Okay, so, question!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

So I decided last week when I was in the doctors with a serious muscle issue in my shoulder (work sucks) I randomly said, you know, I'd like a blood test. So I got one done. In there they scan for hiv/aids/hep unless you have symptoms for other STDs and whatnot.

So I came back negative for HIV.
    However I came back as "reactive" for Hep B. He asked me if I had a Hep B vaccine and I said I'm not sure, I believe so. After some confusion he looked back in my chart and I got the Hep B vaccine back in '94. He said ohhh okay good good that answers my question.

He said that with the vaccine, it will show up at Hep B positive. However, it being a vaccine it should prevent any Hep B period from infecting me.

I guess my question is, how do you tell if you're Hep B positive then? Or is that even a proper question to ask, since you have the vaccine already?

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Well, do you know what a vaccine is? The reason why you are showing "reactive" for Hep B is because when you received the vaccine, you were injected with a dead or weakened form of the virus. In other words, you were "infected" with a weaker form of the virus when you received a vaccine for it. Usually there are mild symptoms such as a slight fever, etc, after the initial inoculation. This causes your body's immune system to produce antibodies to fight any future infections from the full-blown form of the virus.

As for your question regarding how you know you're infected, they do a test for Hep B that measures the amount of the virus in your body. If the amount is higher than a vaccine then you are Hep B positive. You don't have to worry about that though, because you have been vaccinated. Just keep current on your booster shots!

3. Jayce

Gold Member

Hm.. I wonder how long the shots last then?

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Hope that helps Jayce.

5. Jayce

Gold Member

So more or less it's still up in the air if another Hep B shot would be needed... and right now, it's not.

So, I still don't have Hep B or anything, do I? :lol Right? :ugh

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

No you don't. See post #2 for explanation as to why. :lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice