For those into Horses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kronnie, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I know very little about them, except that there are many different types and many of them look like nobel beasts :)

So for those that love horses , and know about them, what type is your faviote and why, and what about these animals is it that you love about them ?

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

Funny you should start this thread, K, tomorrow is my horse's 7th birthday and I was just looking at some pics of him to post a special birthday thread for him on the horse forum I am on.

I have owned many different horses in my life, and worked with many more. I've ridden fiesty young Thoroughbreds, driven massive Percherons (draft horses) and even taught tricks to miniature horses. I love them all. but my favorite is the Paso Fino, . The Paso Fino is of Spanish descent and is a gaited horse, in fact Paso Fino means "fine step" in Spanish. Because of their special 4-beat gait, there is no bounce when you ride them. They are spirited, yet brave and kind horses with a lot of brains and wile. I would not own any other breed of horse, I am hooked on Pasos.

#2 Barbwire, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  3. cbrmale

Gold Member

I like Arabs myself, and I have broken a few in as well (there's a story)! They are gentle horses and perfect for a part-time rider like myself.

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

CL i love those pictures , and your Horse Amante is really a cool and beautiful looking paso fino :)

Yeah CBr i like the Arab horses ( i got to see a great number of them when i used to live in saudi arabia.

There are quite a few near and around where i live (not Arab or Paso fino horses) but a few of them are very elegant looking.

5. thegirl11

thegirl11 New Member

this is my baby :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hes my second. hes a thoroughbred and just turned 8. hes the kind that races like barbaro and those horses. i show in the hunter circuit in my area

#5 thegirl11, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

wow nice horse, and congrats on doing the hunter circuits in your area, any plans on going further with this by the way ?

7. thegirl11

thegirl11 New Member

as in showing? haha well hopefully. but i have to wait till i get out of college first. for now its basically wherever we can trailer to within 6 hours.

ive always been a horse lover:
    [​IMG]

this guys name is johnny by the way...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thats his gorgeous ass (the one on the right)

and of course, my first love (romeo, how ironic):

[​IMG]
    taken a long while ago.

[​IMG]

i trained him from basically scratch, and the only thing that i don't like about that now is that when my boyfriend and i see eachother ;) i have to get my back adjusted from the chiropractor afterwards...

#7 thegirl11, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Looks like a lot of fun though, and i hope in time if your wanting to , that you get to do showjumping at a higher level...i had a female friend that used to do it and she loved show jumping....but sadly she wasnt very good on scates and ruined her knee badly :(...

Ive riden a horse once before , wouldnt mind trying again.
    Exsilaration and a good buzz. plus the speed :)

But you have some great looking horses though.

9. thegirl11

thegirl11 New Member

i have done jumpers (which some people call show jumping.) it is a little different from hunters because hunters is not timed and is actually a lot different from jumpers. my horse is too slow to do jumpers (im sure i could fix that, but the ni couldn't win in hunters) so basically its just two different things. and yes, i at least used ot get awesome adrenaline rushes from it. i don't anymore, i guess just since im so used to it.

hope you get to ride a horse again :)

10. sweet melissa

sweet melissa New Member

Having been involved in hunter/jumper for many years, my favorite is a toss up between Arabians and thoroughbreds. Both very athletic, smart and spirited. Arabians seem to have larger lung capcity which is great for longer hunter courses. But I like the Thoroughbred because although both breeds make good jumpers, the longer gait generally attributed to Thouroughbreds seem to fit my riding/jumping style a little better.

11. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

My apologies , i hadnt realised there was a difference , but then again i dont know much hehe, how many times have you won in the hunters ( did you get any medals/Trophies ?
    Maybe a part of who you are now then as you have done it for a long time ....me i kind of got a big kick out of my first and only time, but the horse i was on was a bit crazy,, was biting the ass of the horse in front hehehe.
    One day i am sure i will try again. thankyou for your comments and wishes about me riding again :)

Did you used to own any horses then Melissa , or still got any horses ?
    sorry for being so nosey ladies, just curious...

( the only famous horse i know by name is long gone sadly ( RED RUM ) an amazing horse in its day..

12. sweet melissa

sweet melissa New Member

When I was a young teen I had one. Then when I went off to boarding school in the US, we sold him as I would only be home on holidays. I was only 14 years old and thought the world would end. After I came home for the summer, after senior year, we leased one for showing until I started university that fall. I've leased and shown only a few times in the ensuing years.
    Strangely, with my love of Thoroughbreds and Arabians, the horse I owned was an American horse, an Apoloosa.
    A great jumper/equitation horse, but quite unpopular with hunter judges. Maybe it was a British thing.
    Oh, and I've heard all the stories about how women mostly ride and how we have orgasms and lose our virginity from riding ETC. I find those things to be bullshit and quite funny now. On the other hand.......

13. sweet melissa

sweet melissa New Member

thegirl111,
    Those are awesome photos. What a beautiful animal. You both show great form also. They make me want to ride again.
    Is that Windcrest Farm in Atlanta?

14. Barbwire

Gold Member

But what about my form? Does it not please you? :lol

15. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

You are all fantastic ....
    But if you all have more pictures that would be really cool.

Nothing like watching a female working a horse ( and i dont mean that in a bad way ) but must be so good being able to be in control of something that has a lot of natural strength spped and power . :)

16. RubyRed

RubyRed New Member

Hi horse lovers! I've never owned my own horse, but I've had the bug since I was a kid. I used to clean stalls in exchange for riding lessons all the time. I learned to ride hunt seat and always loved to jump. I never got to show because I don't have my own horse. Unfortunately, horse ownership is a luxury I've never been able to afford.

Years ago, though, I found my ultimate dream job: I spent a year in the Rocky Mtns working as a wrangler on a dude ranch. It was a very upscale ranch and a really fun place to work in general. We had a herd of about 60 horses. Riding western was new to me but it was an easy adjustment. I also learned to drive a sleigh during the winter, and that was pretty cool.

Now I much prefer a scenic trail ride to the competitive show atmosphere. I rode in my first show just last year (on a friend's horse) and while I'm glad I got to have a go at it, it's not something I feel the need to do again.

My favorite breed is the Morgan:)

17. sweet melissa

sweet melissa New Member

Oh CL,
    You know it does girl. You're perfect but, your heels should be down.:D

18. Barbwire

Gold Member

Instead of putting my heels down, why don't I put them over. Over your shoulders, that is. :phat

19. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

[​IMG]

This of course isnt the actual horse ive ridden before, but it looked a little bit like this..

Ill just pop up a few pictures and see what you ladies think to them . :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Barbwire

Gold Member

Nice pics, K.

I have a 3 year old Shetland pony named Mojo. Once in a while, I use him for community service to get the word out about important events. I am not asked to do it, I am just such a ham and love showing off my pony, I do it for shits and giggles.

These pics are from last Tuesday...

[​IMG]

Here is a short video of Mojo hanging out in the gazebo on the village green.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/graftonbabs/?action=view&current=MojoDidIt.flv

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice