Your job and the other jobs you considered

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Jan 11, 2013.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

I can't come up with a good title for this thread. What I am interested in is what you do and what other things you could have done. Are you content? Do regret any decisions you made?

Unfortunately, I can't talk specifically about my job because I don't want my coworkers to detect me on this forum. I can tell you, however, that I am more or less a problem solver. My job involves travelling (not a lot), meetings, public speaking, writing, math, and management. I really love it, but I would not love it so much were it not for a flexible work schedule that allows me to work on writing at home and other places like coffee shops and restaurants.

At one point I had major regrets about not majoring in music, but I got over that, and now music is my number one hobby. The other things I considered were interior design, theater, elementary school teacher and whatever you have to major in to be a curator.

2. igor

Gold Member

At present I run the phone PBX on a campus (about 1500 phones). I connect phones and program the system. AFter 25 years, I will retire in a couple months.
    Previously I designed test equipment for AT&T (modems, cordless phones, cellular phones, etc). Before that I was a disk jockey & broadcast engineer.
    I don't regret any of it.

3. Essene

Gold Member

Mr. Igor, were you part of the many groups affected by teh many lay offs when they decided that AT&T/Bell Labs had acquired too much control over multiple products and, thus, "trust busted" em?

4. mrcock

Gold Member

all that matters to me now is job, money

I hope I will have it

5. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I work for an engineering consulting firm for the past decade where I got an internship as a senior in high school. When I completed my BS degree this past May my I majored in criminal justice. I'm not happy at my job because it's slowed down and does not stimulate my mind enough nor do I get job satisfaction anymore. I'm currently looking to make a career switch into the criminal justice field...or any job that sounds interesting and pays more.

6. policescanner1

Gold Member

I work in the Tax and Accounting field. I'm currently the VP of a small chain here in the south. Job consist of dealing with customers yearly tax filings ( business and personal) along with corporate accounting. I spent the fist part of my career life in Nursing which I truly loved but after a car accident and broken back I had to make a change. I have a lot of regrets but the major one is not finishing my nursing degree.

7. GreyGoose

Gold Member

at 17 I started stocking shelves then learning sales at Pep Boys. At 19 I got a job with a BMW dealer in parts worked at different dealers in 4 states till thge last dealer laid me off in 08. 8 months later I was a service advisor for Nissan then pay cut in 2012 had me switching jobs. Now I'm content at my current dealer and next year will finally get my chance as manager. Regret it sometimes only because the hours but I like everything else and pay can be great. Oh and I also own my Detailing company it's a side venture for me

8. DuRiechstSoGut

DuRiechstSoGut New Member

well, im a professional dog trainer and i manage a dog daycare/kennel facility. ive been working with dogs for about 6yrs and i dont regret it. the only other thing ive ever really done is racing, breeding and training horses. and that i still do as well.

9. Dicks

Dicks New Member

I'm a farrier and also teach fly fishing

10. DuRiechstSoGut

ive taken my hand at that as well. no one can put borium on a shoe like i can! lol

might i add thats totally sexy :) i love men who can work with horses.

11. ginger

Gold Member

[/QUOTE] might i add thats totally sexy :) i love men who can work with horses.[/QUOTE]

Hey DuRiechstSoGut… Ive worked with / flown aircraft with 60.000-120.000hp (horses) does that count lol :lol

12. DuRiechstSoGut

haha well no sorry... planes actually scare me.... :p

13. Dicks

Dicks New Member

Ha thanks. We don't really use that much borium over here! It's a sexy profession with all these lovely ladies in tight jods

14. DuRiechstSoGut

haha well i race and we use borium in the winter. no jods for me, just jeans :)

15. igor

Gold Member

It was after divestiture in 1986 when I got laid off (along with about 20,000 other W.E. employees). Our plant lost quite a few jobs and there was no place for me. I don't regret being laid off - my job duties got changed and I no longer enjoyed what I was doing.

16. Dicks

Dicks New Member

Still sexy though!