Yay! I am proud of myself!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dreama, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Dreama

Gold Member

So, for easter tomorrow, I'm bringing some stuff to my family's Easter dinner. Of course, I've been vegan since about the beginning of the year, and although I would have brought something anyway, I'll probably be able to have a limited selection of food there, and so it really helps if I can bring a few things, so I have an ensured meal. I've fixed banana pudding to take with me tomorrow, and I have managed to make it completely vegan! I couldn't find any vanilla wafer cookies I could have, and I ended up having to make my own, which turned out great. I'm just so happy with myself, that I wanted to share...My extended family thinks I'm a bit off anyway, and now that I'm vegan, most everyone thinks I've really gone crazy. Every time I see anyone, they always ask if I'm still 'on that crazy diet'....I think maybe I can prove that you can have damned good vegan food if you make it right. I'm also cooking some vegan garlic mashed potatoes to bring, and I can't wait for everyone to try them, also. Anyway, I really wanted to share my success with everyone, even if it is a bit random of me. :)

2. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Dreama...you are just friggin' awesome! I'd say it goes WITHOUT saying that the [mostly;)] open-minded folks on :sf were already quite proud of you even before you made vegan banana pudding. You go girl...sounds tasty! Can you scan some of it and email it to me? :D

Hope it all goes good! Don't let the Easter Bunny bite, I've heard he's a little perv.

BD

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Lol. I wish it were as easy as emailing the pudding. I'd send some to everyone (unless of course, they didn't like banana pudding in general)!

4. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Dreama, I'm sure we'd like any pudding that you sent us, regardless of what you choose to call it. ;)

BD

5. Dreama

Gold Member

I'm sure! Perhaps some day, I'll be able to deliver!:phat:brow

6. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Ohhh...banana pudding....you found my weak spot Dreama:brow
    Hey, can you post the recipe.....:)
    Have a great Easter girl...tried to give you an Easter egg but they were "out of stock" can you believe it.....????

7. Dreama

Gold Member

Here's the recipe, Hot Wheels! Well, some of it might sound weird if you're not used to using ingredients such as tofu in sweet dishes, but here it is. And, I tried some of it this morning, I set aside a little to test, and it's awesome.

2 packages of banana cream
    about 1/2 a package (6 oz) , give or take a little , of silken tofu (it just takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in, and helps to make the pudding creamier.
    2 or three tablespoons of vanilla extract (to taste, really)
    1 banana
    A few tablespoons of water
    Load a food processor, or blender with this stuff, and blend like crazy...You are going to have to stir it, because this stuff is thick.

Now, the vanilla wafers are the things I'm really proud of.

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup ener-g egg replacer (dry) You could also use 1/4 cup arrowroot.
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    pinch of salt
    3 Tablespoons oil of your choosing (you can replace 1 tablespoon of this with water, if you wish)
    3 Tablespoons maple syrup
    2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
    3 tablespoons sugar, or sugar replacer, whatever you'd like to sweeten with.
    If the dough is too crumbly, put a little more water in.

Roll out dough to about 1/4 of an inch on pieces of foil, or wax paper, and put in the freezer until cold, because it's kind of hard to work with if you don't. After they're cold, use a cookie cutter to cut your cookies into the shape you want, and cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes.

I'm sure you know how to assemble the pudding, with the wafers, some cut up bananas, and the pudding. It needs to sit overnight, though, for the cookies to soak up the pudding and soften!

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

Holy crap, Dreama, that sounds like a lot of work. As for me, it's instant pudding thickened with horse hooves. Mmmm, mmmmm, GOOD! ;)

9. cook74

Gold Member

Vanilla beans/pods have a nicer flavor than extract or essence. But your recipes sound delicious. I can well imagine the outcome.:drool

As for a vegan diet...I couldn't do it but if you are a good cook then you can work miracles with any ingredients. :tup

10. Dreama

Gold Member

It was, but I like concocting yummy things to eat, and I really wanted everyone to see that I'm not only a carrot eating freak. (I'm also a banana eating freak) :)

11. Dreama

Gold Member

Yeah, I'd love to use some vanilla beans, but I've no idea where to get them! And, the extract was all I had on hand. But everyone liked it, though my aunt was almost unwilling to try it after she found out it had tofu in it. When she finally did taste it, she liked it.

Well, I never thought I could be vegan before I went for it, but I really wanted to healthily change, and man, you can replace almost anything in some form. Now, a lot of things will taste the same, and most things won't. But, they're still good, so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. So, I can have good food and feel good. But, it's something I personally needed....I don't think everyone should do it, especially if they don't want to.

12. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Good for you Dreama! I bet it was awesome! I make banana pudding on occasion, but it is the non-vegan, old-fashioned southern grandma kind! Carrots are good. Can you make vegan carrot cake???

Happy Easter Babe!

13. Dreama

Gold Member

Not yet, but give me another few months. I'll have one whipped up eventually. I LOVE the plain old southern grandma kind! It was a challenge making it taste like the real thing. I was afraid that I would mess it up, and it would be gross. I was so happy that I made it well. But, believe me, I miss the regular pudding!

14. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

I am proud of you! You made it yummy and stuck to your convictions! YOU ARE AWESOME!

Kisses

15. Dreama

Gold Member

Thanks, FC. I heart you. Plus, you're awesome, too!

Oh yeah, happy easter!

16. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Bananas are definitely good for you. :brow

17. Dreama

Gold Member

They've been great for me, to say the least.:phat

18. slamd097

slamd097 New Member

Damn that looks good...and props to you!! I am only half vegan..lol I eat meat until noon, then for acid reflux reasons, I dont eat anything but veggies, or fish....

19. Dreama

Gold Member

Well, as we know, fish is in fact meat, so I wouldn't say half vegan, but you're well on your way. :D Thanks for the compliment! It was pretty cool. I might just make it again, soon!

20. cook74

Gold Member

I am half vegan too. On one half of my plate I have my steak, while on the other half, nothing but veges. :p

(Was that joke too lame or what??) :eek: