Yahoo security breach. Please read.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

This is kind of complicated, but I will do my best to explain. In my Yahoo email account, on the screen that shows my in box and all of those other folders, there were names popping up saying they were suggested "connections" Apparently, Yahoo has a feature where you can add people that you frequently email to some kind of group. (I never checked into it, so don't know what its all about) Anyways, at first, the names that would pop up were people I knew and, deciding that I didnt' want to do the "connections" thing, I'd just delete the people's names.

The other day, 4 names popped up of people I DID NOT know. After doing some research, I found out that they were friends of someone that had emailed me. Apparently, when she sent me an email, there were a group of people she sent it to, so their email addresses were contained in the email. Somehow, Yahoo grabbed those names and sent them to me as suggested "connections".

I got to thinking, if total strangers names were popping up on me email account, then MY name might be popping up for other people. That made me nervous and angry. I emailed Yahoo to complain, but never heard back from them. I started a new email account with Google and deleted ALL of my emails and pictures from my Yahoo account.

I had hoped to close my Yahoo account altogether, but the program that Google has for chatting is so bare bones, I dont' like it. I will keep my Yahoo account just for IM'ing, voice chatting and camming until I find a suitable replacement.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

2. HardRocker

Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm off to check on mine now.

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

I just heard that hotmail is doing the same thing. :(

4. Squirt

Squirt New Member

You can disable this feature if you do not like it.

Open Yahoo Mail. From the "Welcome" tab, it will say "Hello, (your name)! Profile / Connections". Click on connections and it will take you to a new page. In the upper right hand corner, click Settings. On the Permissions page, right above the "Save" and "Cancel" buttons, click on "hide my profile".

A message will open up stating: "By hiding your profile, people will not be able to search for you, contact you, or invite you to connect. Your profile will not be shown to others and only your display name will be visible.

Click Hide My Profile to continue."

Hope this helps!

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks, Squirt. I already have my profile set to "hidden".

The thing is, suppose I write an email to someone that uses Yahoo email, and say I also have other people's names on the "To:" line. If the other people on the "To:" line don't have their profile hidden, their names can end up as connections suggestions and be displayed to all the people I sent the email to. That is how the stranger's names showed up in my connections suggestions list in the first place and is what alerted me to this issue.

I hope I wrote that so it made sense.

6. Squirt

Squirt New Member

I understand what you are saying. From what I understand though is that they have to be a Yahoo user for their name to appear and really that would be up to them to set their profiles to private to prevent their name from popping up like that. (I don't mean that to sound rude or anything.)

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

Rude? Nah, we cool. :cool

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

I finally figured out how to fix the Yahoo problem. I just clicked on the "options" button in my yahoo account and un-checked the "connections" option in the mailbox settings. Apparently they automatically had it checked to be a default option and I had to un-check it. Now I see to a news headline like before.