Would like others thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AGFUNK, May 14, 2014.

1. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I was reading the news today and apparently they are working on an app for predicting mood changes in people with bipolar disorder which prompted me to read about the latest news on bipolar disorder. There was the usual celebrities that just came out having it, some celebrities that must have it and of course the horror stories. Oh well this person went and killed a bunch of people so they must be bipolar.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on bipolar disorder on here. What do you think about the disorder, the people that have it? I want all of your thoughts just from reading this and not looking up other stuff. I'm really curious to know.

2. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Its real and can (and should) be treated with medication and talk therapy.

3. ginger

Gold Member

not sure i have a view but will ask a question is anorexia linked to bipolar disorder?

ive always maintained that I could cure anorexia o_O

4. AGFUNK

Gold Member

No, it's not. It's a completely separate disorder. That's not to say that a bipolar person can't have anorexia too or vice versa.

5. opnm1nd

Gold Member

I think it's very real and pretty debilitating from the one actual case I've seen and one I've heard about, but I also think it's over-diagnosed, mis-diagnosed and most of the time self- diagnosed. Jmo

6. BlueCollar

Gold Member

Agree with this. My thoughts exactly.

7. CaramelLady

Chronic anorexia is a separate issue, however a depressive episode of bipolar can include symptoms of eating disorders, either under eating due to loss of appetite or even overeating.

opnm1nd and oldkid like this.
  8. JonJo

Gold Member

I agree with the others on this - it is very real, very debilitating and needs correct treatment, not self treatment.

I also agree that for some reason it does seem to be the 'in thing' for celebs to announce they have.

It can have some positive aspects so it is thought; there is a theory that a lot of the great thinkers and artists if they were alive today would be diagnosed as bi-polar.

CaramelLady likes this.
  9. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

As with any mental illness/disorder Bipolar is (and should be handled) seriously, safely, and knowledgeably. It is one of the more frequent diagnoses that I encounter in my current work. I also like to think of myself as being fairly well acquainted with Bipolar due to family/friends/etc.

It is very often misdiagnosed! Alongside ADD/ADHD, Bipolar is one of the "fad" diagnoses that quack psychiatrists like to throw around and medicate people for. This can lead to very serious consequences and complications with long-lasting effects on an individual. (I speak from my own personal misdiagnosis misadventures)
    Never self-diagnose! You could be right. You could alternately be entirely wrong! Don't fall into Psychology Student 101 Syndrome (the "I have EVERY MENTAL ILLNESS EVER!" effect of that class). All of the symptoms listed for mental illnesses/disorders don't mean "I felt sad one day, then I was happy" it means that those particular symptoms have been an on-going part of your life for an extended (i.e. years) amount of time.
    Seek help and assistance! I'm not saying to go crying to all who will hear. I'm not saying jump on the bandwagon of the rest of America (and other places) and start "curing" everything with a pill. I'm not saying go start paying a shrink $140/hour to psychoanalyze you. I'm saying do your research, determine the best approach for you personally, and then FOLLOW THROUGH!

If what you are suffering is fully legitimate Bipolar Disorder then a combination of counselling, medication, and friend/family support is essential. There is no reason to try and handle it on your own. I say all of this with an emphasis on Bipolar (as that was the thread topic) but it can be safely applied to pretty much any sort of addiction, disorder, or health concern.

CaramelLady likes this.
  10. Ed69

Gold Member

My wife was diagnosed with Bipolar mania.Which means she goes from normal to overdrive crazy in 5 seconds.4 councellors told her to divorce me cause I did not have a clue.Then the meds they gave her created permanent nerve damage in her feet and hands and killed he sex drive.And last her mother,father and siblings have walked away never to be heard from again.

After 23 years I'm all she has.I just step back and wait for her to slow down,then we move forward knowing all we have is one another.

11. oldkid

You are becoming less of a mystery every day. More of an enigma. Calls for up close study. Is your vocation in the healthcare field?

12. CaramelLady

A noble thing to care to for the sick and injured, unfortunately I am not a healthcare worker.

JonJo, oldkid and 10_3XL like this.
  13. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

That's distressing! I know that counselling, medication, and all the things I advocated in my reply are not ever an easy thing to find a good fit/balance with. Lots of variables...
    You, however, are a paragon of a man for sticking with it and never giving up on your wife. Hats off to you and wish you all the best, sir! :)

14. oldkid

Strike one. You're up early, aren't you. Don't you have to work today?

15. CaramelLady

Yes I do. I have to be at work at six this morning.:)

oldkid likes this.
  16. oldkid

The early bird gets... oh, hell. I hope you get off early... er...er... yeah.

17. CaramelLady

I get off at 2:30! I am heading straight home. I have not made if back home before 5:00 so far this week. I plan to come straight home and relax!

JonJo and oldkid like this.
  18. oldkid

Mine is a visual imagination. I see you shoes off, in your panties, slouched down in an overstuffed chair, a glass of wine, with your eyes closed.

19. CaramelLady

If any one you know displays symptoms of bipolar disorders get them help immediately! People that suffer from bipolar can be self destructive and are at greater risk to commit suicide!

Medication and mental health counseling can be very helpful. Do not delay if you are someone you know suspect you or they may be bipolar.

oldkid likes this.
  20. oldkid

My namesake son is bipolar. I understand.