World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boobjob, Jun 12, 2014.

1. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

As I listen to the Brazilian national anthem I figured we need a thread.

2. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Go USA for me.

I love any good story and we are off to a good start with Croatia up 1-0

3. ginger

Gold Member

untitled.JPG

well she's holding a football :D

4. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

I thought for a moment she was holding three

HotForHoney likes this.
  5. minskminx

Gold Member

Unfortunately Russia are not very good. Those are the only games I will watch but I don't know when they are.

Maybe we will surprise ourselves!

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

BOOOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGG The only thing worse is golf. Curling has more action.

luvbug likes this.
  7. JonJo

Gold Member

Agree with backchecker64 but at least they do try to use the ball - why does ice hockey bother having a puck?

8. GreyGoose

Gold Member

Forza Azuri I love soccer reminds me of the good times I spent as a kid watching soccer with my grandfather on a little 13" black and white tv before cable only channel that showed soccer was tele mundo

9. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Deutscher Fußball Gruppe über alles!

10. backcheck64

Gold Member

Because without the puck, it'd just be MMA on ice. Actually there is a tremendous amount of skill required to rip a puck at 100 mph past a guy that can react with in tenth of a second into a small section of net.

11. JonJo

Gold Member

Perhaps I've never seen a proper game, only been twice, they both seemed like a cross between a roller derby & wrestling on ice.

loves2ride likes this.
  12. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

You'll also notice a big difference in how physical the game is if you watch Euro, USA, or Canadian hockey. The contrast can be pretty surprising. (At least in the various matches I've watched)

13. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

If it is boring, feel free to ignore it. For you backcheck it's easy. America gives very little coverage to the world's biggest sporting event. I started a thread at http://www.sexualforums.com/threads/for-people-who-dont-like-soccer.44988/. Go there and pontificate on how boring soccer is. Please don't hijack this thread.

lbushwalker, 10_3XL and luvbug like this.
  14. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Getting back to the thread...

Looking forward to today.

Shame that day one is already marred by violent reaction to protests and a terrible call by the ref. FIFA got what they wanted though, two goals by their new darling Neymar.

I have mixed feelings about today. Always hard to cheer for a rival but I want to see CONCACAF do well. I think Mexico has the best chance to go through given the draw.

Spain v Netherlands might be the best match in the early going.

15. BlueCollar

Gold Member

Goooooooooooaaaaaalllllll GO-GO-GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL.
    lol c'mon somebody had to do it.
    For my part I think soccer is awesome. It takes skill to do what they do at their level and outstanding athletic ability

CaramelLady and 10_3XL like this.
  16. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I love how much flak I get from people when I'm openly a Germany supporter and don't support the US team...

17. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Give Jürgen four more years and the US team will be German. I've been a fan of the US team since I read Shep Messing's book and he described his experience in the 72 Olympics. I hope that US soccer doesn't get impatient with Jürgen. I think he is building for the future.

10_3XL likes this.
  18. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I should rephrase. I do support the US team, but My Team is Deutschland...

I'm hoping that pro football (soccer) gets more play here. I heard on NPR not long ago that Beckham was talking about starting a league or something somewhere like Florida... Not sure how serious he was about it.

19. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Soccer just doesn't generally fit into the American and Canadian mentality. It may be football to the rest of the world, but we already have something already called football, that is extremely popular. Gridiron Football is arguably the #1 sport in the USA and seemingly #2 in Canada. These are the two places in the world where soccer has never caught on past youth and high school teams. The North American mentality finds soccer boring and lacking in action. Not surprising, the European opinion of "American Football" is pretty similar.

I think it's an instilled attitude thing. Soccer and Ice Hockey are extremely similar games. One uses sticks, pucks and skates while the other uses boots, bodies and a ball. Beyond that, the biggest difference is the size of the goal nets, but that is relatively proportionate between the size of a hockey puck and a soccer ball. Yet, hockey is hugely popular in North America and lackluster in Europe. The inverse is true in Europe. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that there is little opportunity beyond the amateur level in North America for soccer. Several attempts have been made at establishing pro soccer leagues here, but they just never seem to catch on.

There is more interest in ice hockey in Europe, as a lot of the best amateur players get noticed and often signed to the NHL. However, I only count like 32 players total ever from America that played in the Premier League. There's maybe 4 currently. That doesn't foster a lot of American interest. Even with Premier League games available on most American pay TV systems, 9 AM on a Saturday morning is not an attractive time to American sports fans.

Attitude has a lot to do with this phenomenon. Culture and society has long dictated what the common man is supposed to like, as well as shun. Soccer is not "cool" in North America and American Football is not "cool" in Europe. These are deeply instilled attitudes that are not likely to change much in any of our lifetimes.

xx

20. JackTasak

JackTasak Active Member

I heard somewhere that football (call it "soccer" if you like) became more popular in USA recently.
    That a couple of years ago it was much less popular than now, totaly insignificant even.
    I know that it will never be as popular as american football (which I personally don't even understand) but the tendency looks promising.
    I hope US Team will have some success at the World Cup, and they will encourage people to get interested in this game :)

lbushwalker likes this.