Words or phrases you can't stand

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by yitbos, Jul 16, 2008.

1. yitbos

yitbos New Member

I'm always interested in words or phrases people don't like. I'm not talking racial things at all. I'm talking things you say to someone of the same or opposite sex. For example. Many women hate the word cunt. Some don't like fuck or fuck me.

There is a woman on television here in Phoenix who is the traffic reporter. One day, the new anchor said it's hump day. The traffic woman was off that day and one of the other anchors says, she doesn't like the term hump day.

I always say WTF to that stuff. Not much would upset me in that way but I wanted to hear if there is anything you can't stand to hear or say.

2. Fliteskates

Fliteskates Member

My g/f HATES the word cunt

I found out the hard way one time when I called some guy a cunt when I was really pissed off and my g/f flipped on me... so I never use it anymore...

I don't use it very often , luckily.. but I grew up in a tough environment and I swear a lot (I know bad excuse, but it's all I have)... it's one of my vexes and I try not to swear around my g/f out of respect.. but I do it sometimes without knowing it...

3. heelfetish

Gold Member

I can't stand the word 'bloke'. No idea why, it just irks me. Not a big fan of 'cock' or 'cunt' either, but they don't bother me as much as 'bloke'. I'm weird.

4. Barbwire

Gold Member

I HATE when people call ejaculate "cream". Makes me wanna barf.

Both the term "creampie" and the thought of eating one, make me wanna gack, as well. :puke

I also don't like the word "wank" for some reason.

5. heelfetish

Gold Member

Ooh, just thought of another. "Save 20% off". Just a phrase that has always gotten under my skin for no apparent reason. I don't mind "Save 20%", or "20% off", but putting 'save' and 'off' in the same sentence just seems redundant.

Oooh, speaking of redundant, I hate when people use words redundantly after an acronym. For example: ATM Machine. (ATM = Automated Teller Machine, so ATM Machine = Automated Teller Machine Machine). Or NIC Card. (NIC = Network Interface Card). You get the idea. :)

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Where do I begin...

"Free Gift" (uhm...aren't all gifts free?)
    Final destination (All destinations are final by definition)
    R.S.V.P., please (R.S.V.P means: "respond s'il vous plait" which means "respond if you please." There's no need to say please twice).
    Get on the bus/train/plane (aren't you actually getting in them?)

7. ~emm~

~emm~ New Member

"cream"... hate it

"fanny" and "willy" grrrr... some of my friends say it when they are embarrassed when talking of a sexual nature. i absolutely cant stand it. its a COCK

8. timun

timun New Member

While not exactly of a sexual nature, I hate when people refer to the internet as cyberspace. Anything "cyber" makes me roll my eyes. Cyberpunk, cypherpunk, cybering etc.

9. eandvk

eandvk Member

I hate the word or being called "dude"...........from yrs. ago when I would hear it in high school to now my teenage son and his friends using "dude"...makes me go crazy......

Also do not like the word "cunt"....never have...and never use it....it just sounds so wrong to me.....

10. Kanto

Kanto Member

"Its always in the last place you look."

Duh, when you find it, you stop looking.

11. igor

Gold Member

"ya know"

12. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

The ceiling needs painted.

13. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

I get irked by "whatever"!

Makes me want to say, look if you disagree, have the balls and the brains to express it, and accept responsibility for it!

And in bed generally I prefer sweetness and gentleness over vulgarity and harshness.

14. yitbos

yitbos New Member

Thanks JuicyB, great feedback. I can just see the hand going up with whatever...

It's got nothing to do with sex, but I can't stand "like." People have integrated that word into everyday dialogues. It's not used that way. I like can't believe my dad like wanted me to like wash the car after we had dinner. LIke I was out with friends and like their dad like never makes them wash the car. Like you know what I mean.

Whenever I hear that I say outloud, no I don't know what you mean and stop saying like. You are not "like" something. it never seems to work. However, when I'm teaching class and have students who make presentations, I make sure they know I count the number of times "like" comes up in their sentences.

oh, and in bed, just in case JuicyB wants to know, I enjoy some vulgarity as it heightens the mood and excitement at times. Just about anything is fair game during those great sex events. My wife can throw it out as well as I and she's not shy with the choice words at times.

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Along with, "the car needs washed" and "the carpet needs vacuumed," etc., *shudders*

Another word I can't stand is, "anyways." Why do people pluralize it? It's supposed to be, "anyway." Anyways is not a word.

This is something I see often from people who confuse spoken English with written English: "I could of helped him." It's supposed to be, "could have" or "could've."

16. Dreama

Gold Member

I live in KY, USA...One would imagine that I would be used to the massive misuse of grammar and pronunciation, as well as the multitude of stupid phrases and made up words people use. I cannot, however, abide by someone saying "Libary" instead of "Library". I mean, I've heard people my age and older say that...It really makes me want to give up on life.

Also, I hate it when people say 'pacific' instead of 'specific'. It makes me shudder with annoyance.

17. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

"PIN number"

18. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Core of my being - If you run across this in written form just click the back button or close the book. If you actually hear the phrase spoken aloud you need to exit the coffee shop immediately and make sure the woman wearing the Sylvia Plath tee isn’t following you.

Think outside the box
    - If you can’t think of another phrase to use then you should be stuffed inside a box because you’re brain dead.

Quantum leap
    - Unless you’re a physicist you should avoid the word ‘quantum’ period.

Paradigm shift - Finding a new way to shaft the consumer is not a paradigm shift. That’s business as usual. If you actually encounter a paradigm shift, feel free to use the term.

Granular - If someone says a report needs to be more granular, don’t hesitate, kick them in the balls. Hard. Granular is a word used by corporate weenies because they think it makes them sound more intelligent.

Confidence is high
    - If you’ve ever used that in a sentence you were high.

Manage expectations
    - What that really means is “we don’t know if this will work so let’s make sure if we fail we can say that we expected it might fail”. Say what you mean. Let people manage their own expectations.

Credibility gap
    - Political speak for calling a group a bunch of goddamn liars. Why group? Because there’s no such thing as an individual act in politics. If you don’t trust someone, say so, lest your readers identify a ‘credibility gap’ between you and them.

Less than stellar
    - As in Keanu Reeves’ less than stellar performance in, well, everything he’s ever been in. Just say it sucked.

Critical mass
    - Again, unless you’re a physicist, stay away from their lingo. This one is most often used to mean ’self-sustaining’ so why not just write ’self-sustaining’.

Irregardless
    - WTF? I still don’t know what that non-word is intended to mean. Just don’t use it.

Bellwether
    - Used to refer to leaders or indicators. Doesn’t anyone know that a wether is a castrated sheep? I’m not following the guy with no balls, especially if he’s wearing a bell…

These aren't mine, but I do find many of them particularly annoying, such as "irregardless."

source

19. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Irregardless: "Regardless" is the proper use of this word. Putting an "IR" in front of it negates the intended meaning.

Anyhoo: This word is just a ditzy word. Period.

20. heelfetish

Gold Member

There's that redundancy again. :D

Ooh, my blood pressure rises every time someone says that to me.

I agree, but at the same time, I use that. Because to me, things are mostly in the last place I'd think to look. Usually in a place of last resort, if you know what I mean. When looking for something, I draw up a list of possible places in my mind, and search them in order. Kind of like trying a ring of keys... Often the correct key is the last key on the ring. :eek: