Witnessed an accident yesterday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heelfetish, Jan 31, 2007.

1. heelfetish

Gold Member

Well, I had an interesting drive into work yesterday morning. I was heading to work, and out of the corner of my eye to my left I saw snow flying. The truck that was driving towards me had driven off the road, and hit the side of a driveway in the ditch. The impact sent the 1/2 ton truck 6-8' into the air, and launched the spare tire out of the bed. The truck rolled and landed on it's wheels, the tire landed about 120' away.

While the truck was still in the air I started my u-turn (nobody else was coming in either direction), and I parked right beside his truck. I jumped out and ran over to see if he was OK. Luckily he was moving as I approached, so at least he was alive. I pulled the door open (It was partially stuck on the fender), and asked if he was OK. He responded that he was, that he just had a nasty cut on his forehead. I opened the door all the way and helped him to get out.

By this time 2 other trucks stopped, and one was on the phone with 911. We got him the cleanest rag we could find to help stop the bleeding (None of us had a First Aid kit). A clean rag was better than the dirty sock he was using. :(

We waited for 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive in -28 degree weather. The cops took another 15 minutes after that. I stayed and gave a statement, then continued on my way. The driver told me that the sun was in his eyes, and that he couldn't see.

I took a few pics, but the sun was directly into the lens of my crappy cell phone camera, so they're not great. The truck survived pretty well, but you can see the frame is bent into a 'V' in the middle. IMO, the guy is lucky to be alive.

Where he went into the ditch...
    [​IMG]

The point of impact/launch point...
    [​IMG]

The landing...
    [​IMG]
    (The spare tire landed next to the telephone pole)

The aftermath...
    [​IMG]

2. heelfetish

Gold Member

So that was the start of a not-so-great day. Today started off a whole lot better. :)

3. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

OH WOW!! I am SO GLAD that YOU are OK!! SHEEEZE!!! That was really GOOD of you to stop and go back to see about him, too! A lot of people would have just driven on by! It looks so COLD up there too! May God grant you traveling mercies!

4. heelfetish

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm fine. I was nervous of that flying tire, as good friends of mine were struck by one a few months ago. Once I seen that the tire wasn't heading towards me, I concentrated on getting over to help the poor guy.

I don't know about everywhere else, but here, pretty much everybody stops for something like this. I have never witnessed an accident where someone just kept going that seen it happen.