Will I Ever Make it to The Promised Land?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

Will I Ever Make it to The Promised Land?

There is a magical place called Otter Creek. Rather than me trying to tell you about it in my own words I will just quote what its website says about it.

“The Otter Creek Horse Trails are a series of interlocking horse trails comprising about 65 miles. They are located on both the Independence River Wild Forest Unit of the Adirondack Forest Preserve and on the Independence River and Otter Creek State Forests on the western border of the Adirondack Park in Lewis County. There is an Assembly Area with a trail head parking area, 100 roofed tie stalls, two stud stalls, water system, three mounting platforms for persons with disabilities and accessible toilet facilities.

The trail system uses a series of old, sandy roads and woods trails to traverse a beautiful diverse area with the trails winding their way along spirea flats and wooded areas, accessing picturesque Adirondack ponds and following or crossing Otter, Little Otter, Beaver Meadow, Chase, Burnt and Crooked Creeks and the Independence River.”

I have come to call this place, The Promised Land because I have heard so many people talk about how perfect it is. For years, I have listened to people go on and on about how wonderful it is, and finally, a couple of years ago, I packed up my truck & trailer, loaded my horse and, Mapquest directions in hand, I headed out to meet some friends there.
    Long story short, the Mapquest directions were wrong and after 5 hours of trying to find the place, I headed home frustrated and depressed.

Fast forward to last week… I get an email from a friend telling me that she is going to Otter Creek one last time before riding season is over, and inviting me to join her. I made plans to meet her today and follow her to Otter Creek to ride until Sunday. I spent the week arranging childcare, packing my truck, and preparing my horse for the journey. I even bathed him so he’d be all bright and shiny for the trip. I made arrangements to meet the woman whose child I babysit at a parking lot on the way, so she could take her son and mine until my husband got home from work.

I checked my camping list one last time, grabbed my bags and head for the door. My hands were full, so I asked my son to grab my purse and put it in the truck. I load my horse without incident and pull out of my driveway in a gay mood.

So, down the road we go, two kids, one horse, a cooler full of beer, and me. About 15 minutes into my trip, some bunghole pulls out in front of me and I have to slam on the brakes. I lay on the horn, and feel my foot go to the FLOOR! Instinctively, I reach down and use the manual brakes for the horse trailer and am able to come to a stop before I rear-end the guy.

Shouting obscenities, I am able to pull off the road, turn around and head back home. I had to use my trailer brakes the whole way and it was one scary ride just the same.
    I get home, unload the horse and the kids and make a dash for the house to call the babysitter before she leaves from work to meet us. I walk in the door, and there on the bench, is my purse. Ironic, isn’t it?

So, here I sit, typing a story instead of heading down the highway to meet my friends. I was able to contact a local guy that said he’d have my brakes fixed tonight. I could, theoretically, be on the road again tomorrow headed towards Otter Creek, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Will I ever make it to The Promised Land? Stay tuned…

2. charged

charged New Member

Damn CL......that SUCKS!!!! Lets hope you get everything fixed and can head out tomorrow morning. My fingers are crossed for ya.:)

Charged

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks, Charged, I hope so too. I guess unless you've ever packed for a horse camping trip it's hard to understand all the prep work involved. I'm really bummin' right now.

I was really looking forward to getting out, away from my wifely and motherly duties to just be Barbara for the weekend. :(

4. cook74

Gold Member

Shit CL!!:eek Hope you get there before the weekend is over:nerv

It sounds like such a good getaway.

5. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

but, CL - baby - it all happened for a purpose. You left your damn purse!! You wouldn't have known it, had the near-miss not happened.
    I bet you are well on your way to your fun-filled weekend now, and perhaps even able to laugh about the circumstances.

Have a good time, hon. Drink that beer... make sure you breath in the "fresh green air" (don't forget to hold it in :lol ) and we'll see ya' on the flip side!!

<kisses> :rose

6. Barbwire

Gold Member

:phat I'm back!:phat

Anyone care to see some pics of my horse camping adventure?

7. Rose

Gold Member

But, of course!

:popcorn

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thought you'd never ask! Check out this shit! OK, so last you all knew, I was fucked, right? I mean, my truck has shot it's wad all over Route 2. I got a truck load of kids, a horse in the trailer, and about 3K worth of assorted horse thingys.....I limp my way back up the mountain, using the manual breaks on the horse trailer. The kids are freaked, I'm swearing like a country gal that has had 3 older brothers teach her the fine art of cussing. Whatever words they didn't teach her, her mother and grandmother did, btw. I digress...

I get home, unload kids and horse, stomp upstairs. I call the man down the road and Bob's your uncle, he's going to fix the truck and I will have it by 10 pm THAT NIGHT! I almost shit my pants from excitement! There was a chance. A beacon of hope that I would make it to The Promised Land.

So, I calm the kids down, give them their game controllers, and I unhook the truck and trailer. Nah, forget about it, it's too fucking long a story anyways.

Yadda yadda, I'm on my way to Otter Creek 6:30 am. I saw the sun coming up and could not be selfish enough not to share it with people. So, I pulled over and snapped a couple of shots.

[​IMG]

9. Barbwire

Gold Member

I drove 4 1/2 hours and set up camp at Otter Creek, Met some of my girlie friends there and we commenced with the horse camping.

Here are some pics along the trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rose

Gold Member

Oh, wow! Absolutely majestic, CL!

... and, is that AUTUMN unfolding in that last picture? Seems like a million miles away from my weather today! glad you got there, and had a good time.

11. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks, Rose. The last picture was a very tough shot to get. We were in a grove of trees, I don't have a clue what kind they were, but they were turning color when most of the other trees were still green. The little sapling trees were all tight to the trail and as we flew along it's sandy surface as it snaked it's way along. My horse stood like a statue for the picture, but he was breathing so hard, the picture was blurred. I just LOVE to go fast! Woot! Woot!

Riders at the creek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the bridge we were crossing in the above pic.

[​IMG]

This is my horse, Amante

[​IMG]

12. charged

charged New Member

Awesome pics....sounds like you had a blast.
    Welcome Back!!!

Charged!!

13. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Wow...what a beautiful place...no wonder you were so keen to get there...
    Glad you had a great time and came home safe....:D

14. Dreama

Gold Member

Where is otter creek?

15. Barbwire

Gold Member

It really was worth all the hassle I went through to get there. I've done a lot of riding around the state, and that was some of the best.

The only bad part was, I only saw one cute cowboy and he was paired up. :eyes

Dreama, Otter Creek is in northwestern NY.

16. cook74

Gold Member

Very nice photos CL:tup Shame about the cowboy:(

Looks like you had a great trip anyway, Lucky Gal:)

17. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

Glad you had a great time. I love to see people do something. So many just set and feel sorry for themselves.:)

18. Dreama

Gold Member

It looks absolutely beautiful

19. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Damn CL that makes me wish i had a horse instead of a bike,
    Those pics are great.
    I'm going to the Greenbriar River Trail in late Oct to do a 79
    mile trail in nothing but beautiful mountains.
    We will fish and camp along the trail. Just bought a bike trailer (baby)
    for my tent and bed roll.
    Wanna go with us, Horses are allowed.
    Skinny dippin along the way is mandantory, (Our rules)

Hiker

20. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Horses...

...are treacherous and evil. They will kill you or themselves or both or die trying. Never trust a horse. They are either far too smart or far to stupid.

If you have to put gas in it, you're OK. :lol