Why Marriage

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by DStud, Apr 14, 2010.

1. DStud

DStud New Member

Why do people get married in such a rush:eyes?

Then 1 year later they want a divorce:ugh

Then the person with the higher income gets screwed?

If there was a contract that I could sine right know were I could never get married I would want to sine it with blood. :p

2. igor

Gold Member

If I understand this correctly, I would respond that nowhere does it say you have to get married. And if you do and want certain conditions to apply you can sign a contract spelling it out.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

My wife and I spent over a year thinking up different scenarios and possibilities, discussing how we thought we each would handle or feel about things. Everything from finances-which we don't divide, we combine everything - to child rearing. We've lasted almost 26 years at this point. I'd do it all over again.
    We didn't sign anything but the license.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

Yes, I mean, marriage isn't for everyone. However, it was for me, even at 20 when I got married. I'm happily so, and if things do go wrong, we have planned the eventualities out mostly so that we will have some sort of action to go on with one another. I don't regret one second of it so far; it's only been two years, but it has been pretty great.

5. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Not to go off on a tangent but, would you also require a cosiner? Just trying to get the right angle on your point...

:D

6. HardRocker

Gold Member

Now just a secant, you're just being obtuse, LP.

7. htoad

htoad Active Member

I agree with this. Most people do not discuss these things beforehand. They are in such a rush to be with someone that they ignore a lot of warning signs, and assume that just getting married will magically fix them.

You should date someone long enough to see their "bad" habits, and how they deal with problems or when things do not go their way - and then decide if that is a habit/reaction that you are willing to accept. For example, someone who, when they run into difficulties, are quick to blame others will very likely, when (not if) difficult times arise in marriage, blame their spouse instead of trying to work together on the issue.