Why is it called foreplay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Foreplay and Techniques' started by irresister, Feb 28, 2007.

1. irresister

irresister New Member

Do most people still consider intercourse sex and everything else foreplay? I ask because I have my best orgasms through manual stimulation of my clitoris AND most women experience orgasm while masturbating through some sort of stimulation of their clit, but rarely through intercourse alone. See what I'm getting at?

2. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

For me intercourse + masturbation = the mother of all orgasms. That's why I still consider intercourse the main event. :)

I see what you're saying, I think it's an issue of comfort. It takes time to figure out how to incorporate both manual stimulation and intercourse successfully, to get the most of both.
    I think women who are able to get to that point, would agree, that combination is more fulfilling than simple, solo masturbation.

I could be wrong, I only speak from my own experience.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

I'd say it's all sex. From the time I first kiss her neck, till the time I'm chillin' back down, it's sex sex sex.

4. cbrmale

Gold Member

I have always called it sex, and the being naked and holding each other and kissing is sex and the multiple orgasms for my wife from me doing oral on her is still sex.

Intercourse = sex is a Western thing, a hang-over from the Christian doctrine that sex was only for procreation. That doctrine is past, so I don't see a need to compartmentalise it anymore.

5. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Yep - definitely a Western Civilization theory that sex is only considered "sex" if there is penis-to-vagina penetration.

There was a thread here a year or so ago, discussing whether other forms of sexual gratification and manipulation were, indeed, sex. Some very good responses. It is common practice, even among 'religious' teens to have oral sex and not feel that they have had 'sex'.

[​IMG] HHHHmmmmmm - I remember a particular politician once said... "Just what IS 'sex'?" ...... and " I did not have 'sex' with that woman...!"

6. Thorn

Gold Member

If his wife, Hillary, becomes president I wonder if she will re-do the "Oral Office?" :lol

7. igor

Gold Member

I guess that a simple definition might be, as you said, to call all sex play other than intercourse - foreplay. Many women only cum from clit play (manual or oral). To me, that is still "sex". I also believe that oral is "sex". But "sex" can be foreplay...... gets confusing doesn't it?

8. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

I think...... that the idea of foreplay, or the request for foreplay, is simply that other things happen before a guy goes cock deep into a woman and expects her to be rarin' to go. Foreplay is the act of making sure your partner is aroused before engaging in any kind of sex....... it's the phone call from work that you miss him/her. It's the deep looks and the sexy kisses....those things that make ya want to head for the bedroom.

9. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

I was just getting ready to say that. I think the question was,
    Attention Why is it called foreplay?

Everyone but Mel seems to be going off at a tangent.
    Their is no putting sex and sex in different compartments as sex and sex
    are the same, Anything you do sexually including foreplay is having SEX
    but the question was about foreplay not about sex.
    the act of foreplay is any thing you do to get ready for penetration.
    lets split the word Fore=before, Play= playing with her tits/His cock whatever
    it is you do to get your partner lubricated or aroused enough to allow penetration.

Getting off my soap box now.

Hiker:sf

10. irresister

irresister New Member

What do you think of when some one says sex? Intercourse, right. But since most women don't orgasm thru intercourse alone, what function does it serve to call only intercourse sex.

11. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

This Part i added in has come from this link, check it out and see what you think.

http://www.infosex.com/foreplay.htm

Is oral sex foreplay?
    Many people see foreplay as any sex activity except intercourse. Oral sex, clit stimulation and mutual masturbation are considered foreplay by some. We, on the other hand, consider foreplay as anything that doesn't involve genital contact - kissing, talking, massaging, dancing, seducing, talking dirty, roleplay and so on. We consider anything that involves touching the genitals to be sex - oral sex, clit sex, manual sex (hands on genitals). Now we're not going to get into any extended argument about definitions, but we consider these to be 'main course' activities, not starters. Anything that has a good chance of leading to orgasm, we would consider 'sex', regardless of whether intercourse is involved. Some people may still believe that only intercourse can truly be called 'sex' - most likely the people who've never heard of the clitoris or the g spot.
    So no, oral sex is not foreplay, its sex (we reckon). It's not called oral foreplay! By all means, have oral sex, but do it after lots of actual foreplay.

#11 Kronnie, Mar 2, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  12. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Good question Kronnie
    I would tend to call it intercourse, As you did enter Her.
    But like I said before its all SEX. intercourse and foreplay.

13. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I kind of agree...But on some levels, i dont.

Using a bad (not sure if this is the right word for this ) analagy, Imagine a Picture and the frame, the picture itself is foreplay, the frame the intercourse..
    I gues i was bought up to see foreplay as the really fun part, the arousal of both partners, to the point were both are just gagging to feel the other combine to make one...and after the SEXUAL INTERCOURSE, thats when the afterplay starts, basicaly an appetiser for round 2 :p

14. irresister

irresister New Member

Fun discussion, thanks you guys for your honesty. I have alot more words for what I originally thought.

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

I'll put on my anthropoligical psychologist hat here and disagree. The comparmentalisation of sex is a Western Christian construct, because Christianity originally believed that the only value to sex was procreation, and therefore intercourse WAS sex, so the other things that led to intercourse had to be something else. We have passed that now, and while Christianity has taboos on sex, they certainly encourage the entire sexual experience for married couples.

For me, sex may start when I take my wife's nightie off, or slide her panties to the floor, or first kiss her. At that point my heart is racing, I feel the sweat on my body, my penis is stirring, she is getting wet, it is sex. No genital contact, but it is sex.

16. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Just to settle what exactly what foreplay is

17. cbrmale

Gold Member

Of course the above assumes that you thing that there is something called 'foreplay' in the first place, because the term is unique to Western society, and all other societies and religions I've come across call sex, sex.

18. yorkiesmurf

yorkiesmurf New Member

fore = ahead / before
    play = slang for sex

fore + play = before sex

19. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I believe "foreplay" is an ideology, and not an exact science.
    What is perceived as foreplay to some is considered sex to others.

20. girljo

girljo New Member

Foreplay is a word invented for people who do not know that it takes time for a woman to warm up. I agree with bighiker's list provided. All the other things are sex and are wonderful. But some guys just need a term to know that they can't always just roll over and "stick it in".