Why immature inexperienced drivers shouldn't be permitted to drive in the snow!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silverback, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Silverback

Silverback Member

My Dad has left his £60k BMW 7 series at mine while he goes to work and some clown driving to fast in the snow has wrapped his mum's £6k Renault Clio around it :-(

Attached Files:

2. JGB191

JGB191 Member

I'm from the deep south part of Texas so I have never seen snow before.

My sister lives more than 500 miles north of me in the Dallas-Fort Worth area; they see snow about once every other year on average. She tells me that even merely the threat of snowfall in the area, everything come to a grinding halt -- roads, government offices, schools, businesses, etc. It doesn't even have to snow, just a simple advisory is enough to shut the entire city down -- no one wants to take any chances even up there. I'm just glad I don't live that far north.

#2 JGB191, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  3. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

That's too bad. I live in the southeastern US, and heavy snow is rare. A product of our little snowfalls is black ice, where there is some melting of the white stuff, which refreezes invisibly on the roads. Even experienced snow drivers cannot control their vehicles once they hit the ice, so we have lots of accidents here when wintry weather blesses us. People think because they can drive on snow that they can do the same on ice.... Glad no one was hurt when your dad's car was hit....

4. CruelTease

Gold Member

I passed my driving test in June, this has been my first winter driving. I've been fine but I've seen many silly people, both new & experienced drivers, young & old make a mistake, perhaps be driving a little fast and end up in some kind of accident in the snow.

I watched a 40+ year old man overtake me in his BMW earlier today, his car hit slushy moushy stuff and swerved all over the road, almost hitting my car then he landed in a field.

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Yeah, not to minimize but that's hardly "wrapped around". And as CT said, mistakes, dumb or otherwise, are made by everyone.

That said, sorry it had to happen to you.

6. loveit247

Gold Member

Ah well, at least it was just a BMW. LOL! JK, You know how Merc and BMW drivers are, it is either one or the other.

Please tell you father that I am so sorry, I love my car more then anything and if someone drove into her they would be examining their arsehole through their naval!

7. nyxx

nyxx New Member

yeah, snow amplifies the horrible driver techniques. at first snowfall in toronto there is about 300 accidents on the roads. its like these people haven't seen snow there entire lives. we get it every year but the first snowfall is like a death trap. people who live in snowy areas should have to take a licenese test in the snow. that'll weed it out.
    sorry about your dads car man, i always put mine in the garage during winter. saves accidents and i don't have to wipe snow off every morning, lol.

8. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Southerners should also not be allowed to drive in the snow. I see a lot of accidents in the snow, the plates are almost invariably from somewhere warm (georgia, florida...) If you've never driven in snow before, don't try, or at least go really slow :p

9. CruelTease

Gold Member

Everyone has to learn some time. I'm lucky, my car is like a tank when it comes to snow. I just take my time and remember to brake early & gently.

10. nyxx

nyxx New Member

cruel tease, thats how you should drive. slow and steady is the safest. i also heard that dropping into neutral helps when stopping.

11. JGB191

JGB191 Member

Not if you live in a location where snowfall occurs once in a century on statistical average, as is in my case; I think the last time snow was recorded in my hometown was 74 years ago. :cool

And should a miracle happen where we get snow again, everyone just will stay home until after it all melts.

#11 JGB191, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

I really think it needs to be said here. The best way to learn something is by getting out there and doing it. I learned how to drive in the snow by...

You guessed it. Getting out there and driving in the snow. It doesn't mean I was an idiot about it, but experience and mistakes are the best teacher. Besides, those kind of things are why we have insurance.;)

13. Silverback

Silverback Member

My dad's wasn't wrapped, I used 'wrapped around' because apparently his more or less disintegrated on impact.

It's a good job my dad's is a tank and it was just parked up. I'd have had it in the garage but it doesn't fit. Anyway, the lad driving was alright as far as I know. I wasn't in at the time so didn't see him, but his mum did come round the next day to apologise on his behalf. The insurance are dropping around a Volvo S60 later on today.

14. Silverback

Silverback Member

You're best putting it in 1st rather than neutral. In first the engine will keep the rev's down and the speed, in neutral the car can run away with itself.

15. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

No, that's only if you don't know what you are doing. There is a proper way to stop on slippery roads, but it takes some practice. Dropping to neutral should only be used by people who don't know what to do on slippery roads.

16. luvbug

Gold Member

I have driven on snowy roads...and didnt like it one damn bit!! Thats why my ass stays home or else hubby can drive!!! I panic too easily.

17. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Hey! I can drive on snow. I didnt generalize about all the non-southerners that crash in our ice, now did I? Let me drive you in the snow, baby....

18. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

That sounds too scary, but I'll let you ride me in the snow.

19. HardRocker

Gold Member

I love driving in the snow. I've done a few road trips in it. It's a nuisance after the novelty wears off.

20. Silverback

Silverback Member

Like I said in an earlier post it's too big for the garage!

The recovery people came out yesterday evening with the courtesy car. They sent the poor bloke in a wagon too small for my Dad's car too. So they have got to come out again today to collect it. They can't say what time it will be so I have another day spent in waiting