Why does crying help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Animularisen, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

when your depressed?

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It doesn't. I find that indulging strong emotions such as anger or sadness intensifies them. Whenever I'm sad and depressed, crying only makes me more depressed. There have also been studies that have shown that punching a pillow or throwing things when you're feeling angry only makes you more angry.

3. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

I'm a big cry baby, when I get depressed I cry...usually i look at myself in a mirror and just get angry w/ myself that i am having a little pity party for myself and i shape up rather quickly after that because it can't be all that bad. Right??

4. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

I guess it's really different for each person.. It helps me sometimes if I'm really down about something, but it only makes it worse when I'm mad.

5. RainbowMuncher

well.. considering i suck at letting my emotions out.. sometimes it helps.. sometimes it doesn't, though I have completely trashed my room out of rage and sorrow before..

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

#7 Kronnie, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  8. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

Yeah... I never ever know why I'm depressed tbh.
    Today i woke up in a extreamly bad mood which got worse over the day.
    I of course took it out on the nearest thing to me...
    my boyfriend on MSN... and I nearly finished with him.......

Then when I went offline i cried to myself for about 5 minutes... not long but it felt really good... and afterwards I wasn't completely happy but I felt better... like a pressure was off me... I was thinking the depression might of started because of the pain i got from sleeping...

I've nto had good sleep for the past 2 weeks... woke up every morning with what felt like a hangover and a shot to the head... I've been thinking its my pillows tbh... so i'm buying new ones and hopefully i'll have a REFRESHING nights sleep ^_^

9. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Pillow wise i sleep with one firmish pillow and then a very soft pillow ontop of that...

I get depressed like you as well, some days ill be happy as anything, others down in the dumps kinda strange cause like you hun i have no idea what brings on the downer.

10. Pride

Pride New Member

I was always told crying solves nothing. When i get depressed i tend to sleep a lot. I TRY to get out and do stuff or think about something else to get my mind off it. But sleeping is usually what i wind up doing.

11. minxy3

minxy3 Banned

i dunno about depression but ccrying has helped me alot over the past week as i have just lost a member of my family who i was very close to, i knew it was going to happen soon and i was really happy the day she died( so that she wasnt suffereing any more) but i was also real upset so i cried my heartout for a whole half hour and then i was fine :) i was happy and relieved that i had been with family when it happened xx

12. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

For many guys they have been brought up to see crying as a girly weakness, and that it isnt beneficial to them in any way, and that showing emotions is wrong and vad.....all this type of teachings are wrong and to me extremly stupid.

we are emotional creatures, crying is an emotional respnoce and is natural, it also does a lot of good, as it is a form of release, where as sleeping is an escape not a release.

13. Dreama

Gold Member

Crying helps me when I'm feeling sad. I let the emotions wash over me and pass through, rather than repressing it and being still sad later. I find that it is a way to help me deal with stress and overwhelming emotions. There is nothing wrong with being sad, angry, or anything else. Just don't let it hurt you....Express your feelings, and let it go.

14. Pride

Pride New Member

Well i actually agree with it though. Just because you dont cry doesnt mean you cant show emotion. But crying is somewhat a waste of energy imo.

I have not cried because of physical pain since i was like 5 or so that i can think of. Since then i have broken 2 wrist (one i had to wait around with it broken for bout 4 hours at the hospital with no pain releife) i literally passed out due to pain. I have broken my nose a couple times as well as a knuckle and pulled some muscles.

And i have not cried over something emotional since my sister died when i believe i was in 6th grade. I dont know but i tend to believe that it does notthing for me. It wont make any pain go away. If anything it will make me have a headache and feel sick. which is worse.

Just my personal opinion though.

15. black king

black king New Member

Last time I really cried was when my girlfriend of a year and a half left me with very little explanation as to why (all she said at the time was "it's just not working out"). I spent quite a lot of time crying, and a couple of times I tried drowning it with drink.

Back to the point, however: the act of crying in and of itself doesn't help, but it is instead a physical sign that you are allowing yourself to feel your sadness; just as when you you hit something repeated when angry, you're allowing yourself to feel that emotion instead of simply bottling it up. And once you've allowed yourself to feel it and release it, it doesn't weigh so badly on your shoulders. If you simply pretend that it isn't there, or force it to the back-burner, you simply end up being affected by even the smallest stimulus.

I'm terrible for this; when I'm angry, I force it to the back because I don't want to hurt anyone, but eventually, I'll get to the point where even the smallest thing will set me off.

16. Pride

Pride New Member

Im pretty much different with anger....when im mad usually you will know it.

And i think you can let out sadness without crying over it. Its not like it runs out with your tears.

17. black king

black king New Member

I must have been a little too verbose with the stuff that followed, but here is my attempt at clarification: crying is a sign of emotion, much the same as smiling and laughing. Smiling and laughing deliberately don't make you feel an emotion, but they will both happen involuntarily if you do. Crying; in joy, sadness or frustration, is simply a sign of the emotion behind it; generally the most intense sign.

Does that make things clearer?

18. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

Alcohol + Valerian root == Heaven

19. willys525

willys525 New Member

I read semi-recently that letting it out is always the way to go with things. If you get pissed it said let FUCK come out, don't hold it in. I find the best thing to do is to let it out. Though I don't find myself crying often I do get pissed a lot and when I curse or hit something(of course never hit a woman) it helps. You never want it all to build up in you.

I don't find crying for a guy a weakness at all. Though I don't cry about physical pain, I have cried or at least teared up over emotional things, like death & I've broke down over fights with my girlfriend before.

20. alex5219

alex5219 New Member

A good cry can be very cathartic, and it can leave you feeling refreshed.