Why are males or females so critical of one another or the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Notta, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Notta

Gold Member

I have been noticing more & more how as a society we've become hooked on stereotypes whether it's gender issues, weight, looks, whom we choose to date/marry,? I just don't understand it, not saying that I have ever been exempt from doing this myself. Today I try to make a big effort in treating other's the way I wish to be treated and that's with Respect.

2. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I think that a lot of it has to do with what I refer to as people taking the Easy Option. It's easy to go along with stereotypes, assumptions, and prejudgements. It's the path of least resistance; which is what people naturally gravitate towards. No, it is not always the Moral, Right, or Good choice - in fact, it rarely is - but it is most frequently the one with which people go. It's made more powerful and alluring because people like to label it as tradition or convention or "Just What People Do/Just The Way Things Are." It's not in many people's nature to buck against what is overwhelmingly portrayed to them as Truth.

And the thing is - hardly anybody is going to do/say a damn thing if you take that Easy Option -- and if they do, then guess what? Use the Easy Option! Label them and write them off with something like being the "Political Correctness Police" or a "Social Justice Warrior" or whatever other label/term you want. Boom. Done. No more worries for you and that person has been neatly pigeonholed.

It is far more likely you will receive positive reinforcement and praise if you decide to go along with the Easy Option; that Path of Least Resistance. Taking time to challenge stereotypes, assumptions, et al. -- and being conscious of yourself and your social surroundings - that's the Hard Option. That's the Path of Resistance. It's going to have a lot of people shitting on you and your efforts; questioning your motives; actively trying to shut you down and shut you up. Because it makes them uncomfortable. Because it forces them to see that maybe there is a little ugliness in their world view...

Sorry, I'm getting off on a serious rant here. I'll stop myself there (for now). :)

GuyBme and CLE32793 like this.
  3. Notta

Gold Member

Thank you for your post, I just have been thinking about this a lot lately and was very curious to see how others feel about this. You brought up some good points, again I say Thank you for your willingness and honesty in sharing!!!

4. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

This is a topic that I feel very passionately about, and so can rant and wander on about at ridiculous lengths. That's why I cut myself off when I did with my post.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, though. I'm interested to see where the discussion goes. :)

Notta likes this.
  5. Notta

Gold Member

Me too

6. DayPlay3

Gold Member

True, in today instant tech world you just have access to more information faster.

However, I don't believe humans today are any better or worse that human at any other time. The human experience is
    a constant. Every generation thinks they had it harder and they are somehow more enlightened. Humans are tribal beings.
    1000 years ago your "tribe" was your village. Today it's your Political party or Religion or Music Genre
    or sports team etc, etc. Some people feel they are somehow empowered by belittling people of other tribes.

Sweetlysad and CLE32793 like this.
  7. Josh Olswang9

Josh Olswang9 New Member

I think there are people that just like to create drama. It really shouldn't matter if your a man or woman, or alien for all that matters. It shouldn't matter if your black or white or yellow, or even green. Some people just want attention and the easiest way to get attention is to make a remark about how a person looks or acts. Now, not all people are the same obviously, were all different people inside, but some just want attention.

8. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Bump, I definitely have an opinion on this but I have to do something and I'll post later today. Very interesting thread.

9. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Hey, @CLE32793 - you never got back to us on this one. :)

*Bumpin' this thread like a 1994 techno party*

10. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Couldn't remember where it was, lol. At least not when I had an opportunity to post, like now, I'm on my phone.