Why are all dating sites stupid?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Alex64311, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Alex64311

Alex64311 New Member

I'm single (happy single).. but once a while I feel lost. I need a hug, a kiss... you get it.

So I've registered at several dating sites, but they all suck. And the main thing, I know they suck, but I don't know why (yeah, they all are expensive or there are a lott of fakers, but that isn't what I mean) ALL these sites suck but I don't know WHAT sucks on the sites.

Are there other people who experienced the same? And can someone tell me WHY these sites don't meet my/your needs?

2. nurseharley

Gold Member

if you know they suck, why do you sign up to them? i dont understand...

try other methods if they arent meeting your needs

3. awakened

awakened New Member

We are in Texas and my best friend in her 40's has tried the dating sites and she says they suck. She even went as far as marrying someone from the most popular site and he ended up being a complete opposite as soon as they said I do. Very scary, Very !!!

As is i am leading a "secure" sex life hahaha

4. sinner

sinner New Member

My wifes best friend has tried many sites with the same results. I believe that there is no substitute for two people building a relationship over time. Even love at first sight and other quick hook ups involve certain give and take. Discussion of mutual interests which the sites seem to rely on are part of it but nothing can replace the non verbal cues and body language of actually meeting someone. I find that most of the couples we know met in some platonic setting without expectations and then they were pleasantly surprised to find a mutual attraction. Dating sites put all the expectations up front. I truly believe expectations are relationship poison.

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

Why the hell do people marry before they know each other? People don't plan their lives very well. I know plans are always tenuous, but at least talk about what you both want, likes, dislikes, etc. I guess it's desperation.

6. Alex64311

Alex64311 New Member

I know, that was the past, I was a fatty and girls didn't see me standing. I went to the gym and gained self-confidence. So I don't need those sites anymore!

But last week a friend of my asked me the same question, so I wondered why..

7. Beach

Beach New Member

When I was recently divorced I Started a Myspace account.. more out of curiosity than trying to hook up. I stayed busy dating and had a ok time of it while I did it. Eventually a myspace friend reallly pushed that I try this free dating site she had found.. reluctantly I eventually gave in a set up a account. Again dating was pretty easy and I had nice time of it generally. I found my current GF of 4 years there..(or rather she found me..lol)
    Shes beautiful, smart and for reasons unknown has taken a liking to me... :)

I think the key is being honest and open. And go SlOW... Yeah I ran into some odd people and creepers, but taking it easy pretty much allowed me to weed out the odditys.

8. Alex64311

Alex64311 New Member

The site still exists?

9. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

I don't think the sites suck as much as you have to weed out the people who suck. I have used two free sites, as I refuse to pay for the same group of people that I can be introduced to for free. I have met some nice guys on the sites, but even I got sick of the game and now I don't use them at all. In the future, when I am ready, I will jump on the sites again to meet people.

Meeting people on the internet is really not much different than meeting them in a social setting in person or being fixed up, you just have to be careful, go slow and get to know them, the same as you would if you were actually meeting face to face for the first time.

I echo the sentiment that if the dating sites are not meeting your needs go elsewhere.

10. Beach

Beach New Member

You said it better that I could ! My thoughts exactly...:)

Alex I'll PM you the site.. I don't know if they are set up for your area though.

11. Texas_Red

Gold Member

IME dating sites are meat markets filled with window shoppers, everyone is a gourmet and a food critic, and nothing is good enough.

12. Beach

Beach New Member

wow man.. Sounds like you had a bad experience. There are shallow narsisstic people online for sure, but there are good ppl. Out there.

13. Texas_Red

Gold Member

My experience is in years of trying it out, I've managed to exchange messages a few times, and met someone once. The vast majority of people read the message you send, and don't even bother to check your profile before summarily dismissing you, or give a cursory glance at your profile and then never message at all. Anecdotal as it may be, I speak from experience, and I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Obviously not every persons experience will be the same, but I have to point out that if dating sites were so successful at matching people, then why are there still so many thousands and thousands of people populating these sites looking for Mr/Ms Right?

I personally think the problem is that too many people are hung up on their fantasy man/woman, and will not bother with anyone who is less. Thus they fail to ever find anyone or meet the persons who could very well be a great match.

14. Alex64311

Alex64311 New Member

Matching people on a datingsite is nonsense. Not everyone is looking for a person with the same intersts. It's the complete package whats making a person interesting!

15. Happy8642

Happy8642 New Member

If you are so desperate, take a look at *link removed* site...

#15 Happy8642, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  16. Alex64311

Alex64311 New Member

Hahah no, I don't need a dating site at the moment.. but thanks!

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

Never used a dating site, didn't exist when I was dating. Most of the single people I know often find dates through friends. Got any friends that could hook you up?