Who's read "The Game"?

Discussion in 'Sexual Foreplay and Techniques' started by BassDude, Oct 26, 2008.

1. BassDude

BassDude New Member

You know...this is the "pickup artist's bible", written by Neil Strauss. Anyone? Eye-opening book. I've never been a "pickup artist" my whole life (and probably only because I've never actually tried to be a PUA), so I decided maybe it would be an interesting read. Lots of psychological manipulation involved...interesting...I'm completely capable of that, just never chose to manipulate anyone, contrary to the occasional idiotic belief that's been thrown at me from time to time. I don't hesitate to influence, but I also make it clear that "I'm going to attempt to influence you". I draw the line at manipulation because I like to live an honest life. However, there's some parts of it that I realize that I just do naturally (I do kinda have the gift of gab, embellish stories to make them funnier, etc., and am unafraid to talk about anything.)

I'm several chapters into it, and decided to try some of the "techniques" on my long flight today. I was goofing off with the people sitting around me, this hot and young little blond (mid-twenties, I'd say) goes to the bathroom on the plane, then comes back down the aisle, stares at me the whole walk, smiles at me, I make eye contact, smile at her, then disinterestedly look away, and continue engaging the people around her. (Engaging the group but ignoring the target...sound familiar?) She's sitting behind me, and I spot her looking at me. So, I get up and walk toward a restroom behind her, I stop and ask her "Are you old enough to have fun?" She says "Ummm, yes." (Issuing a neg that challenges her self-esteem.) I said "Then meet me by the bathroom." I waited by the door for the current occupier to exit, and could see her from my position...she sat up, squirmed in her seat, squirmed some more, and squirmed some more. (Get her aroused by creating or playing on a fantasy.) I turned to see the person coming out of the bathroom, then turned to see her walking up to me...she paused for a second, looked at me for few seconds and I at her, then she dropped her eyes and walked on past me. When I came out of the bathroom, some dude was sitting in her seat, so I asked the flight attendant "what happened to the blond who was sitting there?" She said "She requested to be moved back with her boyfriend." :lol

Hmmm...I obviously created quite a bit of temptation with a young lady who's name I didn't even know...I'd say she was considering ducking into the bathroom with me. (If you wonder if they're thinking about it, assume they are.) I've never been a manipulator and don't intend to become one, but maybe I should consider customizing some of these "techniques" to my own personality. After all, PUA (pickup artist) by Neil's definition can include one night stands, fuck-buddies, or a spouse...the "religion" behind it isn't necessarily focused on the end goal, just the process.

It may very well be a fun week in Vegas.

BD

#1 BassDude, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

What book am I thinking of? It was on an island where a rich guy hunted humans for sport. I thought that was "The Game??

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

I never believed such techniques were manipulative or exploitative in any way, and I self-taught and practiced getting to know someone techniques for quite a while. I wouldn't have had 100+ sexual partners if I hadn't! At the time I didn't ruminate over what I was doing, as every single woman responded to me in the way of her choosing.

With the fullness of time I now realise that every woman I have ever met in any relationship has commenced with a phase of obvious body language interest and pointed conversation. My now wife, where it took a while for things to become sexual, we had similar eye contact and body language hints as any short-term conquest of my past.

I suspect that any couple together today has initially gotten interested in each other in this way.

4. college_girl

college_girl New Member

To be honest, if some guy were trying that crap with me, I'd lose interest. I have no patience for "games". I'd rather be on the hunt than hunted.

5. Dreama

Gold Member

Babe, that's "The Most Dangeous Game", a short story by Richard Conell.

I'd actually like to read the book the Game, as I think it would be cool to see what the guy has to say. I think I could probably learn a thing or two. Lol

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

*Facepalm*

I'll have to get this book, it sounds interesting :D

7. rugbylad82

rugbylad82 New Member

Or you may have just made a young girl feel a bit uncomfortable, not saying you did just dont always trust that these things work in a completely positive way.

8. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Someone who's smiling at you and looking you in the eyes the whole time isn't uncomfortable. ;) She moved so she wouldn't be tempted.

BD

9. BassDude

BassDude New Member

And THAT'S the kind of ladies I most like. :brow I have to admit that I really don't have patience for games either....I'm just too open about it all. If I want to lay someone, I'll just tell them and let them decide, always been that way. I'd say the book is more about how to create attraction with a stranger...so is that manipulation or no? Hmmm...not sure. (There's also material on how to defuse boyfriends, how to utilize another guy as a "wing man", how to utilize a hot female friend as a "pivot", etc.). Regardless, it's a good read for me (if for no other reason) so that I can recognize it when other guys have "game on"...in fact, perhaps a good connection point for me and a lady is for me to describe the steps to her as they are being enacted on her? (Of course, that might put me in "friend" category rather than "lay" category.) I'm not even sure I actually *need* to read this book, I have no problem meeting women and I'm bold enough to say what I want in a quite creative way. I think intelligent women realize the value of straightforwardness, and I like intelligent women.

I do actually think that it would be very good for women to read this book so they understand when they are having "game" played on them, but maybe that's just me being a girlie man. :lol

BD

10. rugbylad82

rugbylad82 New Member

fair point, i wasnt having a go just saying without her giving a definate verbal reaction description to an independant person this trial isnt really fair, i mean it could be she was genuinely attracted to you at first THEN you creeped her out. The scientist in me is dreaming up a load of experiments to do involving this and ways to interprate results fairly. Maybe everyone should come up with a few while you are in vegas, you should do them and tell us the results, that could be cool.

11. college_girl

college_girl New Member

I prefer blunt. Say what you mean, mean what you say. There's no ambiguity that way and I get the point!

I'm more likely to blurt out "fuck me!" as opposed to sitting there twisting my hair and biting my lip hoping you can read my mind.

Manipulation may work for some men, in terms of landing some really dumb women. But I don't know how people who manipulate others can respect themselves.... maybe some people don't care about that.

12. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Ok, I have been told that I have been "gamed" by someone I care very much for. The person who told me this will not explain what it means. Do any of you care to tell me what the term means?

Thanks!

13. cbrmale

Gold Member

I've not read the game, so I don't know exactly what is being taught. My 'technique' was making eye contact and using body language to lead to conversations that I wouldn't have had if I hadn't been looking for a relationship in some form or another. My cues were observing eye contact and body language, and responses to the conversation that resulted.

The definition of a pickup artist in BassDudes post includes one-night-stands, fuck buddies and a spouse. And I admit that the first meeting with my wife was all about eye contact, body language and conversations. So the initial moves can lead anywhere, including life-long love with the most fantastic person in the world.

For shy or insecure men looking for love and a long-term relationship, reading and learning how to get things started would be fantastic.

14. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Bingo! Intelligent and self-cognizant women can't be manipulated by simple psychological "tricks", any more than intelligent and self-congnizant men can be. And who wants intelligent and self-congnizant women? Why, that would be the intelligent and self-cognizant men, I do believe. I think too many women believe that if they give sex, the man will "love" them. Wrong...it takes much more than being a good lay for a man to truly love a woman (and vice versa).

15. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Oh btw, college girl...I want to eat your panties off, fabric and all.

BD

16. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

17. T_Bone

T_Bone New Member

Sounds like something that I would like to read just for the hell of it. I might have to check it out.

18. BassDude

BassDude New Member

So, I was thinking about some of the "tricks" in this book, like issuing a "neg" (ie. playful put-down). I actually sometimes do that by default without even thinking about it. Rather than a "neg" though, I tend to think of it as just some playful jibbing. I never really realized it was a "neg", to use Mystery's jargon. I can turn some of this around...if someone delivers a playful jib at me, it does make me want to get their attention long enough to prove them wrong. Hmmm. So, I can see why this has that effect. So, maybe I should retract what I said above about an intelligent and self-cognizant person being able to be manipulated...I think that statement was probably inaccurate, anyone can be manipulated at least to some extent. I do think the more intelligent and self-cognizant they are, the sooner they'll realize it however.

And some of the book is really just common sense. Have confidence...well, duh. Be bold...you don't get what you don't ask for, right? Be fun...well, who wants to hang out with the boring person?

The concept of taking a "wing man" with you is interesting. One of the main purposes is for the wing man to de-fuse or distract the boyfriend while you're getting to know the girl. (Of course, you return the wing man favor.)

Another interesting thing was the idea of taking a nice-looking female "just friend" with you as what Mystery calls a "pivot". I'll have to read more on that before I fully understand the purpose.

I remember one Bluish lady on :sf who was a vehement hater of this book. In what I've read so far, I can't see where it's really all that offensive to women, to be honest. But maybe I just haven't read far enough yet, who knows. Women like getting laid just as much as men do. This book helps both sexes accomplish that, so what's the problem? :lol

BD

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Hmmmmm. I think I really need to rethink some things. Now I understand.

#19 FlirtyChick, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  20. college_girl

college_girl New Member

I'm flattered.:D