Who Pays For The Meal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Essene, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Essene

Gold Member

I say it depends on who asks first.

Situation:

Sally: Hey there's this new Thai place down town. I'm interested in going.

Me: Okay. We should check it out then.

Situation end: She pays.

2. CosmicEye

Gold Member

your a dick

3. 12barblues

Gold Member

i think you should say how you really feel......:lol

im half asleep and that response just cracked me up....

4. Splendid_Thoughts

Gold Member

Does it really matter who pays? Why, in this day and age, is it even a consideration?

The 'rules of ettiquette' suggest that the person who invited the other party to the mean is the one who pays but I personalyl think it is bullshit!

5. Essene

Gold Member

Well hello Mr. 1954. How are you? How's that 50's rock treating you? Did you vote for Eisenhower or Stevenson in the last election?

Because people still feel differently about it. You know, with gallantry and all.

6. mikeh

mikeh New Member

I'm old fashioned and think the man should pay. But once you're married it all goes out the window.

Having said that. If she asks you out for a meal then she's taking the piss if she then expects you to pay.

7. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I could imagine one partner never suggesting going out for a meal simply because they don't want to be the one to pay.

I guess it depends on individual financial status as well as how much a person wants the other one's company at dinner.

8. Essene

Gold Member

That'd be silly. I don't celebrate any holiday; but it's because I don't believe that any holiday should be celebrated (besides Christmas and Easter.. and maybe Palm Sunday).

That was rather irrelevant. I'm a wee bit pished.

I like paying for my gf's food. She has done it for me multiple times. I like watching her eat. I like that I provide the monetary requirement for her to gain sustenance (or just have a good meal). But it sure is spiffy when she offers to pay as well. When I didn't have a job and was a poor college student, she payed for my food, alcohol (clubbing), and even for my gas. I owe her a lot. Chances are, I owe her more than I can repay, so I pay for her to eat, or buy her clothes. She deserves it. She more than deserves it. But if she was some trifling lass who just wanted to be treated to a good meal at what she thinks is a 5-starresturante (Red Lobster), then I'd go the way of the Do-Do.

#8 Essene, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  9. backcheck64

Gold Member

I always went with who asked who out. If she asked me, she pays. If I did the asking, I paid. I payed for less than half my dates LOL. It was good being good looking LOL.

10. Kermit

Gold Member

Same here, before marriage the guy should always pay. If you're married, she pays cause ALL the money that comes in is hers anyways lol.

11. BigTitLover

Gold Member

If its dating, always little old fashioned and the first date is paid for in all by the guy.

After that, if she wants to pay I'm fine with it.

Dated a girl once that was a very competitive alpha type. Got pissed when I would open doors for her. I'm 1000% sure our last dinner was to even up the total of dinners each of us had paid for. LOL

If friends, who invites pays, but I never ever order anything that I can't pay for myself. Got burned once on that one. Was invited to dinner "no worries, we got ya covered". Didnt bring any cash with me, had to wait for another friend to come bail us out and I paid him back for my part. Never again.

At this point in my life I would soooooo be ok with being a "kept man". More than happy to stay home and watch the kids and the house.

#11 BigTitLover, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. xeniadraven

Gold Member

have to say i've always been old fashioned and appreciated gentlemanly behaviour. When my OH and I were dating i dont think i ever paid for a thing, i offered but he still paid regardless. i think sometimes women worry that if they let a guy pay for everything that they might "expect" something in return? maybe i'm wrong but i did have experience of this once or twice and it horrified me!

13. Trond

Gold Member

Here's at least part of the problem: just like some guys, women often think that they can have it all:eyes. The old-fashioned rules on gentlemanly behavior assumed that the guy was in charge, that he would be the 'breadwinner' and, frankly, that women were very precious but slightly helpless.

Nowadays, some women expect to make many, if not all the decisions in the family, which is fine in many cases. But they still expect the guy to hold the door, hold out her chair, pay for dinner etc etc. Girls, if you want to be a pampered little flower, then that's also fine, but then you have to act the part too.

14. xeniadraven

Gold Member

thats the funny thing, i do :)

i had the kids, gave up my career to stay at home and raise them, i look after the home and all those other fun things and hubby just does the money making. we're a rarity i think but it works.

if i dont have tea on the table when OH gets home he doesnt get cross, he might even help out! nothing is expected of me i just choose to do it.

i'm a cook in the kitchen, and a whore in the bedroom ;-)

15. MILF_Rider

MILF_Rider Member

Dude, you dwell on these little things to much. Consider the (for lack of more precise terminology) end point of being married, at that point it doesn't matter who pays because the money comes from the same pot either way. If you have a problem paying now or she has a problem with you not paying, maybe that tells you something. That something might be that she's not the one or for her you're not the one. Or that something might be that you're dwelling on it too much.

16. Trond

Gold Member

....um....wanna do some spouse swapping? :lol

17. CosmicEye

Gold Member

It sounds like shes just a friend. I would have atleast split the check to be courteous.

18. mikeh

mikeh New Member

[​IMG]

19. daletom

daletom New Member

If it's truly "just" a friendship (including neighbors, co-workers, members of the same softball team, etc) then each generally pays his share. There might be a little trading off, such as I pay the tip because you drove, you buy an appetizer to share after I buy the first round of drinks, etc.

For anything that's remotely like a male/female interpersonal relationship, it's a case of "Romey-owes for what Julie-ett." unless there was a specific agreement to "go Dutch".