Who is really open minded?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Elvis, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Elvis

Elvis Member

I've not been here long, but I've noticed that many posters
    who appear to be open minded are apparently narrow minded.

I'm not talking about the young and especially not virgins, just
    a few who talk the talk about walking the walk until it comes
    to giving advice to others.

Who thinks they're really broad minded and who dares admit to
    being narrow minded or even somewhere in between?

2. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Wel this seems like your happy self elvis.....

Im pretty much open minded to virtualy everything sexual...except for real pain, dont mind a mild form of pain though.
    And i think i give advice quite a bit , but not too all threads.

3. SexyScorp

Gold Member

That question is quite subjective isnt it

All states of mind are relative arent they?

My perception of open minded may not be anothers

To me open minded is about the ability to learn from others,
    admit your mistakes and allow free thought to flow in and out

Me...openminded.....i think so?

But others may not?

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Well being here for even less time than yourself elvis...i have learnt quite a bit more than i knew before i came here....

My mind was on sex is all....being slightly drunk all day, and inhabitions flew out the window :p

Im open minded enough for life things....i will openly admit i am not someone who see's myself as all knowing , and certainly wouldnt state that i am intelligent, i would leave that to others to judge or make assumptions.

In life ( my life ) i have come across many different things and had quite a varied life of up and downs ( check one of my posts where i put down some of the things i have been through ) im street wise enough, but just not high powered or presumptuos enough to say i am more intelligent than most others , unlike some here who love to clain hey are.

5. Elvis

Elvis Member

I also mentioned 'broad' minded which has a slightly
    different meaning.

6. Brad

Brad New Member

Open minded to me means having the ability to listen carefully and considerately.

The ability to digest what has been said without immediately jumping to pre-judgmental conclusions.

The ability to be truly open minded offers massive potential for learning generally.

That ability is one that I like to think I have.

But it is one that I personally want to develop further.

This excellent forum continues to help me develop that, thanks to all of your contributions.

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Well i still am a human being and still have emotions so no i am not broad minded ( as that entails not being able to ever be shocked by anything, basicaly meaning no emotions )

But i am open minded

Incapable of being shocked
    - unshockable

Inclined to respect views and beliefs that differ from your own
    "a judge who is broad-minded but even-handed"

Just foound out that it has 2 meanings....well im open minded enough to be able to see valid points of view and to try and see others points of view as well, but not when the poster makes posts just to rub people up the wrong way for a kick.

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

9. Brad

Brad New Member

Kronnie

Good comments from you.

To avoid any misunderstanding in my earlier post on the word “considerately”….

What I meant by the word consider (or any derivatives), is that in the context of being broad or open minded, one has to have the ability to consider all aspects of things said. Consider and question before jumping to conclusions that might have been previously set in stone.

When you said Kronnie:

It is as you said good manners regardless.

But it is a little more than that.

10. SexyScorp

Gold Member

How open minded, for example, would others be if i
    told them I had a very close bond with a 19 year old
    male...it is non sexual...but we are very supportive of
    each other...

we have a musical connection and a spiritual one...but
    how many would judge me, a woman in her 40s for being
    involved with such a young person...

i will tell you what type of person.....a very narrow minded
    one...

:)

11. Brad

Brad New Member

SexyScorp

Even if you told me the relationship was to become sexual, no way would I have bad thoughts about you for that.

I'd have no problem at all.

12. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Brad thankyou for the compliment, but sorry that i hadnt grasped exactly what you had meant ...i dont always fully understand all words and there exact meaning :)

Well i posted once before that when i was 17 i was with a 34 yr old female, that time in my life was amazing as she taught me a lot about myself and a lot about herself as well...it wasnt long after that , that i got into selling myself..

So scorp i would say if you both get on in some many ways , then that is realy wonderful, i hope you and he have many years ahead of this friendship..
    I can sure see the attraction of a younger male that has a greta and exceptional mind for his years...:)

13. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Thanks guys

Great thread btw Elvis....

How open minded would you consider yourself?

14. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

This is an interesting topic because everyone has opinions, and opinions can make a person seem closed minded.
    Where is the distinction between one simply having personal opinions and being closed minded? :eyes

I will offer that the term 'open minded' IS a relative term, and expecting everyone to be open minded to the same extent or about the same things is both unrealistic and takes away from the spice of life. Our experiences in life color us, so we aren't, and shouldn't all be just the same.

Good topic, Elvis! :tup

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I agree NaughtyKnickers, that the phrase 'open-minded' needs some qualification. Open-minded about what exactly? I consider myself open-minded about certain things and quite set my ways about others. For example, cheating. I've cheated in the past, and I've been cheated on (a lot) as well, and they were both very negative experiences. Therefore I believe that cheating ought not to be allowed in a committed relationship between two people, unless you have some kind of arrangement or understanding, but then I suppose it wouldn't really be cheating, would it? My ex used to cheat on me all the time and would then add insult to injury by attempting (sometimes most feebly) to lie about it and cover it up. That is unacceptable. If you're going to cheat at least have the decency tell the truth about it.

However, I am open-minded about the possibility of threesomes and polyamorous relationships. I've never had the opportunity to experience either but I'm certainly open to it.

It really depends.

16. Barbwire

Gold Member

Without getting into specifics here, I will say that sometimes I read things posted here and my mind slams shut with a BANG! Then I wait, read the replies, maybe do some research online, and sometimes the door slowly starts to open. Other times is stays shut. Once in a while, I slam the door shut, lock it, and hide in the corner, biting my nails and shivering all over.

17. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Well thats the beauty of things in ways if you can find someone that enjoys the things you do as much as each other and are both very willing to explore new avenues wit heach other , then that would be totaly unreal, out of this world, but not unrealistic either.

As we all know we have differing opions and we all view many things in diffrent ways .
    Then really what is correct and right for you isnt always how others will see it, although clicking fully with someone deeply is very possible, i know this is my opinion but its something i know can happen and has happened.

I like to be a god listener as brad pointed out, i also like to believe i am able to give a lot of pleasure in a relationship as well as wishing to recieve.

I like chatting cuddling kissing relaxing and doing things my future partner loves and enjoys also...im not ina relationship in my real life, but i have been before and like to try and grow with my partner, as wel as she growing with me...i love all things of beauty, i love any forms of sexual pleasure and am open minded enough to know with a partner i would explore all of her likes and sexualy all of her fantasys that she would enjoy exploring.
    i love food , reading, watching flms working out and learning from females , as i know there is so much i can learn from the opposite sex.

18. PappaBear

PappaBear New Member

I'm fairly open minded , but I will admitt that on certain topic I wont budge . That's just me being me >:]

19. cbrmale

Gold Member

Elvis,
    There are a few posters here who are narrow-minded on a lot of things, a lot of posters narrow minded on several things, and a few posters who are quite broad minded on most things. Of the latter, you and I are of similar ilk. To some extent, we have similar life experiences.

I rarely give advice other than to encourage comunication or consider options. The few times I have given advice I have thought long and hard as to whether I should or not. But I have a lot of experience, and sometimes I feel my advice or examples of what I have seen may be of assistance. There are some here who give advice straight-up, and this is just wrong!

The only things I will rule out is underage (16 in my country) and non-consensual. Everything else is of free choice by adults with adults, and we should accept that. Everything else (age differences, cheating and so on) is fair game as far as I am concerned, especially as I have done most of those things anyway! If someone is confused, then toss around some options for them to consider, but for heavens sake DON'T TELL THEM WHAT TO DO!

20. HardRocker

Gold Member

I have yet to meet a narrow-minded person who didn't believe they were open-minded... eg., my mother-in-law. She categorically refuses to believe that we and everything we can touch and see with our eyes is made of the dust expelled by stars. She thinks we are made of some magical stuff intrinsic to our little corner of the universe.
    Narrow mindedness is the fruit of ignorance... Ignorance meaning, ignoring the obvious truth in lieu of what makes them comfortable in their little world.