Who here likes to read?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Untamed, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Thought I would make a thread to see

What people are currently reading?

Favourite Author?

What genre..... Thriller/ Mystery/ Sci-fi/ Romance etc?

and any recommendations?

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

I love to read. I've decided to go back and read all of the Chuck P. Books (Author of Fight Club) he's AMAZING.

I also took up reading Steven King. Each movie I watch of his (I downloaded a folder of 80 or so) I'm going back and reading his book for the movie. :)

My favorite author by far is John Saul though. I have an advanced reader copy of "Night Shade" that is signed by him. ^_^

3. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

That's awesome Mitt! I have a few John Saul books hidden away that I have yet to read but never got around to!

I am currently reading James Patterson - Honeymoon (about a woman who kills her rich partners) I'm about 3 quarters of the way through am very interested to find out what happens.

My favourite author would have to be Virginia Andrews. Absolutely Loved the "Dollanganger" family saga and the "Casteel" family saga. Many more by the ghost writer also.

My favourite genre of reading material is Mystery/thriller/romance! that being said any great writer can keep me involved

I read James Pattersons - Womans Murder Club series (The first 4 books out of 8) and I recommend them. But I highly recommend "Flowers in the Attic", "Heaven" or "My Sweet Audrina" by Virginia Andrews

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

Flowers In The Attack is a great book.

Catch 22 is a good read as well, if you like romance, be sure to read The Notebook if you haven't already.

There is also a REALLY good murder/mystery/romance series that I absolutely love. It's by J.D. Robb and it's the "In Death" series. It's set is 2023 and just an amazing series. Naked in Death is the first in the series, there's dozens. I lost count. It's got cops and sex and just wonderful plot lines.

Check it out!

5. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Well that definitely sounds like my kind of series. I have a J.D Robb book hidden away as well lol .. It might just be a part of that series (Some people on another forum recommended John Saul, JD Robb and Laurel K Hamilton and I found a lot of them at a bargin sale hehe)

I'll also add Catch 22 and The Notebook to my "books to look out for" list :)

Thanks Mitt x

6. nyxx

nyxx New Member

men are from mars, women are from venus... yea thats right.

7. Trond

Gold Member

I read a lot of non-fiction, and not only due to my work as a biologist. I particularly like books on art and history. The biography on Julius Caesar by Philip Freeman was pretty good, although it is probably dry if you are not generally interested in ancient history.

Fiction: I little while back I read "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey. This is a very sexy fantasy novel which is the first part of a longer series. It's a bit complicated, with many names and fantasy cultures inspired by real history. I am pretty impatient when it comes to fiction, so the fact that I didn't give up on it along the way is pretty impressive in my view.

Graphic novels: I really liked "Blankets" which is a brilliant comic book-like autobiography by Craig Thompson. Also, the "Artesia" series by Mark Smylie is among the best (and sexiest) fantasy literature I have read, graphic novel or not. It starts off a bit weird, but I was completely hooked by the end of the first volume. The worst problem is that the publication schedule is very erratic, and I am not sure if the series will ever be finished :(

8. Kermit

Gold Member

Last book i read was Bruce Campbell's autobiography (if chins could kill) ever since they took me off ritalin after i tried to overdose on it, i do not have the patience for reading or the fact i could only grasp 20% of what i read.

9. igor

Gold Member

I like mystery / thrillers (I guess you'd call them): stuff by
    Robert Ludlum
    W.E.B. Griffin
    Tom Clancy
    James Patterson
    David Baldacci
    William Caunitz
    John Grisham
    John Sanford
    Lawrence Sanford
    Sidney Sheldon
    Micky Spillane

I also love to read about some WW2 stuff - especially codes & ciphers. Such as books by David Kahn.

#9 igor, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  10. cheeze

cheeze New Member

I do im reading the 33 strategies of war - Robert Greene

11. need4more

need4more New Member

Always like romances but like murder mysteries too. Lately, just been reading what I find free for my kindle. If you have the kindle app on your computer- I think it is free- you will find lots of free books in all of the categories.

12. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Nothing at the moment.

No real specific favorite to be honest, there's a lot of good ones I've read and could think of off the top.

I'm pretty read, and like a good few genres. I'll read romance novels if they aren't written for (pre)teen girls, CIA vs. KGB type spy thrillers, sci fi, horror, really I'll read damn near anything with a decent plot and writing. Not big on mysteries or stuff by Louis L'amour or the like though.

The Myth series by Robert Lynn Asprin. Full of puns and adventure and magic and such, it's a great (and long) series. Fell in love with it when I was 15 when I found a hard cover title Myth-Adventures that was a compendium of the first 3 books in the series. I read it 3 times in a row, it was that good.

13. Flame

Flame New Member

I love to read. I usually try and alternate between non fiction and fiction although I'll often have one of each on the go. I also like to alternate between reading something that will improve my mind and reading something just for the pure pleasure of it.

At the moment though, I have been reading a lot of erotica. I am writing an erotic novel, so I call it research!

14. coldplayer85

coldplayer85 Member

I like to read the forums of this site :-D

15. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

I like TRUE CRIME novels lately.My absolute favorite author though is Christopher Pike.
    The Blind Mirror,The Season of Passage,and Falling are really good.He is a bit like Steven King,with a dash of sci-fi and a little creepier.

16. Moon

Moon New Member

Another James Patterson fan here, I dip in to most genres although I'm not keen on romances. Saying that some all time favourites are

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen (wonderfully old fashioned and easy)

Wizards first rule - Terry Goodkind (moralistic, 2 dimensional but fun)

Pig Island - Mo Hayder (very dark, will mess with your mind)

Sometimes I like to go back to books of my youth, Anne of Green Gables & set, Neverending Story, Goodnight Mr Tom.

I love trying new authors, a fab one I just read - action adventure, was Cut and Run - Matt Hilton, I have a feeling Joe Hunter will feature heavily in my imagination.

Anything by Lee Child also feeds that imaginary process lol.

I'm about to embark on a study of all things 'new age', 'occult' even. So my list for the next however long will include Edgar Cayce and Brian Weiss amongst others. This is in an effort to understand a person very important to me and events that tie us both together. Although I'll probably end up more confused than ever :lol.

17. BlueLizard

BlueLizard New Member

Currently reading The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas.

Love police thrillers and government spy stuff. Books by Carl Hiaasan always get me laughing...

Don't read as much as I use to. Too busy trying to figure out new ways to get in Dreamers pants...

18. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Loved Anne of Green gables I still have a really old copy of it!

and the James Patterson book I'm on right now is yet another page turner!!

I'll keep an eye out for your recommendations.

#18 Untamed, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  19. Kermit

Gold Member

Did JP kill off Alex Cross?

20. Woody81

Woody81 Member

When I was younger Terry Brooks was my favorite author. No one specific as of lately though.

Biographies and history of art and music is mainly what I'll read.

But, here lately my daughter has me wrapped up in princess books that I read to her.