What's the worst job you've ever had?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

This is inspired/spun off the "what to you do for a living thread." It's kind of cool reading about the various jobs we :sf members do. What was the absolute worst job you've ever had?

I've had a lot of jobs in my time...some good, some bad. I've slung tacos at Taco Bell, slung spaghetti (worked as a waitress) at an Italian restaurant, slung coffee (worked as a barista) at a drive in coffee bar and many, many more. I paid my minimum wage dues long before I got my degree and started teaching and writing for a living.

However, the worst job I ever had was working as a telephone sales representative/telemarketer for a vitamin and herbal supplement company. That job sucked so much I would get psychosomatically ill just from the thought of having to go into work.

2. cook74

Gold Member

Unskilled labor on a building site during school holidays when I was young, and having to go into small tunnels to clean out sewage:eek:eek

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

During university holidays I once worked in a factory that made welded steel mesh. For nine-and-a-half hours a day we pulled a sheet of mesh out of the maching and lay it on the ground. And then we pulled the next sheet out and turned it over and lay it on top. And then the next sheet flat and so on until we had a stack and we could call a crane. Boring!

An alternative was to cut trench mesh with bolt cutters for nine and-a-half hours. Trench mesh (laid in foundations for brick walls) was very thick gauge; too thick to cut by machine, so it took muscle power to do it. Boring and painful!

4. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Selling popcorn and coke at a theatre
    when I was i High School.

Hiker

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

I used to prep dogs for grooming. I would brush them, bathe them, clean their teeth, and blow dry them. That wasn't so bad. The bad part was I had to express their anal glands before any of that could happen. Blech!

6. cook74

Gold Member

OOOHHHH...:eek

7. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

Not a terrible job but one not well fit for me,.. When I was a teenager I worked as a waitress in a steakhouse, .. after being raised in fairly sheltered, vegetarian home, I didn't know the difference from one chunk of meat to the next.
    The learning curve was pretty embarrassing. :eek: :lol

8. sbdude

sbdude New Member

I mowed grass in florida, not a bad job but hot as hell!

9. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

Working on shrimp/scallop boats.

10. Jayce

Gold Member

The worst job I've ever had is the job I have now. I work part time at a printing industry. Part time there means I work 8 hours every other sat/sun. Besides that, I sign up for hours during the week. So I'll work 730-1130 during the week and go to class from 1230-530, then work on my designated weekend.

It's really a pretty shitty job. It's a dirty place with paper dust floating everywhere, which for somebody like me who has insane allergies, it's just wonderful. The management is idiotic, completely idiotic. I know I'm 21 years old and I don't have the answers to much of anything, but the management completely floors me every time with the ridiculous decisions they make.

But that's okay, I'm done in April. That's when I graduate. If things REALLY go my way, I'll be done in January when I go out on internship. :)

Oh, and just to add some fuel to the fire, this is my off weekend, yet I worked a 12 hour shift yesterday and probably am going to work a 12 hour shift today. Shoot me. :)

11. pan_pan

pan_pan New Member

being a trash boy at a movie theater

12. Dreama

Gold Member

I've not had too many jobs. I only had one high school job, and that was not bad. Now, the job I have as a college student is a great one, and I really like it. So, I'm sure in my time as a person, I'll get my share of shitty jobs, but right now, I cannot say that I have ever not liked my jobs. I can say that I wouldn't fancy being in the food industry, but it could get much worse I suppose.

13. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Wait I forgot.
    I also chopped cotton in Cali. one summer when I was a teen.

14. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Shoveling cow manure out of our barn when I was a kid. I think I got $1 per load, which was probably a ton or more. Yuck!

Then I was a light bulb changer for a janitorial service for awhile. For two hours every night I'd wander through all the offices of a several-story high bank building, switching on every light to make sure it worked. If not, I'd have to change it. Better than shoveling cow manure, but pretty boring.

15. keyboardsrcool

keyboardsrcool New Member

babysitting a girl that was deaf. She was cute, but sometimes it was frustrating asking her questions or telling her if she is doin something bad

16. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

I did the telemarketer bit for a while, didn't mind the work but the bosses treated you like crap. Only boss I ever knocked on his ass. :mad

17. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Cleaning out metal shavings in a machine shop....barrow after barrow....all day:mad

But that wasnt my shortest one...got a job welding up exhaust extractors on a production line once...:eyes
    Started at 8.00am and at 10.00am I went out for my first break and never went back:lol

18. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Working in a vegiterian food factory......ill never even attempt to eat that type of food after seeing what happens to it when its being made ................

cement mixers and shovels, wellie bots and if its droped and trodden on, dont worry scop it up and shovel it back in......if you ever feel something slightly crunchy in your food " dont worry its just dirt from the floors in the factories"

19. Thorn

Gold Member

It wasn't a job per-se, but it was when I was a Machinist Mate in the U.S. Navy. Every six months or so we would have to go down in the ships bilges and clean out the oil, greese, and crap. Sailors would piss in them and who knows what else. Sometimes we would wade in knee deep dirty oil.

20. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

Been there done that. Used the T shirt to clean the paint brushes!