What's the big deal with Polygamy?...

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Emt, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emt

Emt New Member

It's all over the news, this "Jeffs" guy was caught. He was on the FBI's list as being a Polygamist and finally he's behind bars...well I'll tell ya, I'm going to sleep a lot better knowing that!!:eyes

Who cares if the guy has 4 wives and marries others to do the same. I'm sure some people will have religous/moral reserves (which is NOT a governmental issue!!) about it, but as far as harming others and bringing about the downfall of society, I just don't see it...what's the big deal?

Thanks!

-Emt

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Not sure if I buy into the "horror" of someone being a Polygamist - but His activity with arranging marriages among old farts and teenagers tends to sicken my stomach. There are two counts (so far) of rape against him, as well. These teenagers were forced to 'marry' and ultimately engage in sex with their 'husbands', because they are part (through parental coersion) of the religious sect that says it is appropriate to do so. These two teenagers are just a tip of the iceburg, as many succumb to their assigned lifestyle, and never tell authorities what's going on.

3. Emt

Emt New Member

Oh it's undoubtably a sick, sick thing what happened to those younger women. What I have a problem with is that they are using the label of "polygamist" to insinuate that ALL poligamy is criminal and a horrible thing because of what this turd did. Poligamy is something tons of people practice!...they just don't try to get married more than once at a time.

-Emt

4. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

I don't know. I guess if they (the government) can tell me that I cannot legally marry someone of the same sex, then they can tell me that I cannot legally marry more than one of the opposite sex at the same time.

And loving more than one at one time is being polyamorous, not a polygamist, yes?

5. Emt

Emt New Member

Well technically, you might be right, but this is how I use logic to form my opinion...

A "monogamist" relationship is usually consider to happen when the couple isn't seeing anyone else. Marriage isn't part of the medical/health equation. Just making sure that your parts are only being shared with ONE other person is enough to make it monogamistic.

So that's why I consider a "poly-gamist" or "more than one"-relationship.

-Emt

6. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

And my distaste for the word "polygamist" is probably due to the negative connotations and the fact that it's not legal. Shrugs. Polyamorist sounds so pretty, wrapped in a tiny bow. LOL. At any rate, I agree with your question/opinion.

7. Emt

Emt New Member

well anything with "amor" in it sounds romantic....;)

-Emt

8. igor

Gold Member

Tons of people practice? I don't think so. Polygamy is when one is married to more than one spouse at a time.

If you guys are talking about the guy I am thinking of - he supposedly had between 40 and 70 wives and fathered over 60 children. NOW THAT IS SICK!

9. Emt

Emt New Member

Marriage or no marriage, that's besides the point. Traditionally, criminals are people who harm others thereby breaking the law. I just don't see how having more than one girlfriend or wife is harming anyone?

Yes, what this particular scum bag did was wrong and he should probably hang by his testicles with an IV Drip to keep him alive for all of eternity.

But polygamy is a RELIGIOUS/MORAL issue, NOT anything to do with the GOVERNMENT!!...

Oh, and if you don't think polygamy is popular (however it's typically more than one lover, not wife/husband), you should come to my office and learn...;)

-Emt

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I don't even want to think about having to deal with more than one woman in my life. Hell sometimes I don't even want that many. Being an Automotive Monk is awsome.

11. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

It's true - many people have 'poly-relationships' and that is fine legally. And like I said - I don't ascribe to the thought that a polygamist is a national threat. Ten Most Wanted List? Nope - i don't see it. . . for polygamy.

But religiously forcing young girls to screw old men and serve them - and have their babies. That just disgusts me.

So, I'm glad they diligently searched for him, found him, and have him incarcerated now. He's an asshole, with a capital ASS!

12. Emt

Emt New Member

His ASS will probably be put to good use sometime soon and he will know what it feels like to have to do something you really don't want to do...

I saw a movie preview that described it beautifully..."Now I ain't gonna lie to ya, this next part's gonna feel like someone's trying to park a Greyhound Bus up your ass!";)

-Emt

13. Motley Fan

Motley Fan New Member

possible future for polygamy

I'm not going to rehash everything already stated except to add that polygamy is against the law - I think someone alluded to that above.

But one thing to watch if you are interested in the subject is the debate of same-sex unions (regardless as to whether it is called marriage or civil-union). At least some form of this is going to be recognized in the future in the United States. Once this happens, there really is no logical reason why polygamy could not be legalized. Probably the most effective argument for it will be religious freedom. And because our constitution does not allow for sex discrimination, it won't just allow for polygamy with one man and multiple women. Think of the bi-sexual possibilities. One man with two wives, but the wives are also married to each other....

It will be fascinating to watch. As a former domestic relations attorney, observing how the law has to change to keep up with the times will be fascinating as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.