What's Good to Eat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by redfish961, Nov 14, 2012.

1. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

I know everything is roosters and kitties, but with Thanksgiving headed our way, I thought food would be an appropriate topic.

With an international crowd here, it could get interesting.

What do you like to eat/cook?

If you know a good recipe of something you love to eat, throw it out here.

I'll start off with a good Texas staple: Beef Barbecue

Take an untrimmed beef brisket (10-12 lbs preferably), place in a disposable pan fat side down, and liberally apply the following as a rub:

Powdered onion, Minced onion, Powdered Garlic, Minced Garlic, Ground black pepper, and Kosher salt.

Manipulate the rub into the meat with your fingers, not hands.

Turn over and repeat.

Place on an indirect smoker on foil, fat side up, and smoke for 8-12 hours between 200 and 250 degrees, shooting for 225 degrees.

The longer you smoke it, the more "bark" you will have which is basically an outer crust.

Take off the pit and slice across the grain of the meat (critical).

Serve with barbeue sauce, if desired and potato salad and pinto beans make a good sides. Accompany with sliced pickles and onions and you have "Texas Style Barbecue" that will serve at least 30-40 people.

If you want a 4-6 hour smoking time, get a 8-10 lb trimmed beef brisket and do the same. Cooking time is critical here as a trimmed brisket has no fat to keep the meat moist.

If you've never had it, makes for a great party food that is low maintenance and serves a bunch of folks.

Who's up next?

2. mrcock

Gold Member

smoked meat is tasty, but I guess I wouldn't be cooking like that, as your food would contain benzopyrene in it. I'd just fry it instead

I like to eat separately, so I have no recipes

3. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Not familiar with the term "eat separately"...does that mean like at a restaraunt?

4. mrcock

Gold Member

I just mean if I want meat I'll eat meat. then I'll eat fruits, vegetables. or nuts, seeds. or chocolate. or drink milk. I am used to this

5. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

My brother eats exactly like this.

Even if there is a main course with sides, he picks one thing or the other and that's all he eats.

To each his own and each individual knows what they like.

What kind of meat do you prefer? I like to cook and am pretty decent at it.

At football games (American), I usually cook about 225 lbs of meat at each home game.

6. mrcock

Gold Member

fried pig. but perhaps I'd be eating less of it or don't eat at all cause of the high level of fat

pig meat is 30% fat

:lol

7. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Just to be clear, do you mind seasonings or batters with your meat? If so, I have suggestions if you'd like to hear them.

If you like your meat simply fried with nothing else, then just fry it, lol.

Can't believe I'm talking about MrCock's meat, lol

8. mrcock

Gold Member

I eat something that benefits you, not something tastes amazing. so people who run for the taste as primary in food are a taste fanatics to me

I'd just fry it, yea

9. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Alright then.

Count me in as a fanatic.

To be truthful, not sure how frying is better for you than other methods available.

Seafood done "ceviche" style is about as natural as it gets wth literally no additives necessary. Ever tried it?

10. mrcock

Gold Member

I like the taste of a fried meat. I just gotta tell you, that eating anything smoked is the same as smoking tobacco

11. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

No problem, I smoke socially, so no additional harm for me.

If you like seafood, have you ever tried ceviche?...it's not smoked but marinated in lime/lemon with no cooking and nothing but additional ingredients that come out of the garden.

Easy to make, tastes great, and pure Mother Nature.

It's as natural as eating pussy.

12. mrcock

Gold Member

never tried it

from all the natural food available I don't like just eggs

13. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Here you go:

You can use any kind of fresh wild caught seafood, never frozen or farm raised (farm raised loses the natural salinity).

I prefer shrimp, lobster, crab, or fish ,but squid and octopus can be used with additional time.

I'll use shrimp as an example.

Take your shrimp, peel, and rinse.

Put in a non metallic bowl (the acids in the citrus will react with metal and add a metallic twinge to it).

Add freshly diced onion, garlic, tomato, pepper (any variety works, just depends on how much heat you like), cilantro if available. Salt lightly if you'd like to but usually not necessary.

Take limes and lemons and split in half. Remove the seeds and squeeze the juice until it fills up to a quarter of the way of your ingredients maximimum. The juices from the fresh vegetables will add to the liquid.

Place in the refrigerator and toss every 45 minutes or so.

The seafood will start to turn pink as you toss it.

Repeat for 4-5 hours and it should be ready to eat...the acids in the citrus literally "cook" the seafood and it makes for an excellent lunch.

You can do straight seafood with nothing but limes if you'd like and it will still taste good, but just won't have as much flavoring.

Fish takes a little less time, squid and octopus takes longer. Oysters and clams can be used, as well with less time.

For a single meal that is filling use 1lb of shrimp/seafood, 1 medium tomato, 1 pepper, 1/2 an onion, a few strands of cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic, and 5-7 limes or lemons or a mixture of both. If only one is wanted, I suggest using limes.

Eat by itself, or with chips or crackers. excellent, easy to prepare meal that gives nothing but what Mother Nature offers.

Refrigerate any leftovers and it will keep for a couple of days.

14. sandwich

Gold Member

Hi. So when you are cooking at football games are you tailgating? I was just wondering because I cook for football parties, but they are at my place or a friend's.

So what is a brisket? I have wondered but have yet to Google it. Do you ever make it without a smoker?

I make barbecued beef but in a crock pot, and I use chuck eye. My cooking talents are more along the lines of baked goods. I make my own pie crust and cakes from scratch and tarts and all sorts of other things. Bread making has gotten me to the point that I really don't like packaged bread, so if I haven't made bread lately, the last thing I would eat is a sandwich.

You and my bf would have lots to talk about...he cooks better than me and knows way more about food prep (I am the better baker). My favorite food types are meat, fresh veggies, fresh fruit and anything frozen that you can eat out of a bowl or on a stick (especially popsicles).

15. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Yes, it's at tailgates for college games. We usually have a thousand or better in our area and cook a variety of things including, pork, beef, sausage links, chicken, etc.

Brisket is a cut of beef that is predominantly sold in Texas...never really saw it anywhere other than the southwest U.S...Brisket is a cut that is in between the breast and the ribs...usually tough, but if smoked or slow cooked is melt in the mouth tender. You don't have to smoke it, but it turns out better than oven cooking. Crock pots will work if you can find a small enough brisket or have a very large crock pot.

As far as baking is concerned, I could use a lot of help. Two things I have trouble with are baking and gravies. Seems simple to most, but I fail a lot more than I win.

When it comes to cooking meat, especially seafood, I do pretty good. I will say my girlfriend is awesome (Louisiana Cajun) and I do good to keep up with her, though both our baking skills are not worthy.

I'm not big on sweets, but I would love to learn how to do homemade biscuits, breads, etc. We actually have about 45 banana plants with probably 500 bananas on them as we speak. Hopefully the weather will hold and they will ripen. We've harvested about 30 so far, but need another month of non-freezing weather to get the rest.

Do you have a good banana bread recipe? If so, please share and remember, we are the suck when it comes to baking, so try to make it easy.

If you want, I'll PM you a link to my tailgate page and you'll get a good idea with pics of what we do.

16. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I look forward to one thing more than turkey and stuffing for thanksgiving...and that is homemade pumpkin pie topped with Cool Whip. I love pumpkin pie sooo much that I get an entire pie made just for me which is lucky if it gets to exist for more than 48 hours after its out of the oven.

17. sandwich

Gold Member

I actually never "met" a banana bread recipe that I thought was outstanding, but I do have one I haven't tried that might be....give me a few days to dig it up. For Thanksgiving and/or Christmas I make cranberry orange nut bread.

Sweet-wise I prefer popsicles to my own baking, so when I do pies and such they are usually for a party or other event.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your tailgate setup. That is a lot of people to cook for! I love college football...there's nothing like it in the whole world.

18. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

Whether it's banana bread or whatever, if things go right I will have a BUNCH of them all at the same time, so I have to do something with them...I trust tried and true recipes more than google fodder.

I will pm you my page and you'll probably be surprised at who it is, lol. There are plenty of pics of the crowd and some food. We are all naked! Just kidding, lol.

When you speak of popsicles, are we talking the frozen type or the lamb type?

19. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

I sent you a pm with a couple of links with photos.

I hope to talk with you guys about cooking different things and hope you enjoy the pages!

Don't be shy about "friending" me on the page.

#19 redfish961, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  20. redfish961

redfish961 New Member

I'm with you...my 2 sweetness weaknesses are pumpkin and pecan pie.

While I probably eat sweets 5 times a year (yeah, I'm more a lot more pickle than I am candy), I've been known to eat an entire pumpkin or pecan pie in one sitting.

Hard to resist.