What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

A couple of weeks ago, I saw something that has haunted me ever since. I was with my friend and she stopped at a store to get some stuff. I decided to wait in the car for her. I noticed a pitbull with it's ears all cut off and a spike collar parked next to me ( I was on the passenger's side) After watching the dog for several more minutes, I noticed it had scars all over it's face, neck and chest, a sure sign it had been fought.

I decided to get the plate number off the car and report the guy but, every time I looked around, there were people coming to the parking lot and I was afraid of the dog's owner seeing me and causing trouble. Finally, my friend came out and I pointed to the dog and told her what was going on.

She said, "Well maybe I can run the asshole over." I looked in the mirror and saw a muscular rough looking man walking towards us. As my friend pulled out, he got really dramatic and screamed as if my friend was going to hit him although she was no where near him.

He then went to his car and started screaming at the dog to get in the back seat, all the while looking directly at me and snarling. I was too paranoid to write down his plate number and my friend sped away too fast for me to do it anyways.

I have felt horrible ever since that I wasn't able to do something for that poor dog.

Today, a friend emailed me a picture of a horse she just bought and asked if I wanted to buy him. He looked like a decent horse and the price was very cheap but he was also 17 years old. Now, if he was well taken care for most of his life he would probably have another 5 years of riding left and then he'd have to be retired.

I ride pretty hard and the 5 years might be a stretch and chances are the horse isn't going to do what I want it to do at all. I'd have to try to find it another home after I bought it because keeping a horse I can't use is out of the question. They are just too expensive to care for to have sitting around as pets. The trouble is, the market is very poor, especially with winter looming, so, finding the horse a home might be next to impossible.

She told me if I didn't want the horse she'd be taking it to the auction on Friday night where it most certainly would be put in the "kill pen", where they put all of the old and infirm horses for the meat buyers to bid on. She said she only bought the horse because it was part of a deal on another horse that she really wanted.

So now, here I sit again, with the ability to save an animal from suffering but too afraid to take a chance. I feel all torn up about it, but would feel worse if I got the horse and it ended up costing me a fortune in the long run.

I need some advice, here. What would you do?

#1 Barbwire, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. heelfetish

Gold Member

Honestly CL, the fact that you are troubled by these events is enough for me. We can't always play the hero, real life isn't like the movies. I'm sure you would like to save this horse, but it's not like you're made of money. I can guarantee you that there are many more in the same situation. You simply can't save them all.

As for the dog, it's a real shame too. Again, we can't always be the hero, you have to take your own safety into account.

While it's hard not to feel bad about these things, you really have to move on. Things like that happen all the time, one could dedicate their whole life to trying to make a difference. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love that you care, but you can't beat yourself up over things you can't control.

3. Mittimer

Gold Member

CL, next time call the police right away, don't hesitate. The regular cops come out for animal abuse as well, even suspected. I worked at Petsmart for 2 years and called MANY times because some idiot left their dog in the car while they decided to come shopping for pet clothes or food or just to chit chat with workers.

In 95 degree weather, that's deadly.

Like Heels above, You can't always play hero, you've got to know when to walk away.
    It's not your responsibility to save the life of this horse and you shouldn't let your friend guilt trip you into buying it from her and putting you in a worse off situation.

Trust me, you become the crazy animal lady when you try to save them all. (coming from someone who's been FULLY cut off from *saving* any more animals. 8 cats, 6 mice, Jumbo Leopard Gecko)

4. igor

Gold Member

Like Heely said, you can't save them all. But I know how you feel. I have to skip over the pages in the newspaper that have the pets up for adoption (with pics) because I'd like to bring them all home.

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

It wouldn't be so bad but, I just looked up the horse's bloodlines and he's closely related to a horse I already have. I also got sent another picture of the horse and he looks very much like my other horse with the same fire in his eye and Baroque features.

On the other hand, I just did the math and just for a year's supply of hay, nevermind grain, farrier and vet...it will cost $675.

On the other hand, I told my husband about the horse and he didn't say no, so obviously he feels we can afford it....

This sucks, MAJORLY!

6. CalamityJane

CalamityJane New Member

This a horrible decision to have to make. I'm mad about horses too CL (currently without one) and if I were in the same country as you I'd take him in a heartbeat. I realise this doesn't help you much though - Why did he come as part of the deal with the other horse? Had they been companions for a long time? If that's the case your friend may be better keeping him as the other might freak out without it's buddy.

Or, would it be an option for you to take him for now, keep him over the winter and then maybe sell on in the summer? If you can sweet talk your hubby into it!

Wish I could be more help, I would be agonising over this just as much as you are *hugs*

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

At last, someone that understands what it feels like to be horsecrazy! High five to ya, sista!

My friend got the horse from a family that had 4 Paso Finos. All the horses were well cared for and ridden on a regular basis for years until the family lost interest and decided to sell them. The first two horses were young and sold quickly, but the last two, the gelding I'm talking about and a mare, did not sell due to their prices being too high for older animals.

After two years of letting the horses sit in the pasture without being ridden, they finally dropped the price to the point that my friend wanted to buy the mare. The owners would only sell them as a package because they didn't want to keep one horse all by itself and cause him stress.

What makes this gelding so special is, one, he's a Paso Fino and two, he's 15.2 hands which is GIANT for the breed. It took me years to find my 14.3 hand Paso, and I've been looking for a larger one ever since as a back up steed and for my husband to ride.

Last year I bought a 14 hand, stocky Paso that my hubby rides. He's been a good boy but he's really too small to carry around 200 lbs of rider and tack. I ride him once in a while to keep him fit and I feel too big on him as well.

So, this gelding is the right breed and size, it's the age that makes me worried. I suppose I could buy him and try to resell him if he can't handle the work but, I'd hate to do that to him.

8. igor

Gold Member

After thinking about it, CL, unless the horse was free, I'd pass on it and wait for a younger one that you know you'd keep a while.

9. Barbwire

Gold Member

Just because that's my excuse for turning you down every time you hit on me, it doesn't mean I have the same policy on horses.

:rofl

10. igor

Gold Member

I know you have a soft heart re: horses and I don't blame you. I am the same way about dogs. I guess it's easy for an outsider to look at what may be the more practical side of this decision where you have a different slant on it (and I'm not saying you aren't practical too). And I will keep hitting on you BTW:lol

11. Northside

Gold Member

It's tough to see a helpless animal suffer. That dog can't be saved. If he's been trained to fight he's no good for anything else. In my world we NEVER call the cops. Everybody I know that did had more trouble from them, than the original situation caused. Are you ready to go to court and testify against unsavory characters, and being called a liar by lawyers and worse. Innocent or guilty you've just made enemy. If The local animal authorities get the dog they'd euthanize it because it's a fighting pit bull. You can't help that dog. What you did scared the shit out of the guy and he will have to behave as if the cops are watching him. I think that's the best you could do.

That horse is a hard one. You know you might get attached to him, especially knowing you probably saved his life. Are five years worth it? It's not so much the return on your investment. It'll hurt when he has to go. It could be five fun years too. You just can't save everything.

Good luck with your decision, my heart goes out to you.

12. Lucky

Lucky New Member

CL, I share your feelings. I too hate any animal abuse though I have no issues with selling them for market for meat, that is a cycle that has to exist to feed the world and pets etc. But on the horse, and maybe I missed this but could it be studded out to pay for the cost of feeding him. I know how much it costs, and they are forever getting sick or other issues? And shots.

As far as the dog, I hate that as well, the fact the guy came at you threatening gave you full rights to call the police. I find that what comes around goes around with those jerks though.

13. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks for all of your input, guys, but I've made my decision. I talked it over with my husband and he said we really couldn't afford to have 3 horses right now. If I got this gelding then I'd have to part with one of my other horses and neither my husband nor I want to do that. They are really good boys and we just adore them.

I called my friend and told her that I wouldn't be able to buy "Silver" and she understood. As it turns out, she won't be bringing him to auction unless she can't sell him before the snow flies. She has a few other people interested in him and hopefully he will go to a good home.

Now, all I have to do is fight the urge to call her back and tell her to call me if she does plan to bring him to auction so I can get him before it's too late.