What type of traveler are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MariaMaria, May 21, 2017.

1. cook74

Gold Member

When I was younger we always had a full first aid kit for any eventualities.

But you can not predict what anti venom you might need... When my dad worked at Taronga Zoo (Reptile section) they had some anti venom on site but he was bitten twice in 20 years by snakes they had no anti venom for (so not Aussie snakes), he was a tough bastard in his younger days though... He would taunt a small croc in an enclosure with a carp so it would lunge at his camera for an action shot or wrap his hands in material and entice a snake to strike as he held out his camera (he even taught me to do that with venomous spiders when I was 12 so I could enter a photo comp, Haha, great parenting...)

Every time I go out these days for a hike ( and that is rare, once this year...) I just take simple anti bacterial cream, bug spray or anti bug wipes, and some bandages.

sensless and MariaMaria like this.
  2. Tiger22

Gold Member

I am a pilot and travel all the time... I love it! I travel light and fast, no excissive luggage. I appreciate both bare bones and extravagant accomodations, just depends on the location and my mood.

I am also a huge outdoors guy and love to backpack. My happy place is a single track trail deep in the woods, everything I need on my back, soaking in nature.

sensless likes this.
  3. doovalacky

Gold Member

I haven’t made it to that area yet I haven’t had the 10-12 weeks spare to do it properly driving the whole way. What I know of that area though it has shorter hikes among gorges on 4wd tracks and a lot of the access is done by helicopter or boat. As far as the wildlife it’s a bit of a beat up not every thing is trying to kill you I’ve been camping my whole life and maybe seen half a dozen snakes in all that time and a few crocs... ok more then a few in North Queensland:D testing the depth of the creeks to drive across up there can be pretty scary at times. I just take a basic first aid kit and when you think you have enough water take some more. If heading by yourself or a group into these areas you will need a satellite phone we take one and never had to use it (touch wood).
    Other areas I would recommend would be Tasmania or the alpine area spectacular views at both areas.https://www.outdooraustralia.com/articles/top-10-australian-multi-day-walks-04870

MariaMaria, sensless and cook74 like this.
  4. Kurio

Gold Member

I don’t really travel that much other than for work and these days it’s mostly confined to a fairly small area. I normally drive for work related things but I don’t get much chance to stop and explore. Work tends to get in the way of that so it’s purely a necessity sort of thing.

I’m not very well travelled at all really. Other than an occasional weekend I haven’t had a holiday or vacation away from home since childhood. I guess like with most aspects of my life I keep myself out of the way of people. Probably for the best.

MariaMaria and sensless like this.
  5. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I keep away from people, too. Traveling doesn't mean mingling. In my opinion, the best places are the empty ones. No people, no houses.

Tiger22 likes this.
  6. Kurio

Gold Member

I tend to keep away from people for their benefit as much as anything and dwell in dark places both literally and figuratively. Going out into the world tends to find me injuring myself in new and creative ways and with work commitments travel hasn’t really been all that possible anyway.

7. Tiger22

Gold Member

I prefer both solitude and communing with local people when I travel. I need both for my mental well being.

My fav travel excursion of all time was a mountain bike trek across northern Spain all planned around red wine. I biked near Haro and was never 10 feet away from a vineyard... lots of dirt roads. It was all planned by a travel company and I stayed in amazing scenic hotel along the way. I can remember the views, the bodega (winery) owners, the taste of the wine like it was yesterday.

On that trip I had both solitude (biking in vineyards) and communing with locals. Perfect!

MariaMaria likes this.
  8. MariaMaria

Gold Member

That sounds awesome, and Spaniards are so friendly!

Tiger22 likes this.
  9. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I'm on the road right now, hiking in Crete.
    kriti.jpg

10. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Wow, it looks beautiful! Enjoy!

HazHardHat and sensless like this.
  11. Hornychick

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I love getting out and seeing new places. My parents would tell me on Fridays okay get some sleep we're going for a drive tomorrow. And we would end up in different states. We never spent the night would get up early and just drive we didn't make it back home til late but it was fun. We even visited 2 different states in the same day one time. My dad was very good at road maps lol. We lucked out back then being at the area we lived.

I still love getting out and seeing new places. Maybe it's from being younger but I feel the need to just go for drive on the weekends. And see where we end up it's fun.

Tiger22, sensless, MariaMaria and 2 others like this.
  12. HazHardHat

Gold Member

That's pretty awesome, sounds like you had some kick ass parents. Pretty cool you still go out for random drives just for the adventure!

sensless, Hornychick and MariaMaria like this.
  13. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Your childhood experience sounds awesome! It brings back memories of waking up really early in the morning when we had to travel, and it felt like such a cool thing to be up when it was still dark. That combined with the prospect of a trip, etc made the experience so much fun!

14. DayPlay3

Gold Member

TIME traveler

MariaMaria and longdong03 like this.
  15. longdong03

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Best answer

DayPlay3 likes this.
  16. MariaMaria

Gold Member

From the past or from the future?

longdong03 likes this.
  17. longdong03

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    id say both... be might even travel through universe with the multi-verse theory

MariaMaria likes this.
  18. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Oh, for sure he comes from at least another planet! :D

DayPlay3 likes this.
  19. longdong03

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    call him the doctor

DayPlay3 and MariaMaria like this.