What type of traveler are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MariaMaria, May 21, 2017.

1. Juniper

Gold Member

I like to spend a day or two in my destination and then head out to the country. I like to explore...a day here, a day there...it's fun.

sensless, Candela and MariaMaria like this.
  2. TheCaramelLady

Gold Member

Not a traveler.......

Candela likes this.
  3. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Really? Not even for a weekend? I assume it's by choice.

TheCaramelLady likes this.
  4. TheCaramelLady

Gold Member

Not even for a weekend. I work during the week, most of my weekends are spent doing chores and errands I cannot do during the week and I need to be careful with my budget.

sensless and MariaMaria like this.
  5. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I've enjoyed a nice hotels in large cities as much a bivy camping at 11k ft., live from a single back pack for a week.

For me it is not about were I sleep when I travel or even what I see, it's about meeting the people.

I can't stand touristy places, I want to eat the local food and meet the real people when I travel.

MariaMaria and sensless like this.
  6. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

We have a beach house in St teresa beach and Manitoba Key in florida we lease. Both are off the beaten path areas of florida were there are very few people. Then a mountain chalet in Gatlinburg. With my business I'm lucky to get to go to those. I love the peaceful serenity. What I want to d o is a total coastal tour across the USA and out west. Taking about a year off doing so. This is my bucket list. I've been to most all the state's, just never spent the time, was there on business. Same goes for my out of country travel, totally for business or my job.

MariaMaria likes this.
  7. backcheck64

Gold Member

We travel every chance we get. We've been coast to coast, skied all across the country and parts of Canada. Cycled the beaches of Victoria Island to Cocoa beach and the mountains in Steamboat CO. When it comes to sleeping though, give my a luxury condo. In most cases we drive because we take bikes, kayaks, my camera bag weighs 41lbs alone, plus I love driving and really love our Murano..... and hate the TSA. We go for usually a week at a time, twice to three times a year, but on a couple of occasions we've gone for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. We go with a general idea of what we want to see and/or do but that's just a guideline till we get there. Now that we're empty nesters, we're looking forward to doing what we want, when we want. No school or sports scheduling we have to accommodate. We love to cycle, like all day, 30 to 50+ miles a day, but the kids weren't into that so much. That and the kids will tire out and want to go back to the condo or hotel, we dropped them at the hotel in NYC and went back out till 2am. While not a vacation, two weekends ago we went down to Ha Ha Tonka and hiked 11.2 miles. That's our idea of relaxing.

8. backcheck64

Gold Member

You might try a little traveling, even a couple of hours from home. It's healthy to get away.

9. cook74

Gold Member

Well, @MariaMaria I really think you should travel to Australia, great country, landscapes, flora, fauna, that type of stuff and there is a great place to stay just North of Sydney. ;)

10. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Australia is definitely on my list, specially since I now know sexy chefs are part of the fauna :D

cook74 likes this.
  11. cook74

Gold Member

3 Bedroom, 2 storey townhouse with a nice backyard and a small front yard next to the garage, you might get used to it...

I might take some time off and we could travel (the first week we will only make love down stairs, inside and outside but in the second week we can travel North to the second storey, for this adventure we will have to stay indoors...:p)

But really, beautiful country that is well worth visiting.

12. Soren87

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I'm the kind of traveller that makes his own schedule and visits places at his own pace. I never book flights or hotels through tourist agencies. I also like to travel in small groups of friends ( 4 tops ).

MariaMaria likes this.
  13. Jjones

Gold Member

I'm the guy that only wants to go tropical places (at this point in my life) or to the Redneck Riviera. Maybe I'll try something else down the road.

For now, I don't make any plans other than packing a cooler of beer and a sandwich , then go and sit at the beach all day and watch the waves and people until I'm out of beer.

Then I'll go inside and get a shower and dress, then go eat some seafood. Wake up and repeat for a week straight!

MariaMaria likes this.
  14. MariaMaria

Gold Member

:D Love it!

cook74 likes this.
  15. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

with me things vary A LOT. sometimes I go without planning, sometimes I plan it well, I don't like feeling like I have no place to be, I need to have accommodation sorted, none of that "sleep anywhere". I don't need the accommodation to be fancy but needs to be there. I love going to places that have historical/scientific/cultural value (A lot of the times those places are the touristic ones but I don't mind as long as there's something interesting for me to see.

I LOVE trying local food and it doesn't have to be from a restaurant, a whole in the wall might do the trick as long as the locals eat there too and it's good. When it comes to other types of traveling like nature/sports, it depends where I'm going, I don't like to camp on the beach (hate the sand and the heat) but in the woods/mountains must be awesome.

MariaMaria likes this.
  16. Long stroke

Gold Member

Love traveling... I owned a small trucking company for a few years and traveled non stop during that time. My favorite was driving out west thru Montana, Wyoming, Colorado etc. during the spring time when the mountains still had snow but the valleys were covered in flowers and green grass. Just beautiful!... We also, on cross country trips to LA, several trucks used to wake up in the mornings at the Texas/Lousiana border and try to race the sun across Texas just to see if we could make it to the other side before the Sun set that evening. Racing across West Texas at 90+ mph with 40 tons was always a thrill. Sure miss those days!

MariaMaria likes this.
  17. doovalacky

Gold Member

I love to rough it when traveling nothing but a swag under the stars for weeks at a time. traveling in remote parts of Australia it would be irresponsible not plan out your trip because of the danger. For weekend trips though it’s just pack the Ute and head out and wing it.
    Driving through the desert while it was flooded and seeing Australia’s largest dry salt lake full of water from above in a farmers helicopter would be at the top of the list for things I’ve seen in my travels

#37 doovalacky, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    sensless likes this.
  18. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I'm interested in tips on where to hike in Australia, since I'll probably be visiting again in 2018. I'm particularly interested on the northwest. Have you hiked there? I've ever only seen it from the plane and it looked like my kind of place.

For safety, what do you carry in your kit for long hikes? I mean it about the wild life.

Thank you for any tips.

cook74 likes this.
  19. cook74

Gold Member

Should visit Sydney ;)

Wild life in Australia is pretty tame, sure there are spiders, snakes and sharks but they are in most other countries too.

I remember a trip to Barrington Tops

barrington-tops-np-map.jpg

when I was in my 20s and my old man was a wildlife photographer and he needed some shots of copperhead snakes...

snake_Austrelaps_superbus_Copperhead_Silvan051126-3139.jpg

(not his shot)

He had warned me to wear shoes when exiting my tent for a stroll (to take a piss) just in case, as there was a lot of tall grass. I didn't listen (as I was preoccupied with all the birds and wallabies around our site) and almost stepped on one, gave me the fright of my life but luckily they are more scared of us than we are of them and it pissed off, but had I actually stepped on it then I would have been in real trouble...

He caught 4 different copperheads and got really good shots in different locations around the area btw ( He had worked with Reptiles and amphibians for much of his early life and moved on to mammals, birds and insects only in later years.)

20. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I've had a close encounter with a pit viper in Costa Rica. I have a picture of her, somewhere, and I'll post it if I find it. Beautiful snake. What kind of kit do you take with you for such eventualities?

Besides a camera!:oops:;):p

cook74 likes this.