What type of traveler are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MariaMaria, May 21, 2017.

1. MariaMaria

Gold Member

If you love to travel, how do you prefer to do it?
    Are you a planner or you just get there and decide?
    Do you like to rough it or prefer to stay at nice places?
    Do you prefer to drive, fly, walk?
    Do you travel to see nature, art, try local cuisine, party or all of the above?
    Feel free to share as much as you want! :)

In the US, I like to drive places because this country is made for driving. My dream, however, is to walk a trail like the American discovery one or El camino de Santiago in France/Spain. I have backpacked before and it's fucking awesome. I truly hope I can do it again soon. I can rough it (just for a couple of days, though!) and I also like to stay in nice places. Nothing luxurious, though, I find that too stuffy. I like to see it all, especially nature.
    What about you?

MrRam65, PerfectPussy, xtacy4 and 2 others like this.
  2. JackieTreehorn

Gold Member

This will probably be among the least exotic responses, lol.
    I agree with your driving comment. Before kids, we used to occasionally say on a Friday after work, "Ok which direction should we go?" just figuring it out as we went. Or "hey we should go to Craters of the Moon," and just do it. Roughing-it camping was more a function of clueless lack of preparation than trying to be romantic or bad-ass about it.

Once kids came along we were forced to put more preparation into travel, and roughing it turned into 'hotel' camping (as Maude puts it) at places like KOA where they had amenities (karaoke night at one place!).:cool:

A lot of our travels in recent years have been tied to kids' activities, but those activities have given us reason to go to some great places both in the US and overseas.

MrRam65, PerfectPussy, xtacy4 and 3 others like this.
  3. MariaMaria

Gold Member

LOL I can certainly relate to this!

JackieTreehorn likes this.
  4. doggiestylegirluk

Gold Member

#TeamDSG Services GmbH - located Germany / UK
    Oh I love to travel. Usually around the UK and Germany for work matters.

Also travel when I get to complete humanitarian work so sometimes that is Africa or where people are besieged by conflicts. Just love helping other people.

For holiday / vacation that can be anywhere providing it is a full appointed hotel. Although I do like the thrills of US Disneyworld ha ha and visiting family in three parts of the United States.

However on vacation/holiday the work mobile phones still come with us - as do the tablets. So a vacation is never truly a relaxing proposition.

But my finest and most rewarding travel is when we visit our sponsorship children in Africa - 12 in total so we ensure we get enough time to spend with all the families - just heart breaking some of the conditions - but the smiles and the energy could warm even the coldest of hearts. That is my most rewarding and happiest travel. And the hospitality is second to none.

#TeamDSG

5. Maude

Gold Member

Of course we still love the beach vacations when we can sneak them in. Nothing better than long walks on the beach soaking up some sunshine.

6. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I agree that the beach makes for an awesome vacation :) I'm not about trying crazy sports or anything like that, long walks, reading and swimming make for a perfect beach day.

7. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I love traveling.

I’ve tried different types of vacation and have enjoyed a range of things, but my favorite is the rough, outdoors, nature vacation.

It's focused on the sports I like, such as hiking, snorkeling, diving, running, surfing... and on being as far from people as possible.

I don’t like visiting cities, trying foods visiting monuments, musea... anything crowded and man made isn't for me.

If I'm traveling with my man, I may do these things to accompany him. But mostly, I travel alone.

Accommodation is rough, since I avoid people. In many places, I sleep in my tent, or very basic homestays and guesthouses. I've already slept on deserted beaches, no tent, on the sands, as well as in my (rental) 4wd in the desert. I don't mind. I even prefer it!

I've visited about half of the UN recognized countries. What I do is to choose a place to visit, buy the air tickets, pack as light as possible (preferably only hand luggage) and go. If I'm going somewhere where one really, really needs to reserve accommodation in advance, I'll do that.

8. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I relate to the desire of staying away from crowded places as much as I can. I think we should hear more about women traveling alone 'cause I'm sick of the "but you're gonna get raped/tortured/killed" speech I've gotten and that I sometimes fear myself. In the end, I've only regretted not going places because of fear.

sensless likes this.
  9. Mr_E

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Pack a duffel bag and put my residence in the rear view. I hate planning. If the trip is all planned, the best that can happen is it meets expectation. The worst, is everything goes wrong. Unplanned, and everything is a bonus.

10. Rhaenys

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    It really depends on where I'm going and what I'm in the mood for, but I always go to have fun and experience whatever the culture has to offer. I'm a pure-blood city girl and not very "outdoorsy" at all, but I make exceptions for the right places. Never for camping though. I don't do tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc. Minimal driving because I hate being in a car. So I'll go with any option other than that if it's available like flying, walking, boats, trains, etc. I'll take cabs if i have to, but I won't ever drive myself. I do always plan ahead, unless I'm traveling around to different parts of Europe since that usually happens when I'm there visiting friends or family and it's not really necessary to do a lot of advanced planning.

I've also done quite a bit of traveling alone. Mostly in Europe/the UK. But also a few parts of the Middle East and Morocco, and I took the Trans-Siberian Rail alone. It can be a little scary, which is normal because many places are notorious for targeting women for such reasons or for manipulating them into trafficking drugs (all of this stuff can happen even if you're not alone though). But the worst that has happened to me was being gawked and howled at in Morocco and Turkey, which I expected would happen since they're considered two of the sexual harassment capitals of the world. You just always have to know what to expect with the locals in some countries and always be alert, and not let any of those cute foreign strangers charm you into traveling to someplace else with them ;)

11. xtacy4

Gold Member

Short answer- after traveling with children, I need another vacation! :confused: So much work! (So, shhh...traveling w/o kids is preferred lol) But it is also so incredibly satisfying to be able to see them light up when seeing or experiencing something new! :)
    Expanded answer later. ;)

12. xtacy4

Gold Member

I prefer flying to the destination and then renting a car if needed. Places that have restaurants and activities within walking distance are always at the top of my list. I'm not a big planner, but I do like researching what restaurants and things to do people recommend. Hotels. Maybe a nice RV, but probably wouldn't camp in a tent anymore. The only thing I cannot stand on vacation...malls. Yuck. Lol

Mr_E and duffy like this.
  13. NedF

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I love road trips and would love to see more of NA in an RV after retirement. I have already driven through 30+ States and 5 Provinces.

I love to fly (if I had the money when I was young I would have been a pilot) but I get a little stressed due to the unknowns (time to get through security and/or customs. I am fine once I am sitting at the gate.

I really like taking a cruse (a traveling hotel room), but the wife and I are more interested in scenery and less about shopping and walking through cities so we tend to like cruses like up to Alaska or others.

I travel a lot for work and don't mind it too much but living out of suitcases is not my favourite.

MariaMaria likes this.
  14. Mr_E

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I always thought camping was just an excuse to get drunk in the woods.:D

15. SexyFantasyGirl

Gold Member

I always thought camping was a good excuse to have sex in the woods :)
    although I don't think you need a excuse to have sex

PerfectPussy, sensless and Mr_E like this.
  16. Mr_E

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Just watch out for the poison ivy. That could go terribly wrong. No one wants that on the nethers.;)

17. U.K.Owen

Gold Member

I'm the one to be able to forget the palasport in the hotel, missing the fly

MariaMaria likes this.
  18. Candela

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo

There is nothing more breathtaking then being out in the woods on horseback early in the morning. Many people never take the time to observe what nature has to offer...I don't travel. If I do it's a quick trip to N Florida with my dogs. I hate camping as the bugs are too bad. I stay at moderate hotels If I have to and they must accept pets,Even if I have to pay extra.I prefer to drive,I am afraid to fly,I have never been on a train. If I do take a trip,Yes I do plan for at least a hour!:D:D

19. MeganRocheTG

Gold Member

i tend to like taking the train unless I have to fly (had bad times with ear pops) and I tend to stay around the hotel area when I go to vegas

sensless and MariaMaria like this.
  20. PerfectPussy

Gold Member

WHATTT IT'S NOT :eek::D:D