What type of art do you like?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MariaMaria, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I love all art disciplines, but nothing makes me happier than looking at a grainy black and white photograph.
    [​IMG]
    Cartier-Bresson, 1932

Wanna share your favorite pieces/artists?

Candela and SexyFantasyGirl like this.
  2. Dubber

Gold Member

I find BW pics more appealing...forces the photographer to tell a story vs. dazzle with color

Unomike2 and MariaMaria like this.
  3. SexyFantasyGirl

Gold Member

I like all kinds of nature and micro work a lot

#3 SexyFantasyGirl, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Meee

Gold Member

Sonia Delaunay

Nixie and HazHardHat like this.
  5. Mr.Coffee

Gold Member

Hmmm.... Being an Art major in school, I was exposed to a lot of different styles from all the different eras.

It's always been hard to pin-down a favorite type of art. I love all types... painting, photography, illustration (and all the different mediums used in that profession)...

As far as painting, I always loved the Impressionists (van Gogh, Monet, etc.). I seem to prefer landscapes as opposed to portraits. I don't have a favorite photographer, but I like b&w photography in general. I've always loved cartoons since I was a kid, and my own artwork always smacks of cartoons and comic books.

Just like any other form of creative expression, when something speaks to you, you're drawn to it.

lustingwhispers and MariaMaria like this.
  6. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Are you talking about photography or other disciplines as well?

Thanks for sharing this, I'd never heard of her! I love the way she used geometric shapes and vibrant colors. And wow, her personal life is an interesting one too :)
    [​IMG]

I'm with you with the Impressionists. Van Gogh in particular will always have a special place in my heart. What type of art do you make?

7. Mr.Coffee

Gold Member

I used to paint with oils a lot. But as you may know, it is a messy and smelly medium. I simply don't have the proper space to have pursued that area of my interest. That was the "for me" aspect of my artistic pursuits.

What I have done for $$$ has been more Illustration. I "draw" in black ink and a brush, scan it, and then color it in Photoshop. That's been the way I wound up creating art the most. Again, very cartoony.

My art has also been described as "Folk Art". I know what they've meant when they've said that... I don't care much for realism when I draw, paint, etc. I just do what I do and don't really try too hard to make things life-like... if that makes any sense.

MariaMaria likes this.
  8. cook74

Gold Member

At an early stage of my life I wanted to become an animator and the fascination with animation remains so many of my art books focus on animation but to know this discipline/craft it is good to look at others and my tastes vary widely with the arts.

As for older artists I admire Caravaggio, Bosch, Durer and Bruegel to name a few.
    The Impressionists certainly have an effect on me as does the work of Degas and Turner and Klimt.
    But I think my two favorites at this stage of my life are Schiele and Modigliani.

20160412_003725-1.jpg

MariaMaria and HotForHoney like this.
  9. cook74

Gold Member

EGON SCHIELE

Egon_Schiele 3.jpg Egon_Schiele_002.jpg Egon_Schiele_020.jpg egon_schiele_038.jpg Egon_Schiele_071.jpg

MariaMaria likes this.
  10. cook74

Gold Member

Amedeo Modigliani

Amedeo%20Modigliani-482679.jpg Amedeo%20Modigliani-976698.jpg Amedeo_Modigliani_-_Nude_on_a_Divan_(1918).jpg h2_1997.149.9.jpg
    modigliani.jpg

Jake_or and MariaMaria like this.
  11. cook74

Gold Member

This is the favorite painting I have hanging on my walls. Painted in 81 in New York by Vladimir German. I also have 2 small Far Rockaway sea scapes by the same artist. But most of the framed pictures around my house are large photographs of flowers and animals.

20160412_040443.jpg

MariaMaria likes this.
  12. SexyFantasyGirl

Gold Member

I like all types of art work that has to do with nature mostly wildlife,photography is a hobby of mine and I take a lot of pictures,
    I know your not talking about photography as art,but I like any kind of art that has to do with nature

MariaMaria likes this.
  13. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Surrealism, Dadaism, Cubism, Baroque, Rococo, and Post Modernism.

Jake_or and MariaMaria like this.
  14. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Thanks for sharing such beautiful pieces, @cook74 :) I'm not familiar with Schiele, but those pieces certainly piqued my interest. You have a beautiful book collection too!

I love everything nature related as well. Land art blows my mind :) Btw, I certainly consider photography art! Screw the naysayers :)

Wanna share a couple of favorite pieces? ;)

SexyFantasyGirl likes this.
  15. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Don't know much about BioArt, but this blew my mind:

[​IMG]

http://byronrich.com/Protista-Imperialis-2011-2012

16. MrJones

Gold Member

I have always been intrigued by the minimal movement. Sol Lewitt, Donald Judd, Ad Reinhardt.

17. Nixie

Gold Member

I looooooooove her work! I saw some of her paintings in the Centre Pompidou in Paris and had the hardest time tearing myself away from them. :) xx

Jake_or likes this.
  18. sandwich

Gold Member

image.jpg I like to view most art but not anything pre-Columbian. I couldn't tell you how many galleries I have visited. Glass works and abstract pieces have been catching my attention lately.

What do I buy? I gravitate towards subject matter that reflect the things I love. So....I have a large number of works of both the moon and the sun. I also have pieces that depict flowers, trees, music related themes, natural wonders and travel destinations. My husband loves those blueprint guitar images, and I do too, so we have several of those.

Then there is my favorite Van Gogh of all time (see above). I purchased a reproduction from the Van Gogh Museum Shop (online) a few years ago. I don't know if they do this any longer or not, but the one I chose was of the exact dimensions of the original and made to reflect closely the exact colors he used. It was pricey but worth it.

Some of my own work is on our walls. I gravitate toward pattern so they are pieces with no real central subject matter. I probably could have been a fabric designer. I also do signs since so many that you can buy are cheesy looking. I will take a favorite song title or lyrical phrase and match the feel of it to a surface and medium. I prefer painting in pastels on a board with sanded paper but find myself more often using other media that are more out of my comfort zone for signs. I am a far better amateur musician and clothing designer, but I do okay in art.

#18 sandwich, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    cook74 likes this.
  19. Nixie

Gold Member

20. sandwich

Gold Member

Thanks for sharing, and yes, I am a fan! I am not able to produce that level of intricacy, or maybe it's more like I don't have the temperament for it. I have to work at art unlike those who are naturally gifted. Back when I used to wish I had that kind of gift but now I don't care because I have that with music. I can feel music starting up in my brain and sit down to my piano and have original songs come forth from my fingers.

Lately I have been attracted to Caitlin Wilson textiles. She produces fairly simple fun designs with an eye to some of the colors I am most attracted to. We have two of her rugs and I upholstered a bench with one of her fabrics.

Are you an artist?

Did you see the movie, Big Eyes? I didn't care for that art, but the patterns used in the set design and furnishings really caught my eye. I keep meaning to watch it at home and put it on pause on certain designs and use them for inspiration.

cook74 likes this.