What turns you on in writing?

Discussion in 'Erotic Literature' started by vickierichards, Dec 6, 2010.

1. vickierichards

vickierichards New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and want to get a feel for what you guys write, or read about. I write mostly from true life experience, with a little exaggeration added in to increase the impact of the story. Sometimes I think I go too far, and fear it may turn the reader off, or take away from the realism. I guess I'm trying to figure out what appeals to people when reading erotica.

2. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

When I read things, I really like reading about what it's like for the guy when he's having sex or being pleasured, and when he has an orgasm. It intrigues me as something I'll never get to experience, but it really turns me on to read about what it feels like for a man.

3. vickierichards

I do write a lot from the man's view, but it is all really from my perspective; which may be a little skewed. I have asked a few of my guy friends to read over my stuff and let me know if it is believable, and they seem to like it all right. lol

4. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

How bout posting an intro and telling us a little about yourself? I'm sure we'd all love to get to know you. And if that's a picture of you in your avatar, you are CUTE! lol

5. vickierichards

I think I will, I skipped the forum rules and the intro bit because I'm pretty familiar with forum etiquette lol; but it is quite rude not to introduce ones self. :( Yes, that is me in the avatar; I actually hate that photo but it is the only one saved on this laptop.

6. Kermit

Gold Member

I'm working on a novel that i don't know I'll ever finish, about a writer who struggles to cope with the grief and guilt he feels following his drug addicted wife's death. It's a dark surreal drama.

7. vickierichards

I don't know if I am ready to take on a novel, so kudos to you. Have you finished a first draft? And if so, do you have a select few readers who you would trust to give you honest, constructive critique? I would recommend reading Stephen King's, 'On Writing'. It has some really useful tips for writing novels. I found that I fell into about 90% of the pitfalls that were mentioned in the book.

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

I don't read as much erotica as I write but, I look for stories that I can picture myself being the female character in. Stories about rough sex, threesomes and anal sex excite me but, stories about lesbian lovers, abusive sex and over the top mushy stuff just don't do it for me because none of that stuff appeals to me.

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

I wrote a 240 page comedy murder mystery and got it copyrighted. Didn't sell many books, but I never pushed it. I think it might make for a good sitcom if I got off my ass and tried to sell it. I don't really know who to contact and convince them to read it.

10. johndeeregirl

johndeeregirl New Member

I'm another in the process of writing my own novel.. my goal is to be published by 2012 :D

11. Kermit

Gold Member

No rough draft yet, still crafting, took me years to even get a plot. I don't intend there to really be any erotica, perhaps might detail my main character's sex life with his gf and later wife and there will be definate references to bizarre sex acts by people who cannot engage in traditional sex which involves stimulating nerves not meant to be stimulated. But it will definitely not be erotic, if it's depicted it'll be cold brutal and honest.

I could post some excerpts later. I should read that...but this is a personal novel, i don't care if people like it or not, a lot of it is me in it, scattered about. My thoughts, feelings, philosophies, issues about life, sex, empathy, religion, self mutilation, art, etc

#11 Kermit, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  12. Trond

Gold Member

I have sometimes wondered about the same, but the other way round of course. Would have been interesting to be a woman for one day :D.

I think this was part of the reason why I picked up "Kushiel's Dart", by Jacqueline Carey. It's a fantasy novel (which I sometimes like), and I knew that it had some strong sexual content. The only problem is that sex in this book is more about the S&M than "normal" sex. I sort of knew this before reading it, but I couldn't find anything I'd rather read at the time. Some of the raunchier parts were so graphic that I wondered if a male author could have gotten away with writing like this about a similar female main character without being suspected of having issues with women. I am not really turned on by S&M, but some of it was still quite hot. It's a complicated work with lots of other stuff going on, so I would not recommend it for the erotic parts alone.

13. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Well, first off I like it to be well written. Not overly wordy, but some good use of vocabulary is great. I'm not into things that are abusive. Kinky is one thing, but stories where there is clear actual abuse just ruins it for me. I'll read sappy romantic stuff and I'll read some trashy/kinky stuff. As long as the story doesn't suck ass and it's not written like a grade schooler, I can generally get into it. I specifically like it to be well detailed and descriptive in the hot and heavy parts of the story. I'm no different than any other guy really in that visual is a big thing, but it's not 100% for me. I am quite able and happy to have things described and picture it all in my head as well.

14. cbrmale

Gold Member

I have two published fiction novels and just signed a contract for a third in a different genre. The first two were crime/romance: original and sequel, and the third is historial fantasy (with lots of sex: mainstream novel sex though). The key to a good story or novel or any fiction is characterisation, and the best technique is to develop a good biography of you key characters. Their pasts, presents, likes, dislikes, family, friends, educational background, work, sexual experiences, philosophy of life and so on. I found an online template for characters, and I have used that with success.

So the starting point is a concept, then the theme, then (for me) characters, then plot outline and then the story. Theme is essential, or else it may end up being well-written but strangely unsatisfying.

I actually started out by writing erotica at the around 5,000 words, and three of my stories were picked for publication, and then I branched into mainstream novels from there.

15. redlacesexblog

redlacesexblog New Member

as a member of the romantic writers association of america, i can tell you there's a niche for every facet of erotica. in fact, there's a niche group within the writer's association--passionate ink.

do what feels best to you. fantasy? historical? personal experience/reality? sci-fi? it all has a place and readership.

16. Sigh

Gold Member

The small and explicit details that people tend to forget or overlook. Explaining the environment and how the characters look smell feel etc so you can perfectly picture it in your head.