What should the age of concent be ?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Kronnie, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

for sexual intercourse ...
    As for me i have been brought up in countries where 16 is the legal age limit for intercourse
    and these seem very fair to me for a legal guideline

(( New thread, apologies Ryan :)))

2. Nettle

Nettle Member

Yes, it is 16 here, and I think it is a fair age, although I do like that in some countries, under 18s are only supposed to do it with each other, I think that helps towards protecting "children" over the age of consent.

Mind you, an awful lot start way too young and under the age of consent regardless of the law; but the law can be enough to make some people think twice, luckily for me.... when I was 15 a 22 year old bloke was interested in me, but didn't go too far cos he knew my parents would have prosecuted if they found out. By the time I reached 16 I saw sense and realised what an old perve he was ;)

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

In my State it is 12 as long as the partner is less than two years older, and 16 if the partner is more than two years older. The rest of Australia is 16. The median age of first sexual intercourse in Australia is around 16, which means that half of adolescents are having sex before the age of consent, which in jurisprudence terms makes the legal age ridiculous. When I found out about 12 I was startled, but the young age doesn't create any social issues at all. Some other countries (eg Canada) have similar ages (14 if the partner is less than two years older) and again it is not a problem.

4. Nettle

Nettle Member

The difficulty is that children mature at different rates, emotionally. 12 to me is too young emotionally or physically.

16 sounds about right to me, my daughter is 17 and does not feel ready, but then she is sensible enough not to feel pressured by her friends into doing something she isn't ready for.

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I see it as a guideline ( it is a law as well ) i lost my vaginity at 11.... but i knew i was underage legaly,i dont regret the experience at all, but the age i do.

No law is ever going to change horny under age people from having sex...
    That is why it is a guideline.

That i agree with completly. 18 and over i think any age should be alright as long as the 18 year old is comfy and aware.

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

When a law is disregarded by half the population and all the law enforcement authorities, it may as well not be there.

In my State, there hasn't been an epidemic of 12 year old sex, so it really isn't a big deal. At least the 12 year / 2 year partner difference makes something that has always happened (and always will happen) legal and also gives the parties right of access to STD and birth protection facilities. The big problem of age of consent is not that it doesn't stop young teenages having sex, it is ILLEGAL and therefore supplying condoms etc to horny 13 year-olds becomes a grey area in a legal sense and you end up with teen pregnancies and more complications than the whole thing is worth.

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

The law should be there because the other half ader to it in my view.....
    No laws would equal chaos..
    Laws are there for good reasons...but also as guidlines.
    In certain parts of africa some girls get married at 8 years old to adult men, im sure that would not be something that would be acceptable in many countries.

The issue of condoms for under age people is pretty easy to over come these days and back when i was far younger.... ( maybe because of where i lived ) but toilets in the clinics had condom machines, motorway service station toilets also have condom machines.
    they are readaly available to get a hold off.

8. PappaBear

PappaBear New Member

18 suits me just fine >:]

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

This is basic jurisprudence (the theory of law). A law that is disregarded, it is not a law (a rough English translation of the latin first rule).

In Australia, prostitution was legalised on the same basis in the early 1980s. No matter how much the police tried they couldn't eradicate prostitution, so they legalised it instead. The Australian legalisation formed the template for other countries like the Netherlands and Germany.

No doubt the age of consent in my State spins from the same theory, if a law is disregarded you get rid of it or change it. My State is the most recent in Australia's history (formed in 1989), so the legislators started with a clean sheet and implemented a law that doesn't seem to cause any harm.

In my State we don't have motorway service stations and very few public toilets, so the only way to buy or get condoms is over the counter, but unless they are legal to sell or give away then there are problems.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

That is why i stated maybe i was lucky on where i lived :)

Well i still feel an age limit should be there, the same as an age limit for drinking, the same as an age limit for marriage and for pregnancy.
    Its all very well being able to have sex, it is a different ball game being mentaly ready for sex..Just because a pre teen boy can ger a hardon doesnt mean its wise for them to have sex, just because some female start periods before 10 doesnt mean they are ready for sex and what that entails mentaly...these laws are their to protect , but like i said even though they are lwas they are more guidlines...Would you be happy if say you had a young daughter and a young son, of 11 going out and having sex with others ?

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

In the US it varies by state but it's usually around 16-17-18. In some states, i.e. Hawaii and Idaho, it can be as young as 14.

Alabama 16
    Alaska 16
    Arizona 18
    Arkansas 16
    California 18
    Colorado 15
    Connecticut 15
    D.C. 16
    Delaware 16
    Florida 16/18 (bill pending)
    Georgia 16
    Hawaii 14
    Idaho 14
    Illinois 16/17
    Indiana 16
    Iowa 18
    Kansas 16
    Kentucky 16 - [1]
    Louisiana 17
    Maine 16
    Maryland 16
    Massachusetts 16/18
    Michigan 16
    Minnesota 16
    Mississippi 16 - [2]
    Missouri 17
    Montana 16
    Nebraska 16
    Nevada 16
    New Hampshire 16/18
    New Jersey 16/18
    New Mexico 17
    New York 17
    North Carolina 16
    North Dakota 18
    Ohio 16
    Oklahoma 16
    Oregon 18
    Pennsylvania 16
    Rhode Island 16
    South Carolina 14/16
    South Dakota 16
    Tennessee 18
    Texas 17
    Utah 16/18
    Vermont 16
    Virginia 15
    Washington 16
    West Virginia 16
    Wisconsin 18
    Wyoming 16
    Puerto Rico 18

FOOTNOTES:
    [1]Age 16 if the man is 21 or older.
    [2]If the female is over 12, the status applies only to virgins.

As far as my own feelings on the concept of consent, I'm not so sure if the age at which one can agree to have sex needs to be legislated. Age of Consent laws have been steadily ignored since their inception and will continued to be ignored. Why can't the young people in this world be permitted to take responsibility for their own actions? If you're old enough to have sex, then you're old enough to deal with the consequences.

Taken from this website.

12. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

( Not picking or having a go in any ways here )

Being able to slide a hard penis in a vagina does not mean you have the abilty to take the emotional side after the sex is over at a young age...
    Say the laws were gotten rid off.....and anyone was able to sex as long as they felt they were old enough....does that mean we will end up with a spate of 8-9 year old females having babies....9-11 year old boys being fathers....kids having sex whilst still before they start their teens ?

There are and is more to sex than just the act of it, there are many emotions involved wit hsex as well.... as i put being old enough to have sex , will not mean being mature enough mentaly to deal wit hthe after of it.

Not all children that would have sex ( if the laws were abolished ) would be having safe protected sex )

( I was a very young starter and could have been a dad at 12, i know full well at 12 i wouldnt have been able to cope with the emotional side of the implications of being a father before i was even a teenager.

13. Elvis

Elvis Member

14. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Some how after reading that it says nothing about young children having sex though

It states how sex has been around for a long long time ( thats self evident ) and also that it has been enjoyed since the begining ( also pretty self evident , but not all enjoy sex these days as im sure not all back then did either )
    the romans for instance 2000 years ago, would have children usualy very young boys, for the adult men to enjoy sexualy ( young boys being around 8 or a little older , today that would be classed as rape , and the person ( adult ) locked away for doing such )

If the aprents of this forum are overly happy and willing for their young children to have sex when ever they feel ready for it, no matter the age then i guess for you that is a good thing )
    But for me i would be devistated if my 11 year old boy or girl went out to start having sex ) i guess from how some have posted here i would be seen as insain to be upset by such a thing.

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

In many parts of the world, as soon as a young girl has her first menstrual period she is considered sexually mature and indeed, many girls as young as 11 are married and start having children right away. In our more "civilized" societies however, we feel compelled to make decisions for other people who are considered too immature or too stupid to think for themselves. My point was that regardless of whether these laws are in place, young people will continue to experiment sexually. Instead of implementing laws and punishments for young people, we should be educating them and making birth control, condoms, etc, as readily available as possible.

#15 Puss_in_boots, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  16. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Ok so at 11 you would have been more than happy to have a baby of your own, and look after the baby as well ? and be very capable of doing so ?

some youngsters will ( i was one of them ) have sex no matter what, but some ( i know it must seem odd ) people do not have sex in any way untill they are older......

So does this mean age should not be a problem.....any age can have sexual intercourse with any age .... i know well enough that in 3rd world countries some girls are married before their 10th irthday and pregnant before or after that...so i guess a 10 year old girl if she felt it was ok for her, could have sex ( getting rid of the laws ) with a 20 year old or older male , or the same the other way around then ? )

Nothing to do with sex here ....but to do with how able we are as a whole to be able to do things without laws..... take away traffic lights road crossing and the devider lines......what would happen ?

17. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Just in case you didn't see it the first time:

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

18. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Ok fine....any age for sex, any age for giving birth, maybe they can go out get a job get married and support themselves and the baby at the any age as well :)...

So what age do we teach these toddlers about sex....if they are going to have sex at 7 8 9 years old ....as soon as they can speak or when they take their first step ?

19. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Okay, may I interrupt? Please don't sound so angry, Kronnie. You had to know this topic would turn into a debate.

Is it realistic to expect that a youngster (someone under, say, 15) could or would assume responsibility for being sexually active and becoming pregnant? In our day and age, probably not, because individuals of that age have, for the majority, not been taught responsibility and consequences. There was a time when individuals of that age were responsible.

I have a child who is nearly 11. Would I be overjoyed to find her sexually active? No. Would I hold her responsible for her actions? Absolutely. I also would not be overjoyed to find her heavily punished by laws for experimenting. What's the happy medium? Well, MY happy medium is that I'm going to make damn sure that my young daughters do know about sex, and the consequences. It is my job to teach them, and I am doing the very best job that I can, and someday, when they are absolute individuals I must hope that I helped them learn well.

20. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Sorry Mel i wasnt angry ... :) i already have pmed Puss :)..
    I do agree wit hthe experimentation , as youngsters will test certain things out ( not all and maybe not as many as we may think ) but some.
    Educating can help in many ways that is a fact i can understand and take on board.....but how do you educate someone about what to expect when having a baby at such a young age ?
    (( The reason i put this thread up is because i saw another of its type that me and another member were asked to not post in anymore and to make a new one if neededed, but i put this up more to do with age of consent for penitrational sex.
    Doctors and nurses, strip poker and such are ( or at least where pretty comman when i was bought up as a boy, also kiss chase and such...all experimenting types of games )

Its great that you are going to teach your daughter Mel...and i hope she grows up to be a loving and wonderful lady :)