What should I do with my life?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scorpio_nymph, Jul 18, 2007.

1. scorpio_nymph

scorpio_nymph New Member

i'm 18. i've graduated high school. i have a part-time job. i still live with my parents. i need some direction in my life. college was never really a seriously-considered option for me, not because i didn't have the ability or resources, but because i had no desire for it whatsoever. what should i do with my life so that when i'm on my deathbed i can look back and consider myself to have been a worthwhile, productive human being?

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

Shit man, I thought this forum as all about sex. I can't answer that, sorry. Now, if you want to know how to suck dick, let me know. :D

3. Stormy

Stormy New Member

Your only 18. You still have plenty of time to figure that out. In the meantime, you just lack life experience. That, more than anything, helps you decide what direction you want to go in.

4. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

Take some time off for a while and think about it. You don't have to rush into one thing right now. You're only 18 for God sakes. You have your whole life ahead of you. Wait a few months and think about it. Do have any special hobbies or interests?

CL, you're too funny. ;)

5. Halogen

Halogen New Member

What she said :)

6. runnerx32

runnerx32 New Member

My advice is find a job you'd like to do and you think youd enjoy, then find a way to get that job. Money isnt everything, its doing something you really enjoy that is a great reward for me.

7. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Get your butt into college, girl. Seriously, if you've got the smarts and the money for it (and if you've got the smarts the money is there), get more education. At some point in the next year, decide on a vocation, but the first couple years in college is about the same for everyone -- English, math, science, government, etc.

You can be productive flipping burgers at Mac's Lounge or you can be productive counting out pills at the local Walgreens. One pays $15,000 per year and the other pays $90,000. One you can start doing tomorrow and the other you can start doing in five years. Either way, you'll make about $90,000 in the next six years. One way will be fun, one will be drudgery. One has a future; one doesn't.

If you think you've finished your education, you're wrong. You'll learn all your life, but to a great degree you can choose what you want to learn. Your future and the future of your yet-to-be-born children depend on what you decide to do now. Community colleges are fine for starters, but just get into college and work your buns off.

(Psssstt.... For the most part, college is easier than high school, more fun and more rewarding.)

8. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Joe. Don't rule out college just yet. Believe me I know how you feel. We've all been there. You just graduated from high school and the last thing you want to do is sit in another classroom. There's nothing wrong with taking a year or two off. That's what I did...until I got sick of working my ass off for hardly any money.

College and high school are *completely* different experiences. Even if you don't want to commit to a four year university just yet, you can look into taking a few classes or some vocational training at your local community college. Of course there are exceptions but for the most part these days you cannot get a decent paying job unless you have at least some education and/or training.

9. rabbitt

rabbitt New Member

What do you enjoy doing?

Me, I'm going to try acting in Hollywood. It's hard to do, blah blah, but I know that if I don't try I'll be unhappy for the rest of my life. You need to do whatever makes you happy.

Regardless of whether or not it is a sure thing. I know how you feel about college. I was the same way last year. Then it hit me. I'll do what I know I want to do. I hate seeing people 30+ years old, unhappy because they never tried what they wanted. Even if they make six figures a year they are still unhappy.

Also, you might look into the Navy or something like that. Great opportunities there.

10. P1MP1NJ

P1MP1NJ New Member

go to college it will be worth it in the long run

11. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Why dont you just think about where you would like to be, and what your ideal situation would be when your about 30 or so and work toward it.....there's just so much to think about...jobs.....love....travel......kids.....all sorts of experiences....it's all waiting for you.
    You know, lots of the above will probably happen before you reach your 30s, in no particular order either, it's called the rollercoaster of life and one simple twist of fate can change your life forever, but if youv'e at least got some idea of what you want to aspire to...:)

Regarding the education side of things, dont write off your education options too quickly,:tsktsk

12. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I totally understand your aversion to 'more schooling'. Some of us just are NOT cut out for learning from books and lectures. When I graduated high school, I knew it was the last timne I would grace the doorstep of a higher learning institution.

You may be one that learns (and enjoys learning) through a more 'hands-on' approach. You may be more artistically inclined. This doesn't mean you are an artist, it just means that you need to see the results of your work - in a physical way.

Have you thought of learning a trade - one that you would enjoy, and that would provide a good living. At first, you would be an apprentice (the 'learning' part), but you could take it as far as you like - even becoming a business owner yourself.

When you are well on your way to becoming proficient in your trade, you may find that you wish to go back to school for more book-sense, but it will be based on what you have learned about yourself in recent years. One can't argue the fact that a college education gives you more opportunities for job placement - but you want to make sure you are spending the rest of your life ENJOYING your career, not just ENDURING it. In the meantime, a trade is ALWAYS a good thing to have. It can always be something you can fall back on during hard times.
    jmho

13. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Also travel see some of the world ( your young and there is a whole world out there )
    also perhaps write down all your good points and your bad points, just from doing that , that can help you in some ways to eaither go for a job that suits your good qualities, or college university to further the ones thatare your bad points.

14. medman937

medman937 New Member

Either get your butt into college or live your life striving to make 30-50k a year or worse. The days of our fathers going to work after coming home from a war and working at the same place 20 some years have long passed. Without an education, you will find your life difficult. Unless of course you are 5'9" wear a size 6 with killer eyes, perfect hair and 38 d's. Then you can just wait on that college graduate to marry you.

15. gitt

gitt New Member

my suggestion is that just do what you want to do,Such as your intested things.
    Hey guy,free your style!

16. ShelbyStang

ShelbyStang New Member

I tell ya, college is tough, and it takes alot of money...but it opens all kinds of doors!

17. ddoubleu

ddoubleu New Member

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe it's the journey, not the destination.

18. Martin_Baker

Martin_Baker New Member

Funnily enough when I was 18 I was exactly where you are now. Didn't (and still don't) have any interest in university (what you guys call college). Enjoyed working and earning money but the job I had was going nowhere. Hated the town I grew up in and was looking for a way to get out of there.

My solution was to join the military. I will never suggest this for anyone else, it has to be a personal choice but I've never looked back. They've trained me up and I have a trade and I still really enjoy the lifestyle.

Like I said what I did is not for everyone but the point I want to make is the most important thing is to find something you enjoy doing. Money isn't everything and I know this from personal experience:-

On my recruit training course 10 years ago there was a guy who was a few years older than me and he was already a fully qualified lawyer with a 6 figure income but absolutely hated turning up to work everyday. Hated it so much he made a dramatic life change, took over a 50% pay cut and joined the military the same time I did to do a trade, he didn't even want to be a military lawyer. He's still serving and has no interest in going back to lawyering.

So if you have an idea of what you like doing but aren't really sure where you'll end up I'd say run with it. If you enjoy it you'll put in a lot more effort and may even surprise yourself...

All the best and happy hunting....

19. cbrmale

Gold Member

You've got half the right idea, too many people waste their lives and end up looking back with regret. At least at 18, you're thinking of the bigger picture.

I recommend going to university (which I think is sort-of like your college), because it was the best thing I ever did. I studied commerce, but changed to information technology analysis early in my career, so it shows that whatever you study doesn't constrain you. The thing is you can't do my job without a degree, it is mandatory.

And what do I have? Well, I honestly look forward to getting out of bed and going to work each morning. At age 49, my job is interesting, challenging, rewarding, rarely boring. Oh, it pays well too!

Beyond work, life is what we make of it. Find love. Travel and see the world. No, travel a lot and see a lot of the world! Travel to exotic destinations is fantastic, every country is so different, every memory lasts a lifetime.

Go to university, get a good job, earn lots of money, find love and travel a lot! That's my recipe.

20. keyboardsrcool

keyboardsrcool New Member

i am in the same position lol. 18, doesnt really like college, part time job ect. What i am doing is going to a two year college tho called occ. Its only two years, its community and it is super easy, and if i can handle more school my credits transfer to a 4 year school. Not to mention it is cheap and i get my associates degree. I dont really have my future planned either, but i keep being told to do things i like, and outside of playing keyboard, paintball and my girlfriend there isnt much i can do, and none of those are good careers sadly. As stupid as it seems i am taking my like direction from clerks 2, i want to try own my own store. LIke a music shop or a paintball store. So that way at least i am around things i like. I hope that helped you.