What scares you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I just finished my second book and I'm home sick so I want to start gathering thoughts for my next. What sort of people scare you besides the obvious knife wielding maniac? Clowns, dentists, mimes...? I don't really have any phobias that involve people, so I want to know what frightens you.

2. 12barblues

Gold Member

religious extremists scare the fuck outta me....

3. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Actually... that's not a bad idea. They do attempt to brainwash children :/ I'm going to explore this idea, but keep posting more.

4. 12barblues

Gold Member

ok here's a messed up idea......god and the devil are actually one and the same....that would make for a good horror story...

please dont take offense at me...just an idea for a fictional story..

5. awakened

awakened New Member

Carnival workers (Carnies) CREEP me out.

They used to burn a hole through me with their eyes when i was a teenager, like they were going to rape me behind their booth, ewwwwwwww

6. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Fucking beetles and roaches man. I can handle snakes and spiders and shit as long as I know where they are but the crispy wingedness of a beetle scares the fuck outta me.

Also: heights, complete darkness, tidalwaves, commitment lol

7. Mittimer

Gold Member

Gawkers. People who gawk at you, with that really....strange smile. Really it's all about the eyes and smile. They say it all.

Some people can look as nice as nice can be, but when they lower their eyes and have that smirk, it seriously makes me feel like I'm going to die.

8. backcheck64

Gold Member

Here, here. Anyone that believes in that crap is scary to me.

9. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

Long bridges over water!! I hate going down to the city because of it...and then..when traffic is backed up on the bridge...I feel like getting out and running to the other side so I'm not stuck on it.

Certain spiders....we have some GIANT spiders where I'm at and they seem to torment me. It's like they know I'm scared of em...and hang out by my laundry area in my basement. Over this summer I accidently put my hand into ones web...if it wasn't bad enough that this spider was as big as my hand....what I thought was coal dust in the web...actually was thousands of babies!! Eeekk! yeah I went into a panic attack. Lol

10. Essene

Gold Member

Bluntly: Canadians and Latter Day Saints. They're all too nice. People who are "too nice" freak me the fuck out. I have never made a Mormon upset and I have only seen a Canadian mad after (near) sheer emotional torture. SO... Yeah. Those two groups. I use to have quite a few friends from each category.

Mosquitoes (I saw a movie where a large mosquito sucked the fluids of a bloke until his eyes bulged out and popped when I was a kid). Their dangling feet are the scariest part. I like proper proportions.

Failure. 'Nuff said.

Dark places (such as foggy woods and dangerous-esque alley ways). I love going into dark places because it MAKES me feel afraid and that is a thrill in my life I seek whenever I can.

Heights (especially when proper barriers aren't set up). Ergo- a railing system that only goes waist high instead of neck+ height. I had a recurring dream as a child that freaked me out. (All of my dreams are very real feeling... I once woke up feeling like I was drunk without having drank anything the night before.)

Not being a women (I'm sort of transgendered). I strive for the feminine facets in life with a miniscule drive toward women and, at times, men. It's a very subtle fear; but only because I've repressed much of the feelings associated with it.

#10 Essene, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. Kermit

Gold Member

Heron Birds

[​IMG]

12. Mittimer

Gold Member

Just wanted to point out that he asked "people" not things :p

13. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

Nowdays I don't find people scary really. I get annoyed by some people though. mostly stupid people. (i know thats not very nice to say)

However I did have social anxiety or social phobia (whichever you want to call it) some time ago. I guess you could say thats the ultimate in fear of other people. I was literally afraid of all people.
    Imagine you're walking in the streets and every single person you meet seems like a monster you are desperatly trying to avoid.
    My mind was in a way merging my imagination with real life and I actually saw people transform into monsters before my eyes. It sounds weird I know but its hard to explain what it was like.
    The phobia was mostly connected to interactions though so if I made sure to keep absolutely to myself they didnt go full monster on me.

I have no idea if thats any use in a piece of fiction but there you go.

14. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

The taxation department......:(

15. 12barblues

Gold Member

thank you kermit....i musta laughed for 5 minutes.....

16. cbrmale

Gold Member

You're a writer of fiction too! Ha, two of us. My books tend to drift towards romance as subsidiary to something else, but I did write one which is dark and brooding. It wasn't the people as much as the location and the atmosphere I created through words. One of my books is being published through a North American e-book publisher in May and this darker sequel later in the year, but I digress.

The dark sequel was set in a bleak and lonely place with few people around, but it's very easy to go overboard and make it cliched rather than real.

17. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Nice.

I think I got the story figured out. A bunch of christian fundamentalists siege the house of a biology teacher who failed one their their kids because they refused to learn evolution, and his gay roommate.

18. CosmicEye

Gold Member

lol wow.. Kermits pic clicked extra late for me.

I will not mention my worst fear. Even the word is gross. But my second worst fear are maggots, which is also a sick fat squishy word.

19. cbrmale

Gold Member

Too American! Write what would work world-wide and see where that takes you.

20. 12barblues

Gold Member

lol....