What is proper etiquette in a sauna?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Zazzles, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Zazzles

Verified Gold Member

We are planning on going to a sauna soon when we are staying at a hotel. We have never been before and we were wondering what are some of the rules and etiquette of being in a sauna? what do we wear? do we talk?

If people could give us some tips it would be much appreciated :)

download.jpg

2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

I imagine same as boarding a train or visiting a nude beach: act respectfully.
    Done the train and nudist beach including playing volleyball naked but not the sauna or nude swimming pool.
    Sexual things can happen anywhere or nowhere; it is the company you keep that dictates the limits.

Zazzles likes this.
  3. NedF

Verified Gold Member

From my experience;

Respect boundaries as you choose where to sit (harder to do if its crowded). For many its a place of relaxation so if it is quite when you enter help keep it so. Maybe a polite greeting and then sit back and see if that opens up a conversation if not any small talk you have within your party should be done quietly.

Zazzles likes this.
  4. DayPlay3

Gold Member

tumblr_nnl3yfPkje1suxn1zo1_540.gif Go in with the expectation of relaxing and enjoying the sweat. Any thing else is a bonus.

#4 DayPlay3, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Englishman, Zazzles and Mywife4u like this.
  5. ultraviolet1982

Gold Member

Am I been daft or do you get naked trains??

HazHardHat and Zazzles like this.
  6. Throbber

Gold Member

I haven't been to a sauna in years. However my wife and I used to go to one. Most of the time we were the only ones there. I would have on trunks and she would have on her bikini. We would mess around a little if it was only the two of us. Nothing to serious because we didn't want anyone to walk in and see anything. If others were there we'd usually say hi and try to talk a little. It's hard to stay in them for too long though. They are hot and humid but fun.

teamster145 likes this.
  7. BaileyB

Gold Member

If it's at a hotel I'd wear a bathing suit. If it's at a spa just a towel. As for the talking I've just done what the others in the room (if there are any) are doing. If they're quiet I'm quiet

danrb007 likes this.
  8. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

Same here, but usually I try to say something to break the silence such as asking where they're from, how they like the hotel/spa, fun things they're doing on their trip, etc...and so on and so forth.

9. BaileyB

Gold Member

Yeah I'd prefer to be conversational but want to respect everyone else's experience so I appreciate the ice breaker

danrb007 likes this.