What is a fetish?

Discussion in 'Sexual Fetishes and Fantasies' started by whybother, May 7, 2015.

1. whybother

Gold Member

I got to thinking about this since I didn't feel like creampies were a fetish. How do people here define fetish? Here is the dictionary.com definition:

fetish
    [fet-ish, fee-tish] /ˈfɛt ɪʃ, ˈfi tɪʃ/
    Spell Syllables
    noun
    an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
    any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion:
    to make a fetish of high grades.
    Psychology. any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

2. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

That takes some of the fun out of it, but in all seriousness, it (imo) is something you havent tried yet and wish to. Tje same could be said about kink then....

whybother likes this.
  3. whybother

Gold Member

I liked the part about "reverence"

billytk1977 likes this.
  4. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

kinky
    a tendency to like things, sexually or not, that may not apeal to a majority; open to experimentation.

HotForHoney likes this.
  5. whybother

Gold Member

I think this is a better description of what is talked about in the fetish forum.

6. AGFUNK

Gold Member

A real fetish is something that you absolutely need to get off.

7. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

What is a fetish? What is kink?

The questions for the ages.

My counter-question: What does it matter?

No two people will give you the same answer.

Mittimer likes this.
  8. whybother

Gold Member

It matters because some things are healthy experimentation and some are unhealthy obsessions. Some are harmless and some are dangerous to self and others.

9. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Who are we to draw the line of healthy/unhealthy with the majority of sexual fetishes/kinks? It's going to vary from person to person; couple to couple; group to group and depending on the exact fetish.

I think the only time I'd be concerned about somebody else's/my personal fetishism would be if it was causing harm to others.

10. whybother

Gold Member

Well then harming others appears to be a line. So do you mean physical harm? Emotional? Mental?

11. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Again I have to stress that when I speak I'm only speaking for myself - which you seem to bypass when you acknowledge my responses. Any of those forms of harm would be "a line" for me. If you're causing emotional or mental harm to someone that's abuse. Physical harm is dependent on the extent, if it's consensual, and if it's permanent.

Also, I did say "... the line of healthy/unhealthy with the majority of sexual fetishes/kinks? It's going to vary from person to person; couple to couple; group to group and depending on the exact fetish."

12. whybother

Gold Member

I know I'm belaboring here but for all the relativism of your answer you added "consent" to the picture which raises questions about whether it needs to be explicit or implied and what constitutes ability to consent.

13. Mittimer

Gold Member

For the love of all you deem holy, stop over thinking all of this. Consent ALWAYS needs to be EXPLICITLY given. No "implied" ever. EVER. It needs to come from your fingers onto a piece of paper that you sign before a scene or from your lips while you are completely lucid, free from drugs, alcohol or anything that would impair your judgement.

14. whybother

Gold Member

Impaired judgment. There is a concept. In my book, exercising judgment requires thinking. I feel like the 3 year old Constantly asking why. But here goes ... Does emotional instability impair judgement?

15. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

If someone is in an emotionally compromised state (grief, anger, depression, etc) then yes - I would say their judgement is impaired.

And implied consent is (to me) the same as no consent.

If someone knowingly takes advantage of another - especially one whose judgement is impaired - that person should be punished.

Mittimer and CLE32793 like this.
  16. whybother

Gold Member

So getting back to where we left on the "why it matters" tangent. Based on the strong opinions ( I say strong because of the use of bold and caps), consent is very important, so voyeurism, a somewhat common fetish, (ie secret filming) would be "wrong"? "Flashing"? Not to mention Rape and pedophilia. Can we agree that those "matter"?

17. AGFUNK

Gold Member

You've got to be out of your damn mind if you think in any way shape or form that rape, pedophilia or secret filming of someone isn't wrong. They are all completely wrong.

Mittimer and BigTitLover like this.
  18. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I can't speak for others, but my opinion is that voyeurism (that is not staged for erotic movies/pictures) is wrong. The same goes for flashing.

Cognizant consent is a must for any activity of a sexual nature.

And if anyone thinks that rape or pedophilia don't matter they deserve the most severe and anguishing punishment possible. Neither of those is a fetish (to me); those are both crimes of the highest and most heinous degree. I can't believe you'd even have to ask if we are in agreement that those things matter.

HotForHoney, AGFUNK, Mittimer and 2 others like this.
  19. lbushwalker

Gold Member

XL & AGF please read again, ?bother was not condoning rape and pedophilia but asked if you agreed that these are indeed wrong.
    That is the way I read it anyway.
    That dude is a bit of an amateur philosopher and I suspect rather enjoys mental acrobats .

whybother likes this.
  20. Mittimer

Gold Member

Even if he was just asking if we all agreed if it was wrong, who in their right mind would think that rape or child molestation is even remotely acceptable?? It's a completely unnecessary question to even consider asking.

HotForHoney, AGFUNK and whybother like this.