What if we are the intermediate species?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

The pure odds that we are alone in the universe makes it inconceivable that we really are. Once self replicating robotics and either AI or the ability to transfer consciousness into a computer, we can basically become immortal. Once at that state one could send probes to every other star system and wait for other life to be able to notice it and reach the same state. In which case it's our conscious computers that would be a galactic "civilization," not us. o_O

2. igor

Gold Member

I really doubt we are alone in the universe. Beyond that, I won;t speculate.

3. Highwayman

Gold Member

I agree there has to be some other form of life out there. May be not as intelligent. But then who said that that we are the most intelligent form of life?

4. losixxx

losixxx Member

I belive there is a universe beyond another universe, I feel that it is called the after life. Other forms of life out there most definetly in theory its hard to understand what can not be touched or seen. Often like death you just have to accpept aknowledge and go on.

5. CosmicEye

Gold Member

6. mrcock

Gold Member

tell me, why would someone give a fuck about keeping existing forms on existing, if they that can grant that will die instead?

existence is all about selfishness

why most people wanna have kids? because you die, they keep on existing

:lol

by the way, consciousness is impossible outside existence. they say ai is like 99% ready now. to me ai is jus another way to trick yourself. there can't be ai generally. if can, then every atom is existing

#6 mrcock, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

The sheer amount of stars and planets almost demands that there are life on other planets or celestial bodies. When I say life I mean any type of self replicating organism (or system if you want to be as generic as possible) and I'm sure there are an abundance of lifeforms similar to our bacteria or single cell animals.
    It would be awesome to find evidence of extraterrestial cells on a meteorite or something!

However, if we would talk about a spacefaring organism things get more complicated.

There are two major hurdles I can see. The first is the obvious problem with interstellar travel which might simply be unfeasible with the physics we have in our universe.

The other is that technology using species like ours might be incredibly rare or something that won't last very long (in galactic timeframes that is).

8. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

9. mrcock

Gold Member

if we can't travel at least to the nearest star, we're fucked

10. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I would bet that anywhere bacteria live, higher forms of life do too. Natural selection and random mutations are part of what makes life life.

And point of clarification because I'm in this field: real, self aware ai is entirely possible. After all, you are just an unbelievably complex chemistry reaction.

The distance between stars makes it unlikely that mortal life has any chance of really making it on a galactic scale. But what about immortal life? We will pass the technological singularity in 50 years, when that happens, it becomes theoretically possible to transfer your consciousness to an immortal machine. You would essentially be a god.

I was a little... sandwiched up (anyone watch How I Met Your Mother?) and I was just zoning out thinking about space and robotics and genetics.

11. mrcock

Gold Member

look, if you say ai can be a reality, then you should also say, that people are jus the same atoms, like those in stone, but jus with the ambitions

a copy of you is not you, that is why you will never get into a machine

12. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I am MECHAHIPPIE; bow before my might, puny mortals!

13. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

We are all but a chemistry reaction that is so complex that it became self aware o_O deep