What do you take into account when you decide what to eat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sensless, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I eat mostly for pleasure. Sometimes I'm not hungry, but I eat, because I crave something sweet, for instance.

But I'm also conscious about things that could make me gain weight. I try to avoid bingeing on them too often. I'm also making choices based on the recommendation to eat 5 portions of vegetables a day. It helps that I like veggies. I'm not much of a meat eater. I can live without it, though sometimes I do have some. Not every week. I do get proteins (via food, not supplements), but I know I don't eat enough of them.

I'm noticed some members are very conscious about the impact of food on the environment. I'd love to learn more about it from them.

You can also share tips, here. Things you've learned about food and food preparation and that work, or save time. I have a good tip I'll share later.

MrRam65 likes this.
  2. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I'm fussy about the taste and how my food is prepared. So, I taught myself to cook at a young age.

I eat healthy most of the time in a quasi-caveman diet style.

If you can't catch it, pick it or pull it out of the ground don't eat it.

If I stray it isn't sweets, it's pasta and breads and decadent sauces
    :rolleyes:

Good cheese it a weakness too

sensless likes this.
  3. MrRam65

Gold Member

Living alone, I've grown to love making big, one pot dishes to freeze afterward. For instance, I made a big pot of chili several days ago. What I didn't eat then, was frozen in those one serving Tupperware containers. Works great with big pots of soups and stews also.
    Usually, if it's not a meal like that, I'll throw something on the grill or BBQ. So much easier to clean up than cooking inside.
    I rarely fry anything anymore...and that's saying alot for a guy living in the Southern U.S. :p

As far as WHAT I eat, it depends on what I have on hand...usually a variety of meats and game meat and fish I've caught. Also grow tomatoes, peppers, and okra in a backyard garden. And the local farmer's market is a great place for various beans and peas....bought in bulk and put in the freezer.

privatepartner likes this.
  4. Lkmccr

Gold Member

I’m diabetic so that a major factor for me

5. Candela

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Country Boy Can Survive

MrRam65 likes this.
  6. MadamBusty

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    This usually depends on my mood or if I am working. Mood dependent if i'm in a good mood and feel like cooking I will make something healthy like fish with rice and veg. If I am working I usually have something quick like a sandwich before i go then when I get home i heat through some soup or left overs.

7. cook74

Gold Member

I love eating at good Japanese restaurants but I normally let other people decide where we eat. I am often disappointed by dishes in restaurants that I can easily prepare but I keep my criticisms to myself so others can just enjoy their food.
    My favourite food is definitely seafood (I love sashimi!!!) but I am very fussy about what I order and how it is cooked.

8. MrRam65

Gold Member

Don't get me wrong, Country Boy knows the number to the local pizza joint too :p:D