What do you do to keep in shape

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bighiker2003, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

I will go first.
    At one point in my life I liked to hike (hence my name Bighiker)
    and had the best of equipment
    and did it often.
    Then came a ruptured disc in my back and that settled me down
    But last year I discovered biking. Now i do at least 10 miles a day
    I just got back from my night trip of 16 miles
    When winter comes I go to Gym almost every night that
    I don't have to work.

Hiker

2. Hope80

Hope80 New Member

I like to walk everywhere...I refuse to take the bus anywhere...I eat as best I can...which isnt any real feat for me because I am not a picky eater...I love fruit just as much as i love chocolate so the two are very interchangeable...I like to go to the gym and jog on the treadmills....I also love to swim...Every little bit counts, people do not realize how much walking really helps. Well, brisk walking that is.

3. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

I usually stick to the same work out, I do high rep and low weight on the bench and do a lot of reps with curls (I do 20 reps in each hand per set I have gotten up to 50lbs in each hand), next I go to triceps on a machine and flys, next I do a few back exercises, and then I do quite a bit of ab work, and last I do 15 mins of stairs.

I have been doing this with a few other exercise for a few years now, I also always work out in my sweats from my wrestling days, when I do stairs I can wringe water(sweat) out of my under shirt.

But nothing can compare to my old wrestling work outs they were intense, you know you have really worked when you can barely make it to the car to go home, one practice I lost 7lbs in 3 hours, it was just water weight but you can imagine(I also about passed out that practice).

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

Holy crap :eek No wonder you passed out!

Well, I have health problems that preclude working out like a normal person, so I do the best I can. I do quite a bit of walking, on varying terrain (there is one major hill that leaves me breathless and one smaller hill that are part of my normal walking route), and I have resistance bands for building lean muscle mass (they work much better for the upper body, however). But the most important thing I do is watch what I eat. Lots of whole grains, fruits, veggies, and keeping things as low-fat as possible (without obsessing over fat grams); acetyl L-carnitine, biotin, and fish oil supplements help, too.

5. Maddox

Maddox New Member

All I really do is lift weights and do sit ups, but I can be in way better shape than I am in now. I was actually thinking of getting a bike today and riding around...but I'm not sure. It's so goddamn hot here...I eat lots of fruit also, and take daily multivitamins.

I'll probably start walking around the main street here, with my friends. Sexy tourist eye candy for the win!

6. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

I eat a lot and do as little as I can. Round is a shape!!:dgrin

7. p00shy

p00shy New Member

just eat right and keep up the biking. also a bit of weights wouldnt hurt. just live a healthy lifestyle. vegitarians live longer then people who eat alot of meat so throw in a salad or two every so often. good luck!

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Bluesy , you would be suprised at just how healthy inside you can be just from walking briskly 30 mins a day every day..

as for me i dont use weights, or gyms , or spend money to get in shape.
    I jsut work my ass off to get in shape waklking speed walking up hills, press ups different postitions and sit ups to. During the summer i am usualy carting 12 to 16 stair of wood, basiacly around 3 large transit vans full....as we sue a wood fire.
    im always doing heavy lifting, and thats about it . when autum comes we have 50% of the garden that needs plowing ( thats half of 0.75 achers.) i know i slept a few things wrong but at 9:15am with no sleep its not bad going

9. Bluesy

Gold Member

I'm astounded that you've built up such an awesome upper body without the aid of weights or strength training machines! Wowza, man.

10. HardRocker

Gold Member

I'm just naturally trim and good looking.

11. cook74

Gold Member

I don't know if I'm good looking, but I am naturally trim. I haven't done any exercise for over 10 years apart from hard physical labor at work and the odd hike here and there. The metabolism that I have serves me well though esp. in my line of work (I eat some fatty foods).

My Partner has tried really hard to drop her weight for our up and coming wedding, and although she looks great my menu plans for our meals have had to change greatly, and in the last year she has taken up basketball again. (Her team just lost in the finals last season, and they are kicking ass in a higher grade this season)

It just goes to show that some people have to try harder than others when they are trying to get in shape. (BTW I thought she looked great the way she was)

12. Barbwire

Gold Member

Holy crap man! I was just about to write words to that very effect, but stopped when I read your post. Great minds think alike.

13. eandvk

eandvk Member

In my 20s and early to mid 30s,I played volleyball for a living....to better my strength I started lifting weights in my 20s and still workout 6 days a week....although I no longer play volleyball competitively,to stay in pretty good shape I play tennis 2-3 times a week and ride a stationary bike for about 20 mins. 4 times a week. My workouts include pecs. biceps, shoulders, back, abs, legs with never working out the same muscle group 2 days in a row...and Sundays I do nothing but pig out. For 42 Ive lost some jumping ability, but cant be upset there, but with the weights, my speed and quickness hasnt been affected much.
    I also eat pretty well...lots of fruit n veg, plenty of protein and fish, but I do have a sweet tooth.....thats what sundays are for....my day to indulge!!

14. Pride

Pride New Member

I lift weights. And do a lot of push ups.

But mostly i play a lot of basketball and other sports. Mostly just basketball now since i cant join any teams now that im out of school :(.

But im naturally skinny with a VERY fast metabolism. So i just have to keep in shape as far as weights and endurance. Not so much "thin"

15. heelfetish

Gold Member

I'm just coming out of my 'round' stage. So far I've done very little strength training, although I'm about to start. :) I try to eat healthy, and am conscience of portion sizes. The nutrition labels are a big help, and I pay particular attention to fat & sodium content. I'm not big on fruit, but I eat what I can. Mostly though I have been running and biking. That, coupled with a healthier diet has resulted in me losing 40 lbs of fat. I'm leaner, stronger, and have better stamina than I've had in 10 years. It has been a lifestyle change more than anything, and I am continuing on my journey, not so much to lose weight (I'm at my goal already), but to be healthier overall.

I lost my Dad way too young, I don't want my son to have to suffer the same loss. :(

16. Barbwire

Gold Member

:bow:bowYou rock, man!:bow:bow

17. heelfetish

Gold Member

Thanks CL! *hugs*

Now I just need to tone up my upper body. My legs are doing great from the running, and although my belly is all but completely gone, I need to firm up a bit. :)

Sad part is that I actually have stretch marks. *cries*

18. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Heeley said
    You are on the right track, Wish I could limit my portion size as you do
    but i work hard and eat big. 200lbs at 6' so I have it under control
    I eat no fat and do like fruit. And eat a ton of veggies and that plus I rarely eat out.

I rode the bike 17 miles yesterday and did 12 today, College is starting here
    and that is my signal to start gym as I do the fall and spring semester
    then skip the summer.

Hiker

19. dressd2dpress

dressd2dpress New Member

The only thing I keep in shape are my extrinsic hand muscles. Playing death metal songs on bass makes them puppies bulge like you're on steroids. As for the rest of me, I'm blessed with a high metabolism, for the time being anyway.

20. Maddox

Maddox New Member

Could someone please give me advice? I have a "wierd" body type, I'm a slim, tall person, but my stomach isn't that slim, I've got a little bit of a gut and my chest isn't tense/chiseled

So I was wondering if there was any quick way to excersize the midsection? I'm starting a diving course and there's some real hotties there, I want to look as good as possible!

I'd like to make my forearms bigger, too....any help appreciated!