What color for master suite?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

We are having our attic made into a master suite with a 22' 6" x 16" bedroom, 3 closets and office and a small bath. The wood floors and trim will be light oak in color.

I am looking for ideas on what color to paint the bedroom area. Right now, our bedroom is a very dark and passionate purple with a light grey carpet. I love the look, but am tired of it. I want something totally different. Something light, yet romantic. Any ideas?

2. LA_20

LA_20 New Member

crimson
    hunter green
    olive
    french white

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Take it from the experts :lol

Warm, relaxing, even sensual:

Walls: Benjamin Moore Shelbourne Buff
    Trim: Sherwin Williams' Navaho White

Then, use golds, blacks and a subtle splash of red for your decor.
    --------------------------------------

If you're looking for something a bit 'brighter' - more 'open', then try:
    Walls: Sherwin Williams' 'Ivoire'
    Trim: Sh. Will. Navaho White

Decor should include autumn palette - - deep oranges or earthy greens, with splashes of black/gold.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

I think periwinkle is romantic, but in a different Jane Austen kind of way

Or maybe I'm just really weird....

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

Rose, I really like Sherwin Williams paints, but am not sure I want to go with light colors. The bedroom is really long, over 22 feet, and I think a light color might make it seem like a warehouse. Also, we would like to keep the trim the nature oak color with a clear stain.

Another question I have, before I choose a color for the walls is...what do I call "ceiling" and what do I call "wall"?

Do I just call the top flat part the ceiling or do I include the sloped sides?

[​IMG]

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

With a light oak floor /trim get it stained a really nice light hue and then use Hunter green walls and a light color ceiling.

My dad and I did his study that way and it has a really nice, kinda natural/earthy/warm feel to the room.

YOU might even look at putting some shelves in with the same color as your floor/trim so the green doesn't get overpowering.

7. Bluesy

Gold Member

It should definitely be warm, relaxing and sensual...*nods vigorously*. If the room is long and somewhat narrow (perhaps the perspective is off, but that's the impression I've gathered from the photo), I don't think you'd want to use a very dark color for the walls. Something in the mid-range of shades, I think. Personally, I would avoid pastels, or anything too floral, in the bedroom; I don't think anything too girly is conducive to romance, and the same goes for masculine colors (like navy or hunter green) and textures (e.g., plaid). Personally, I like to see either a combo of gold hues, creams, white, and black, with lots of satiny textures, or rich jewel-tone colors with lots of satiny textures. Also, the style and color of your bedroom furniture should be taken into consideration when deciding on a color scheme.

The sloped sides are throwing me off a bit...it's an unusual, but very attractive, look for a bedroom. A decorator would know best how to handle it, I think. If I were you, I'd spend some time poring over past issues of Better Homes & Gardens to see how others have decorated similar rooms.

I can't wait to see the finished product :)

8. Thorn

Gold Member

The slanted panels could go with walls or ceiling. Usually they are considered ceiling and painted with the ceiling. With a wall color that is kind of dark I think I'd only put wall color on the vertical panels and ceiling (white?) on the flat and slopped panels. But it wouldn't be wrong either way, IMO.

And if this is a ploy to get me to paint the room when Rose and I visit you guys in March it ain't gonna work baby! :yell

#8 Thorn, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  9. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I respectfully disagree with the above poster.

Since the flat ceiling is rather wide (it appears to be about 8' - 10' wide ? ), then you have a large enough flat surface to make it proportionately a 'ceiling' area. The slanted side walls are angled at a rate that still gives them a vertical appearance, so I would definitely consider them 'wall surface', & paint them the wall color.
    WARNING: Make sure you have a really good drywall finisher, as those angled walls are hard to paint a straight line between ceiling and wall if there are 'waves' where they meet.

10. cook74

Gold Member

How about a mural depicting the different legends of Native Americans on the walls, and a stretched milky way on the roof (With a couple of shooting stars thrown in) :p

11. Barbwire

Gold Member

Here is another picture taken from the opposite wall of the first one I posted. Gives you a better idea of how long the room is in relation to its width.

[​IMG]

I want to thank everyone for their ideas so far. (especially Cook) Keep them coming. Oh, and Thorn, I wasn't trying to get you and Rose to paint the bedroom, but perhaps you can help my hubby and I break it in. (wink, wink)

#11 Barbwire, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007