What can I expect from a sex therapy session?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by vintagewhine, Jul 3, 2007.

1. vintagewhine

vintagewhine New Member

We're contemplating therapy - but I don't know how I'm going to get past having felt rejected for months now. I'm a newlywed and my husband has been taking antidepressants for over a year now and since then our sex life is nonexistent. It's depressing because he has never had this problem before, and I feel absolutely rejected. I cannot get past feeling like he thinks less of me than women he dated before because he doesn't want to have sex.

I have NOT gained weight, let myself go, or become "unsexy" in any way whatsoever, in fact, I just finished two modeling jobs - one for a local fitness club and another for a tattoo parlor. And I'm working on an MBA and managing a successful team at work. I'm annoyed and frustrated that I think I'm a pretty decent catch and I'm MARRIED and not having sex.

Everything else is the relationship is pretty close to perfect - he is loving and supporting in every way, just not interested in sex. I feel rejected and honestly don't even know if I'm CAPABLE of benefitting from therapy. Please tell me I'm wrong and that it WILL be successful if I want it to be.

I DO want it to be. But I don't know if it can.

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Anti-depressants can cause a serious drop in libido. I'm sure one of the first things your therapy sessions will work on is not blaming anyone (or feeling the blame).

No marriage is without some serious mountains to climb. Working through problems is part of a good marriage. It strengthens and deepens your relationship.

If both of you are in agreement about therapy, then you're over one of the biggest hurdles in the problem. Definitely go for it, and I wish you great success!

3. JS1980

JS1980 New Member

Anti depressants will almost always turn a sex drive into nothing. I didn't have a sex drive or sex life until I got off of them and went on St. John's Wort. It took me about about 3 months to have a healthy and frequent sex life.
    I don't know the situation and I'm not a doctor, but there are alternatives to anti depressants that will not affect sex drive.

4. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Rose should be a therapist. Smart woman!

But it's probably his antidepressant meds. He should tell his doctor about the libido problem and maybe try different meds.

Being in love doesn't necessarily mean wanting sex. Our libidos are driven by chemicals, and if that chemical balance gets upset, there goes the desire for sex. The important thing is that he acknowledges the problem and is willing to seek help to fix it. Good luck!

5. vintagewhine

vintagewhine New Member

Well, we haven't started our sessions but already I feel hopeful based on a few changes the doc suggested. :) The fiance and I had been having sleep problems for a long time, and we take the highest recommended dosage of Tylenol PM, Benedryl, etc., and it turns out the Diphenhydramine over long-term use in doses that we've been taking affect your sex drive and just physical tiredness. I talked to my old doc about sleeping issues with my Adderal but he shrugged it off and said to take Tylenol PM. My fiance and I started Ambien over the weekend and we feel GREAT! I can't believe the difference a REAL night's sleep makes. We've also set up a plan to be more in contact with each other for the next month. I hope it's not too soon to say but I'm feeling really good about how our therapy is going to go. :)

6. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Sounds like your both are working at the problem, and that's a good sign. Definitely continue with your therapy session idea, as well. A young couple can glean invaluable lessons from people who are trained to help your relationship blossom and become stronger. good luck!

7. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Joe said
    I always thought She was Joe!!!

Hiker