What are your window habits?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by sandwich, Jul 17, 2014.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

First off....please know this is not a criticism of those who love closed windows and/or air conditioning. This is just something I've been wondering about recently, especially after my ride home from work yesterday and also on the way home so many weeks ago. Both times I noticed window habits because the traffic was super slow. One day it was 80 degrees and sunny. The other was 75 degrees or so. Both days were low in humidity.

It seems that in the vast majority of instances, the windows down people were men (and me). Every once in a while I would pass a woman with her window partially down, and I saw only woman with her window all the way down (this was the only open window in her car).

Quite a lot of men had both front windows down, and some had all their windows down. I usually have all of mine down.

I doubt the women are too cold to have their windows down because when I am a passenger in a female friend's car during these conditions she usually has her air conditioning on.

So do men just like to be blown? LOL

Do women not like the feel of the wind? Is it a not wanting to get the hair messed up issue? Do you enjoy your music more without the wind noise? As one who can't live her life without all sorts of breezes, I would like to know why I am in the minority. I know this is a silly topic, but I was seriously wondering about this.

2. teamster145

Gold Member

My windows are rarely down. I am an air or heat kind of guy. I do like to be blown, however, I still like to be in control.

3. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

I drive a two door car, with manual windows. The driver's side window is almost always rolled down. I can't physically roll down the passenger window while driving, I'm not tall enough. I'd typically prefer air conditioning, as it controls humidity levels and I'm terribly sensitive to high humidity, but the AC in my car doesn't work. (High humidity makes me downright miserable.)

I also usually have my window cracked in the winter, because while I use the heat to keep myself from freezing, I do like cold breezes. (I'm also guilty of cracking a window in the bedroom while I sleep, even when the heat's on.)

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

I live in Florida with like a thousand percent humidity and rain every single day for the last month.

When it's not raining I absolutely love the windows down. I love feeling the wind on me. Cool air coming in as I'm going 70 down the turnpike.. love it.

If I'm in slow traffic though, Windows up and ac on.

5. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I live in a high desert region - so it's dry, hot, and rarely much wind/humidity. I drive with the windows down, the music just below the legal limit (before it becomes "noise pollution" or blows out my ear drums), and probably a bit more towards the fast side than is quite legally acceptable. I don't believe in AC (other than in my house - which turns into a sauna if I don't run it). In every vehicle I've been in or driven I've noticed that it kills gas mileage and power and every AC unit I've ever encountered has a funky smell either during or after running it...

Windows While Driving = Down (until winter... and even then, they're usually down, too.)

6. 12barblues

Gold Member

I would loooove to roll mine down...My power windows went out sat. And my A/C hasn't worked in a year. It was 108 here the other day...I was cooking in there...

7. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

It has been my experience that men usually roll the windows down. Men that don't usually have a woman riding with him. Most women who roll down the windows, only do so slightly. The reason for this??? They don't want to mess up their hair...

xx

8. BlueCollar

Gold Member

I roll mine down. In summer all windows down. In winter I'll crack the front windows and turn the heat up some. I like the fresh air. Even if it's cold enough to freeze my ass off

sandwich and 10_3XL like this.
  9. oldkid

Depends on the situation. With an exhaust hose running into the trunk, I keep 'em all up. It's the only thing I can still get up. In the heat of the summer in Texas, I keep 'em down, drive faster. In the heat of the winter in Texas, I keep 'em up so I sweat enough to obviate the need for a shower. Doggystyle.gif

10. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

This guy gets it. :D

BlueCollar likes this.
  11. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

I keep them all down. I like fresh air and I don't like the reduced gas mileage and wear on the motor. Woman I know want the windows up mainly because of their hair and the effects of the wind on it

12. Lizzie73

Verified Gold Member

I drive a Jeep and love to have all the windows down, the radio up and just drive. But I used to not do this when I was younger--all bc of the hair, haha. Now, I don't mind the wind-blown look and just go with it....

travis beck and Doitagain like this.
  13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Always drive with windows down unless needing to listen to the radio. We drive long distances here and the wind and tyre noises can be very loud. Around town always windows open even when 40 degrees C.
    Bedroom some fresh air a must.
    Only time they are closed is when we have sand storms.
    Prefer ceiling fans to AC and far cheaper to run :)

14. NedF

Verified Gold Member

Windows up, A/C or heat on... My car is well insulated for noise so I like the relative tranquility.

15. sandwich

Gold Member

Yes, this is exactly how I am.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that at least for some it's a hair thing. I totally understand if a woman does not want her hair to get messed up. My hair has a tousled look to begin with, so a breeze doesn't make much of a difference most of the time. On a few occasions where I needed to be 'presentable' for a meeting and ended up looking a little too wild, I just finger combed it and put it up. I have three different styles I can do in a flash without the use of a mirror.

I also think we have varying temperature and humidity sensitivities. I never thought of Ned's tranquility reasons. That makes sense too. I love how people are different. Life would be dull otherwise. My type of peaceful relaxation involves lots of wind and relatively loud music...don't forget the seat dancing and air guitar!

#15 sandwich, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  16. cbrmale

Gold Member

Always windows up in my car becaue the noise is irritating and windows down hurts aerodynamics. Also it makes the climate control go crazy. My car has a glass roof (it's a new model) so I may tilt the sunroof (which is absolutely massive) around town in nice weather, and open it right out at lower speeds. Generally if I want lots of fresh air and noise I will use my motorcycle, and I always ride with earplugs.

In Canberra it's too cold to have windows open in your house in winter, but I do keep the bedroom window part open in summer and use a ceiling fan. We also have airconditioning in the living areas because summer here is long and hot with low humidity.

17. pool_shark

pool_shark Active Member

I usually have the roof open unless the sun is directly in my face, then I just vent the roof.

I also usually crack one window when the roof is open.

18. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

It's dangerous for me to have the windows down in my private jet or on my dirigible... cold air and little oxygen at such altitudes, ya know.
    Screenshot 2014-07-19 at 04.27.16.png

19. EmmaB

EmmaB Member

Guys definitely love being blown!

My windows are always up with the A/C going, don't want my hair getting all messed up.