Went To A Gym Today/Hell On Earth

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

My roommates took me to a "Wellness Center" which the name in itself gave me teh creeps cause that was the self-applied description of an asylum in my novel (not a good place to be).

It had a gym, pool, steam rooms that sorta thing. But going to the gym (i didn't have any trunks for the pool plus i don't like showing off my calves in public) reminded me why i fucking hated weight lifting class when i was 16. It's exhausting in a very short time (a minute on a treadmill) and now leads to pain when ever i inhaled for a short while afterwards. So in essence i've learned that being active within the gym is hell on earth. So i guess if anyone knows, how often do i have to go to a gym and suffer before my body adjusts and goes from hell on earth to just plain unpleasant/tolerable?

#1 Kermit, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

*never goes to any gym and is reminded by Kermit why that is*

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

My god man, just how bad of shape are you in. I don't care for the treadmill but I do 30 to 40 min on the bike at a good clip. Wife does an hour at time on the treadmill at a 5.2mph walk. I rep 200lbs because that's all of the weights I've got right now....you should be able to bench your own weight. I wear shorts almost all year round, with all of the cycling, women love my legs. My kids prefer the eliptical to the treadmill or bike and they lift, along with some yoga for flexabilty...goalies ya know.

4. Northside

Gold Member

You have to stick with it. After awhile you' will be addicted to the rush that good excersize gives you. I go 5 miles everyday and workout my upper body 3 or 4 times a week. You will actually crave it after a while. The benefit is more than knowing you are doing things to keep yourself healthy. You will enjoy having the increased strength and stamina in your daily life.

5. ivanitchybum

ivanitchybum New Member

I'd say the gym isn't what you need right now. A change of lifestyle and diet would be a start. Try regularly walking, increasing the distance each day. As fitness improves, think about cycling too, or more intense walking such as country hikes and hill walking. As weight comes off, stamina increases and fitness improves, then think about the gym to start honing muscle tone and going for real fitness. Until then, you'd be throwing money away when dedication is all you need.

You must be a lousy fuck too :D

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

I have to agree with Northside, but don't overdo it at first. You will get into it. We have a home gym so we don't have to go anywhere, plus my wife works out at 4am so it's easier, and with the kids working out for hockey and lacrosse...just a lot easier. We live an active lifestyle, on our vacation in Oct, we cycled a bit over 100 miles, walked 6 miles one evening, and did some boogie boarding...along with lots of sex. With the way hockey season is going, doesn't look like we'll get to ski unless we can hit Colorado in April...but lacrosse is kicking into full swing, damn kids LOL.

7. Lifter

Lifter New Member

Stay with it, the pain will go away fairly quickly.
    Start off slow and build up, it will happen, don't get discouraged.
    I don't go to the gym, but have my own workout room in the garage.
    I swim during the summer, bicycle (real bike, not stationary bike, that boring as hell).
    Primarily I lift weights during the winter and that's the reason I have my own setup because I push my limit pretty regularly (like the challenge aspect).
    When you do that, you can't have any distractions, (TV, radio, women, etc).
    If you are not concentrating pushing your limit, that's when you hurt yourself.
    The reason I workout is to keep my weight down, my wife does it too.
    She swims 4 to 6 miles a day during the summer, she can out swim me.
    We both basically don't have too much will power when it comes to dieting and just burn it off with working out.

8. Kermit

Gold Member

Bite me

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hey, he was smiling when he said that! :eyes

10. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Kermit, your body will adjust to it quickly. Within two weeks of regular workout. Stretch after you work out, that will help alleviate tight muscles the following morning. A massage / hot tub after once in a while help too.

11. Northside

Gold Member

Nah man, don't make excuses for this guy with 10 posts coming in and insulting Kermit. If it was a joke, it was a bad one. Kermit is going through a hard time right now and doesn't need anybody giving him shit. This new guy needs to show a little respect if he wants to hang around here. He needs to apologize, then maybe we'll think it was just a bad joke. I notice in Ivan's profile that he "hasn't made any friends yet." I doubt if he will with that kind of attitude. I also notice that he describes himself as having a few extra pounds. Just the profile of a guy to recommend how to approach your gym routine. God knows I've said things I shouldn't have, but I'll apologize if I think I was out of line.

Sorry HR but that guy's comment was out of line and Kermit showed great restraint just saying "Bite me." Can you imagine what I would have said in Kermit's place and I'm not going through a bad break up?

#11 Northside, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  12. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

My suggestion to Kermit is to persevere with that rotten treadmill but at a slower speed and less of an inclination. I think it's too tempting to jump in at the deep end and burn out too soon. I was exercising at a hospital gym for a while and if the oldies can cope, anyone can. (I left because I felt too fit and healthy among them and joined a regular gym but stopped going because I feel out of place there too.)

When I first bought my elliptical trainer, I collapsed on the couch after one minute on the lowest setting. Now, I'm happy to go 45 minutes or more on the 3rd or 4th setting.

You will get there but you need persistance.

13. backcheck64

Gold Member

Good for you Dragon. People see some fit people going to town and don't realize it takes a while to get there. The sex "Joke" was in poor taste and Kermit was right in saying "bite me".....

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

Okay, y'all are right, the guy hasn't been here long enough to earn his smartass license. Sorry Kerm.

15. Kermit

Gold Member

It's all good. Although it was totally out-of-line and i was offended and insulted, I forgive him. I've been guilty of such comments in the past, and regreted them as i got more socially aware. I let him know his comment was not appreciated and i was not amused if it was a joke. So as far as i'm concerened, we're even :)

He may not have know about my issues (who knows this may be his first time outside of the fucking photos section lol).

It kinda hit home one of the issues I had with my wife, her blaming me for her sexual behavior at work (oral sex, allowing one to feel her all over and smack her ass, fondling four of them down below) and her inviting guys over for sex that wasn't gonna be a threesome and with no regard to my feelings if she even bothered to inform me. Defended her actions by saying i was lousy in bed (i did the best i could to please her, but her having 200 sex partners in her lifetime theres plenty to compare me against) and would be an asshole to object to this behavior. So otherwise I would have shrugged it off with more humor than i did in my reply if it wasn't for that. Thanks for sticking up for me guys and not bashing me for my less-than-nice response to his "joke."

#15 Kermit, Dec 12, 2011
  16. backcheck64

Gold Member

Damn, makes me look like a piker at 47.

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

Here Kermit, I'll gross you out with my wife. The killer Mt bike she's holding is mine.

If you do get into cycling, don't go to Walley World, go to a real bike shop and get fitted. And I use my bike on a trainer in the winter, much better than a stationary bike.

Attached Files:

18. Kermit

Gold Member

Lol it's nice to finally see your wife. you mention her so often! i bet she's flattered :) and from teh sounds of it you worship her. Can't hate on that lol

I've thought about getting a bike one day, though as long as it's comfortable, bikes are bikes to me, everything else is superficial difference but what do i know lol

#18 Kermit, Dec 12, 2011
  19. Kermit

Gold Member

Well only 3 here lol, i can name them all and what they stole from me lol

20. Maverick

Maverick Member

ya'll are pussies. Try doing my workout, then talk. Until then, SUCK!!!! A!!!!! FUCKING!!!! DICK!!!!