welding business

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by coldsteel86, Feb 13, 2014.

1. coldsteel86

coldsteel86 Member

I work full time for an employer but I have my own sole proprietorship business. I have had it since 2006 and made money with it mostly when I am out of work due to layoffs but this year 2014 I want to really turn things around with it.
    I want to lean towards working for myself full time versus someone else. Frankly I am just sick and tired of how employers treat their employees and I am tired of making somebody else a ton of money. Hence the saying I make a dime while the man makes a dollar.

Does anyone have any ideas they could share with how I could find more work to do???
    I advertise on the web and in a local newspaper.

It's a welding business that I own I have a shop and I do mobile welding.

Thanks!

2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

I reckon you have all the necessary assets now you need to market your business but because there are probably a zillion others like it so you got to find a niche market and above all to be noticed so you need to be different to the rest. Have a motto and/or which describes yourself such as;
    You need it strong?
    I'm the Man of Steel!
    Then have a stylised logo of a man made of steel and plaster it on your shop, truck, car in your adverts, on your webpage.
    Also get some business cards circulating particularly in places where your potential clients congregate such as hardware shops.
    You got to think outside the square, be honest and always give your client a little more than they expect that way next time they need something or someone they know does, he/she will immediately think of you.
    Good luck!

3. Mikey22

Gold Member

Keep doing what your doing,Stay positive. Do good work and the word will get around. It takes guts and hard work to have your own business,You will be better off in the long run. Good luck to you!

4. almostthere

Gold Member

Great advice from both above. As a business owner I can tell you that building a reputation takes time and once you have you must do what ever to maintain it. Don't give your client 100% ,give 1000%. Always aim for being the best and treat your clients well and success will follow.
    My business is very competitive but I have built a rep of being the best. It took years to get where I am and I never take it for granted. I still work as if I'm just starting out. I'm always keeping an eye on my competition. A Lil paranoia in business is a good thing. And when you are on top don't get cocky