Wedding reception loves and hates....?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emt, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Emt

Emt New Member

What things involved with wedding receptions do you love...what do you hate?

I'll go first...

Honestly, I HATE dollar dances!!...nuff said.

I also hate cheesy games like pass the spoon to see who gets to take the fuckin centerpiece home. The taking of the centerpiece should be by the "ballsiest" person at the table who has the balls to ask for/take it in the first place, not because they won a game of hot potato with a spoon.

I love open bars throughout MOST of the evening. I say "MOST" because cutting off when it's time for everyone to get to their seat is usually neccessary otherwise it's a constant line at the bar. But there's nothing worse than cutting off people from drinking at a celebration. Ever been to a wedding with NO alcohol...I have recently...holy crap!!! It's like everyone has a board up their ass and they dance like zombies!

Well that's a start...

Share your thoughts!!:)

Thanks!

-Emt

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

HaHa - LMAO - my middle daughter did not want a bar at her wedding, so me and Thorn had our own stash in our hotel room(at the same hotel), so we would "excuse ourselves from time to time.....

We had a good time..... :lol

3. Emt

Emt New Member

Mmmhmmm...See Rose knows what I'm talking about ;)

I'm taking it the lack of replies means everyone else is not really in favor of alcohol at weddings?!?!:ugh

-Emt

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Oh no ... at a friend's wedding, he's younger than I am ... (wtf right?) I dug into the adult cooler and was walking around the reception at the beech house with a Killian's .... ahhh good times.

I hate long weddings where people sing stupid ass Christian love songs and the minister preaches at me about morality .... been to enough of those to make me sick.

Other dislikes:
    Tequila at a wedding .... long story.
    People that are assholes to the videographers
    People that are assholes to the caterers
    Prissy ass bridesmaids

I swear I'm wearing solid black to the next wedding I go to.

5. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Being a wedding photographer, I've probably been to more receptions than anyone here (a few hundred in the past decade). Receptions with no alcohol are usually boring, but with too much free alcohol they can get out of hand. Outside the reception door at my daughter's wedding I found one of my son's best friends lying in the grass vomiting, crying and mumbling about "loving her" and "losing her".

The worst was probably the one where the bride got angry, left in the middle of the reception and walked home in the rain. Wedding was annulled the following week.

In general, the best receptions are the ones that have a good DJ, and the worst are the ones with no DJ.

I like dollar dances. It gives scores of people, including kids, a chance for a short dance with the bride and groom. They usually only last for a couple songs, so why not?

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Krof and I are going to a wedding in a couple of weeks. His younger brother is wearing a solid black suit, which I guess is acceptable here in Sweden. It took me forever to find a nice wedding-appropriate frock because they were totally out of season, but I finally did find something very feminine and 'wedding.' About a month after the wedding we're flying to LA for my mom's wedding. She's getting married for the third time. You know what they say? Third time's the charm, right? I haven't actually been to a wedding in about thirteen years and this year I'm going to two of 'em. That's pretty much why I haven't had anything to say about this. (Lack of experience)

One thing I do find annoying at wedding receptions is the family drama (unavoidable) and adults who refuse or who are too drunk to keep an eye on their little kids. I watched my soon-to-be-step sister's wedding video, and during the speeches the bride's three-year-old niece kept running into her bodily, and giggling, and saying "pick me up Aunti Lexa" and the guests are all wondering where the hell her mother was. :eyes And this was all lovingly captured on video.

7. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Krof is actually willing to go to weddings?! Whoa! I'm impressed, ha, ha! ;> Seriously, hope you two have a safe trip! Best wishes to your mother!

8. HerHubby

Gold Member

In response to the topic of the thread above, in our home area, wedding receptions have always tended to be short and inexpensive. However, when my wife and announced our engagement, we were shocked when our families and friends started inundating us with suggestions and pressuring us to do this and that, etc. We just finally said "ENOUGH", planned for and had a comparatively inexpensive church wedding and reception in the church fellowship hall. The wedding only took about 20 minutes or so and the reception was only about 30 minutes (cake, nonalcoholic punch, cookies and nuts - the edible kind, not referring to our relatives, ha, ha). Since then, over the years, when I have seen what some of the "bridezillas" do, I am astounded! Of course, it's all up to them for their special day, however, if it was up to me, I'd suggest saving the money for needed things for that important first year of marriage or having a really special honeymoon.

By the way, several months after we were married, my wife and I got a visit from my wife's sister (my sister in law) one day. She sat down with us and complained bitterly about how we embarrassed her, the older sister, by getting married before she did! She then told us that she was engaged to a guy (she barely knew him) and that she had pretty much done that just to "save face". They went on to suddenly elope and did not try to have much of a wedding. Apparently they had some problems early on in their marriage but now seem to have worked out their problems. My sister in law seems friendly to us now but, back then, she was outraged that we had gotten married before her! Never has said anything about it since then. Never have been sure what was up with that, but I was flabbergasted when it happened.

Well, anyway, what couples do is up to them, however, in my humble opinion, simple and sweet is best. One of my uncles, who had been to many weddings in his time, said that the wedding of my beloved wife and me was probably the best, sweetest wedding he had ever seen. Also, I think that everyone there must have bought up all the rice from the grocery stores in our area because we were COVERED with rice and had rice in our car and rice in everything - they even stuffed our hubcaps on our tires with rice!!! I hear that people use birdseed nowadays, ha, ha.

9. bluenavigator

bluenavigator New Member

Yeah, rice isn't good for these birds. It actually can kill them! Rice expanded inside their stomaches, which isn't good for any bird. Image bird ate 100~300 rice, then they expand 2 to 3 times its size, their stomaches can't take that kind of expansion at all. It hurts like hell and enough to kill them.

My dad is going to get married in Dec for third time. He had asked me to be his best man, which surprised me big time because we didn't talk that much. Go figure... I hadn't write the speech yet! Ugh! Not easy task! Anyway, I am actually hoping that it would be short and sweet ceremony because I hate weddings because most of time, it was freaking boring because there is nothing in for me! LOL Oh my bad! Dollar dances is alrite... why not Dollar Lickings and Dollar Blowings? That way, nobody wouldn't miss anything! Oh my bad!

Use birdseeds and it is good for ecosystem at their locations!

10. HerHubby

Gold Member

Sheeze! I hope that the rice we got pounded with didn't hurt any birds! Congratulations to your Dad! You do great posts here so I am sure that you will write a good speech! Just pretend you are addressing the SF crowd! Or, then again, maybe NOT,ha ha! By the way, I saw where Puss in Boots Mom is getting married again for the third time. Again, congratulations to your Dad!

11. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

my bf is a DJ so I've been to a few dozen weddings in the last couple years.

I like the dollar dance...like someone said above, it gives everyone a chance to dance with the bride...when the line is 50 people long (and sometimes it is) they wouldn't have gotten that chance other wise....plus watching the bride's brother dance with the groom is priceless

HATE the song Butterfly Kisses....way way way over played for father daughter dances

also HATE the drunk guy who insists on coming up on stage to 'help' the DJ....sry buddy, I've got it covered and we really don't want you throwing up on our thousands of dollars of electronics

12. BabyReadThat

BabyReadThat New Member

I hate the "default" songs I guess the DJ always plays (Macarena, Chicken Dance, Electric Slide).

I love the Dad/Daughter dance. Always gets a tear out of me. :eek:

13. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Hell, I love the Macarena and Chicken Dance. Everyone participates and has fun. Father-daughter dances can be very touching. I always look for watery eyes and try to catch a picture of them when the light hits them just right. The bride never buys a picture of her crying, and Dad never buys a picture of himself crying, but I think they're important for a wedding album. I like to show emotions in wedding photography, whether it's tears, laughter or love.