Wedding Help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Oriana, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Oriana

Oriana New Member

My fiance and I are planning a medieval wedding. I found the dress I want, it's just a matter of getting the money together and buying it. We just don't know what to do about a cake and the food. We've been researching forever, but everything we find contradicts itself. One site will say that a lot of vegetables weren't eaten and then another would say that ALL SORTS of vegetables were eaten. I'm looking for any help possible with this. Can anyone help me?

2. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Well, when I have read about the history of the middle ages, that is, the medieval period, I have read that they ate a LOT of meat, porrige and stuff like that. I don't think that they were too big on veggies except, perhaps, during the winter if they couldn't get meat and had to eat potatos, grains and stuff that they had stored away during the summer for use in winter. Maybe you could have a bull roast or roast a whole hog or both and have maybe some potatos and corn on the cob and so forth with it. I'd give everybody finger bowls of water, to clean their fingers with, and tell 'em to eat with their fingers which is what they did a lot back then. Pewter plates would probably be a nice touch. Have some dogs laying around to toss bones and tidbits of meat to them. Lotta ale and wine, of course. The wine could be in bottles and the ale could be in a big vat which everyone would scoop out with tankards. You could all burp and fart a lot which some did to show their enjoyment. Maybe you could have a plate piled up with carrots, some sort of lettuce and radishes, etc. Maybe some apples cut up. Maybe some cheese, unsliced, sitting there which people can hack off chunks from. Tell everybody they have to bring their own knives and suggest hunting knifes or small swords to cut the meat and other stuff with. Tell everybody table manners are out the door, just dig in and hack off chunks of food to eat and grab stuff with your fingers! Makes me hungry just thinking about it!

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Vegetables were eaten but they were usually boiled until they turned to mush and all the flavor was gone. If you want some good ideas for Medieval meals, read Jude Deveraux's novel, Knight in Shining Armor. All her historical fiction novels are very well researched and that book in particular has lots of descriptions of meals. And it's in general a great book. A Medieval wedding sounds like fun. Good luck!

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Puss ... I still love your sig.... and a medieval wedding ... I just hope you aren't wearing a 100+ lbs. suit of platemail...

A1

:drunk:

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

No....really? :lol

6. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I'm not much of an expert on medieval times, but in movies I've seen, I remember things like a whole pork being roast on a turning spit.... Full birds (turkey, etc). Perhaps serving cornish hen at each plate. And I like the idea of having beer from a wooden keg..... Don't know where you would get one - perhaps get a regular keg, but have it 'enshrined' in a wooden-type covering for atmosphere. And the wine could be in several ceramic pouring apparati (is that the proper plural for "apparatus" :shrug ).

7. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I used to think it was but actually it's apparatuses. Even though it sounds just weird to me.

8. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Thank you, oh great literary genius! :lol

9. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Jesus christ ... I don't even remember typing that ... :lol

10. Oriana

Oriana New Member

Thanks everyone and no, I'm not wearing platemail. I'm wearing a dress that looks between pesant and royal because the storyline is I'm a pesant marrying into the royal family even though it's forbiden, so we are doing a handfasting inwhich case would be done.

11. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I photographed a medieval wedding a few years ago. I don't remember the food, but if you'd like a picture of the garb, pm me your email addy and I'll send one. (Sorry, can't post the pictures here.)

It was a fun theme. Even the priest dressed the part in a brown robe.

12. rene48

rene48 New Member

Perhaps you may know in some cities, there are large restaurants called "Medieval Times". If not, look on your computer and locate a place in Dallas Texas called just that, Medieval Times. It's a large arena as well where 2 men ride horseback and do the "knocking the other one off, etc..." sorry don't know the title of that. ANY WAY, they can tell you the menu they use and also, no utensils are used, naturally, you feed yourself with yoru hands. You may not want that but I do know, meat is served, do not know about the veggies, etc..... it's listed but not sure about a web sight at all, just a long shot. They will help you with your planning that way. They have been in business for over 20 years, well established. It's on Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, Texas. Good luck!!!

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

FYI: Jousting.

14. slicky

slicky New Member

that sounds like fun - medieval