Verizon DSL sucks!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

Comcast cable is da boss!

2. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Yes it does! I prefer RoadRunner! (Time-Warner Cable)

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

No it's not. It's horrible. :(

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

[​IMG]
    I'd like to rant here, if I may...

Our recently acquired Verizon DSL internet was moving at a snails pace. My father-in-law's dial-up service was way faster than what we were experiencing. If a page had any amount of graphics, it simply wouldn't fully load.

I spent a whole hour on the phone with a Verizon "support technician". Long story short, he finally came to the professional conclusion (professional used loosely) that we had too many processes running (my PC had 48, Thorn's had 37). He said we should have no more than 35 max. We would have to call the manufacturers of each of our computers and have them tell us which processes were unnecessary so we could delete them.
    .......Serously! When Thorn got home his first words were, "BS!!"

Called Comcast High Speed, picked up their modem that afternoon, hooked it up and - -

BOOM!!

Faster than the speed of light! More powerful than a locomotive!! Able to leap tall buildings..... well, you get the picture :lol There was absolutely nothing wrong with our PCs. Verizon just sucked! They couldn't handle their influx of new customer usage. Keep giving service like this, and they won't have to worry about it - everyone will cancel and go back to Comcast, like us.

/rant :eyes

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Typical customer support bastards. They always try make it seem like their crap product and/service is somehow your fault. :yell

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I hate my verizon, it keeps going out, like every day :(

I hate when they tell me it's my fault. I'm a software engineer, I'm more advanced than the ideas on the other end of the line :mad

7. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

My SO (who is also a professional computer nerd) said that it's obvious that the person on the phone had no idea what he was talking about.

8. Poky

Poky Banned

I know someone that had Verizon DSL and they too had nothing but problems with it. The tech terds also told them it was their equipment and tried to have them do a million different things. Of course, nothing they did worked and they would lose connection every 15 minutes or so. Regardless to say, Verizon isn't their provider anymore..

9. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I don't want to sound like a bigot, but does anyone else find it impossible to understand the people from tech support? Indian accents are so hard to understand.

10. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Well I have Cox, and yes I love them awesome cable company when it comes to my net, and the name fits me, so saying I love them is well.. LOL
    I have heard horrible things about Verizon.

11. igor

Gold Member

I don't care what company you call for tech support - they all go by a script. You "have to" do things in a certain order - makes no difference if you just did it 10 minutes ago.
    You can try and tell them you want a supervisor (or someone you can understand) which may help.

I have AT&T DSL and no problems so far that I haven't been able to solve by rebooting the router and/or modem.

Oh yeah - those internet speed programs are crap. I tried 6 of them the other night and they were all way different.

12. smith1234

smith1234 New Member

I love my FiOS

13. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

Comcast sucks because of the damn price. If it wasnt for the outrageous price, i'd love them.

I have AT&T DSL, and have no problems at all! Also, as of right now there are 55 processes running on my laptop and i have perfectly good speeds. lol

14. heelfetish

Gold Member

That's an understatement. Typical pimple-faces HS kid reading possible causes out of a binder. *sigh*

I ran into the same thing (bad tech support) 2 nights ago. The kid was actually just reading the binder out loud to me. *bangs head against desk*

15. heelfetish

Gold Member

BTW, ISP experiences are different from one location to the next. Cable may be good in one area, DSL in another. Unless you're talking about the same house and comparing, there's no sense in arguing over which service is best, as everyone's experience will vary.

However, some services truly will SUCK in certain areas and for various reasons. The only thing you can do is hope you have an alternative. Luckily for you, you do. :tup

16. cook74

Gold Member

I've had problems, simple problems, that these people on the phone could have fixed easily. I had to get an experienced friend around to show me what's wrong before I phoned them again, told them the problem and advised them of my friend's solution before anything got done (20 hours off and on the phone:eyes)

17. Poky

Poky Banned

Here's a little hint...tell them you have already spoken to a tier 1 idiot, I mean tech support and you want to be transfered to the next level and if they say they need you to do this that or the other BS thing, tell them you want to speak to a manager..Tier 1 support people are useless for the most part, a bunch of idiots that have to read off que cards and barely know what an internet connection is...Always try for the next level, because a) they are a lot more helpful and usually listen to you and b) they are easy to understand because they speak unbroken english (not being rude or hateful, it's the truth)...

18. bucky

bucky New Member

I had Comcast up to 9 months ago and thought it was great. We changed to ATT DSL, Dish, and land phone just for economic reasons. After a few bugs with filters for the security alarm the DSL is just as fast as Comcast for half the cost. The techs at ATT were extremely helpful but that is just a matter of who you get and what kind of day they are having, IMHO.:lol