Vegan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikehoncho18, Oct 7, 2017.

1. afunk13

Gold Member

20171101_113659.jpg 20171025_112923.jpg

sensless likes this.
  2. afunk13

Gold Member

3. BeBop

Gold Member

So, here's a question for you:

If an atheist vegan does CrossFit and drinks craft beer, which of the four things do they talk about first? :p

Sorry. That's a joke that we kick around in my "Healthy Lifestyles" group.

lostinatx41 likes this.
  4. Maude

Gold Member

I'm vegan as well. Have been for about 3 or 4 years after reading The China Study. I still cook meat for JT and 2 of our kids (the third one is also vegan). I made the change to whole food plant based eating for health reasons, trying to be proactive and avoid the diabetes and heart disease that runs in my family.
    I don't take many pictures of my food, but you are all making some pretty tasty looking stuff!

mikehoncho18 and sensless like this.
  5. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I'm also concerned about avoiding diabetes and heart disease. Could you explain why being vegan is good against these two? I ask, because I didn't know. I'm interested.

6. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

Hey Maude, it's such a great thing. I don't regret a single bit going vegan, and this is coming from someone that LOVED meat but no.1 I feel a lot healthier, and no.2 it's way more sustainable for the environment and not to mention animal care. :)

Not judging anyone based on being vegan or not, but to me personally it's been a great change. :)

Maude likes this.
  7. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

If you can check these 3 documentaries:

What The Health (Netflix)
    Forks Over Knives (Netflix)
    Earthlings (stream online somewhere. It's about animal cruelty)

those 3 should get you on the right path towards being more informed. Sadly it's not about activism, it's about being informed, and sadly the WHO (world health organisation) and Department of Agriculture don't play fair.

sensless likes this.
  8. lostinatx41

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I could give up most meat, but I love fish and chicken too much. Eggs and cheese too. Breakfast is my favorite. I did the Whole 30 diet for a while. That helps, and also got me into black coffee.

9. sensless

I'll try to find them. I don't have Netflix, but I'll try to find them. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

10. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

no worries.

It was eye opening for me and what Maude said about the "china studies" which are in one of the documentaries I recommended. there's a great Youtube channel, very informative about Veganism that you might find interesting:

Check this video but his channel in general is a great source of info.

theBadBoy2 and sensless like this.
  11. Maude

Gold Member

#31 Maude, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    sensless likes this.
  12. Maude

Gold Member

@mikehoncho18 your avatar should be a poster for how to debunk the animal protein being necessary for muscle building myth

sensless likes this.
  13. sensless

Thank you very much!

In the first paper they've found that even sporadic consumption of meat and poultry increased the probability of developing type 2 diabetes!

I've been struggling with different ideas to change my diet. I don't like animal proteins much and the bulk of my diet is carbs.

However, I've read two recent studies that found that animal fat is important in preventing stroke and that the fat causing atherosclerosis is actually fat produced by bacteria in our mouths. They've found it while trying to understand the link between gum/dental diseases and heart problems.

On a third paper, I've read that they've found that an increase in carb consumption leads to an increase in deaths.

So, I'm actually forcing myself to consume more animal proteins and fats. But it's really not my thing.

I come to this thread to try to learn about proteins in a vegan diet. I know lentils, for instance, contain important amino acid's that, combined to amino acids of wholegrain rice, can have a positive impact towards the protein needs of our bodies.

I need to read more.

It's weighing the risks of diabetes against stroke and heart desease. It seems dementia/Alzheimer's affect less people who eat animal fats.

Please, don't think my post is trying to undermine vegan diets. I'm really genuinely interested, concerned about my health, because a vegan diet would actually fit my tastes better.

One of my concerns is omega 3 fatty acids. I've used chia and other seeds as a source, but I've found that the type of omega 3 in them need to be first transformed in another types of omega 3 to be used as anti inflammatory by our bodies. But we're not efficient at that transformation. So, we actually need animal omega 3. It's disappointing, seeing as our fish are full of mercury.

I'm reading about these things and trying to come to a conclusion about my diet. It's not easy.

I appreciate any input.

14. sensless

Please, can you tell me something about vegan chocolate? Where do you find it? Or do you make it yourself?

Don't hesitate to post dessert pictures!

15. sensless

@mikehoncho18, what are your sources of protein, now that you're vegan?

And all of you, vegan community, what are your favorite desserts?

16. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

thank you dear. TBH I've only been Vegan for 4 months now but I haven't really lost any "gains". I did lose body fat.

I think being Vegan is in no way detrimental to muscle gain :)

17. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

My sources of protein come from a lot of places, surprisingly it's a lot more varied now than when I was eating meat.

I eat a lot of legumes (huge variety of them too, red beans, black beans, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas..... and they all contain different types of protein amino acids)

I eat soy based proteins like the Linda McCarthy meat replacements, they taste delicious, super "meat like" and quite healthy without too much crap and fillers.

A lot of Avocado, Hummus, etc.

I won't go into the whole thing but the meat industry is based on years of conditioning (people tell you you NEED meat/animal based protein) and misinformation, a lot of it. The amount of hormones in the animal products we consume is insane (meats, fish, poultry, diary, etc etc etc) and lets not forget that in our modern diet based on a capitalistic model we don't eat animal source proteins a couple of times a week like humans used to, we eat it daily and multiple times a day.

What Maude sais is also VERY true.....a Vegan diet doesn't immediately mean HEALTHY....some ppl just cut out animal source foods but still stuff their faces with refined sugar and bad Carbs.

I eat twice as much food as I used to before I was vegan (I eat aroun 3 - 4 bananas a day, around one whole avocado, and a shit ton more food) and I lost fat. This is without trying to......I will go on a more strict "fitness" diet after the holidays and I assume dropping weight will be even easier.

sensless likes this.
  18. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

oh we make a lot of deserts, both me and the wife love cooking and making Vegan things. I'm a sucker for ice cream (there are some great vegan ones with no milk at all) but health wise we make almost anything you can think of. Check Youtube for Vegan deserts, they really really taste delicious :)

sensless likes this.
  19. sensless

That's encouraging. I'll give it a try.

I don't think I'll be using meat replacements. The taste of meat isn't one of my favorite and I can easily live without.

I need a chocolate something. Something easy to make, because I'm not good with cooking complicate food.

I'm doing a lot of reading on the papers cited on that video.

20. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

I am what I would describe a "cheatgan" hahaha....I'm 95% vegan, but I do still eat milk chocolate, I really like it and it's not a big deal, but almost everything else I'm 100% vegan