vasectomy question

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by pirouette, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirouette

Gold Member

I can't seem to find any threads about getting a vasectomy. My husband is considering it and I really would like to hear from any men that have had them. It's a fairly simple procedure from what people say. But I've had some "simple" procedures in my time. Some were fine and others were nightmares (like my wisdom tooth). :ugh Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I wish I could help you there. I don't know about that. However, I would really like to hear from some people who've delt with them also. My fiance is considering it in the future, when we marry. I don't want to do anything that would put him in danger, though.

3. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Hi Piroutte,
    On this I can comment with experience.
    The procedure:
    In my case it was done with local anaesthetic only and although a bit of aching for a day or two after there was relatively little discomfort.
    It is important that no physical work such as lifting be done for a couple of days because as a friend experienced this can cause severe haematoma ie bleeding in the ball bag > severe pressure pain and "black balls".

Con outcomes:
    It is important to understand that techiques used today will make reversal almost impossible.
    There exists a stastical higher rate of testicular cancer in men who have had a vasectony. This is likekly to be due to there being no outlet for the continued production of immature sperm cells which have to be reabsorbed by the body.

Pro outcomes:
    Total freedom from fear of unwanted pregnancy!
    No evident change in libido or perhaps due to the freedom above an actual rise in sexual appetite.
    No noticeable reduction in volume of ejaculated semen as sperms although numerous make up only a small proportion of the total volume.
    The following is only an anecdotel observation but in my opinion there is a large decrease in any unpleasant vaginal odour some hours after having vaginal sex. This if true and universal it is likely to be because there is a lot less DNA around for bacteria to break down releasing purines compounds which do tend to smell bad. The semen will still contain leucocytes (white blood cells) but in much smaller numbers than there would be if sperms were also present.

In summary;
    For us it was a blessed relief to have the ability to have sex any time we wish without resorting to artificial means of avoiding pregnancy.
    After 15 years, no single regret.

:cheer

4. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Ouch man, that black balls sounds freaking horrrrrible.

5. pirouette

Gold Member

Thanks for the input BushWalker. I appreciate your comments. Luckily, my husband can take a few days off without a problem. Heavy lifting isn't part of his job. I think he'll behave and rest like you suggested. Especially with that black ball threat! How many follow up visits did you have after the procedure (to make sure you were shooting blanks)? As my husband owns a microscope, I'm sure he'll be checking his own semen for swimmers afterwards anyway! Any residual scarring? Although, with the number of guiche and scrotum piercings he has, you probably wouldn't notice anyway.
    Reversal probably isn't something he'd be interested in. We have been married 14 years, and this decision didn't come lightly. We had a child about 6 years ago. He passed away after a very difficult and long pregnancy in ICU. After that experience, I am terrified to get pregnant again. My body had a dreadful time with the whole thing, and my husband and I decided that it wasn't worth dying over. We are considering freezing some of his little guys. I don't want any more children now (and I don't think I ever will, burying the first one was too hard.), but I'd hate to regret my decision later. Thanks for the advice.:)

6. pussycat69

Gold Member

My guy had one.I was there.It took about ten minutes.He was slightly uncomfortable for about 2 days with swollen balls.He said it wasn't nearly as bad as he thought and he would recommend it to any guy to do.And what a change(for the good)it made in the bedroom.Peace of mind!
    They gave him a local,so he didn't feel a thing.Pain killers to follow,but he opted for motrin instead.

You are supposed to take it easy for a few days.No heavy lifting(ice your balls),but he actually insisted on driving home and was fine.
    As for scars,they are pretty much invisible.They blend in with the 'wrinkles'(for lack of a better term) on your balls.You'd really have to search to see it.

good luck:)

7. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I had it done 7 years ago with a local. There was some discomfort during the procedure and for a few days afterwards, but no severe pain -- more like an ache. I was living alone at the time and don't recall how long I was to wait to have sex, but it seems it was a couple weeks. A male friend of my wife's had to "try it out" right after he had his done and had sex on the way home from the doctor's office. Yikes! I couldn't imagine doing that!!!

I drove home and pretty much stayed in bed for 24 hours after the surgery with an ice pack, took it real easy for another day, and then took an 800 mile driving trip on the third day. There was still that "ache" like something was pulling on my testicles, but I don't think I took any pain meds after the first day.

I never went back to see the doctor, just took a sample to the lab once or twice to make sure there were no sperm. There weren't.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is CERTAIN they'll want no more children. I was 53 at the time and was sure of that. I don't know about freezing the sperm and how long it lasts that way, but it sounds like a good idea. At least that still gives you the option of kids for awhile, so reduces the chance for immediate regrets.

8. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Wow, I am surprised so many men here have had it done.

9. pussycat69

Gold Member

Yea,my guy had a sample taken shortly thereafter.As for sex,2 weeks I think it was.It was WELL worth it though.I didn't mind that wait.He didn't stay in bed though...he just kinda loafed around.

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Hi again Piroutte,
    The routine here is to have the semen checked for the microscopic presence of sperms after 12 ejaculations or 3 months.
    It is best that the sample be produced after 3 - 5 days abstinence via masturbation and directly into a sterile sample jar. Do not use a condom or lubricant. Examination should be done within an hour of production.
    If there are no swimmers seen in a direct wet prep then the sample is centrifuged (spun) and the deposit checked for remaining sperms.
    Normal sperm count in fertile males is >20 million per ml of sample and normal ejaculate is 1 - 5 ml so there are a lot of around. Infertility is considered at a sperm count of < 4 million per ml but beware it only take one to make it to base. Post vasectomy and given sufficient time to clear the remaining vas deferens the count should be zero.
    Cryo storage of some quality sperms before the procedure sounds like a good idea although probably quite expensive.

My hearfelt condolences to you both with your very sad experience but thank you for sharing it with us.

May the sun shine upon you.

#10 lbushwalker, May 31, 2006
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  11. Jayce

Gold Member

Did it take a while for you guys to get used to having ZERO protection and just going off in your lady? I'd be so paranoid for a long time, even after my checkup when the doctor said "everything's okay!"

Granted, I'm sure it's nice to avoid all protection and still be "protected," but wasn't birth control enough of a piece of mind??

12. pirouette

Gold Member

Jayce,
    I think I'll be paranoid for awhile. Force of habit, I guess. I am considering using a spermicide for a while.....it will definately take time to get used to.:ugh
    Bushwalker - your condolences are appreciated. I guess I'm just sick of being paranoid. Like I'm really afraid of being pregnant again. I think it will really improve our sex life. At least there can be more spontanaety. :brow
    I often wished I could used use birth control pills, but my doctors have always said it isn't an option.
    I'm also pretty surprised that so many guys have had it done!

13. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

What do they do now? I thought before they kinda just snipped each tube and tied it?

14. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Jayce,
    It's not a good idea for women to remain "on the pill" for decades, and most other forms of birth control aren't as reliable and convenient. Condoms? Yech! They're a necessary evil at times, but nobody likes to use them.
    As for getting used to it, no problem at all! At my age, most women I've been with have either had a hysterectomy, have already started menopause, or have been on the pill. Not so with my wife, however, so when we got together I got snipped.

Acid,
    That's exactly what they do. Before they tie them, however, they pull (stretch?) them a little. That was the part that was a little uncomfortable.

Pirouette,
    You should be able to Google it and find all kinds of facts. Here's the first one that turned up: http://www.vasectomymedical.com/vasectomy-procedure.html

15. pussycat69

Gold Member

Being the woman in the relationship,I can say that it took some time getting used to,after being on birth control or using rubbers,but once you do...it is damn well worth it.I think both of our "drives" went up incredibly.

16. pirouette

Gold Member

Joe. Wow! :whoa That's a really informative site. Thanks for the link. I didn't know there were options for different types of vasectomies. I watched the video of the no scalpel vasectomy. Well....I almost watched it, through covered eyes, squinting. And I still got dizzy! I'm so lame.:ugh But thanks again for the info.

17. kinkywelshguy

kinkywelshguy New Member

hi pirouette,
    i had my vasectomy done 10 years ago. it was the best thing iv ever done. i found the worst bit was was the initial injection. it took about 20 mins for the op. i was told to wear a pair of well fitting underwear for a couple of days and take it easy. i cant remember how many ejaculations i had to have before going back with a sample (i remember telling my wife that i had to ejaculate at least 20 times in the next week but she didnt believe me lol)
    tell your hubby there is nothing to worry about and good luck
    steve

18. pirouette

Gold Member

Thanks Steve. Sounds like everyone here had good experiences with their vasectomies. My husband isn't the one who's worried about it. I am. He is a professional body piercer and jeweler, so the procedure won't scare him. Besides, his scrotum piercings are huge and he got through those with no anesthetics. But I think I feel a whole lot better now that I've heard so many good reports. Thanks guys!

19. Brad

Brad New Member

God I cringed when I saw this topic and threads!

Recently I was thinking about the snip. Until I asked a manager at our firm whom had it done with no problems.

He told me, "It was fine for me but one of my factory workers has been signed off sick and it is long term (several months so far). He had it done and got an infection so bad that he has to consider surgical removal of sgnificant parts of his genitalia."

He didn't give me further details as he had to respect this person's privacy.

And I know him well enough to know he wasn't exaggerating or making a nasty joke.

For me, no thanks.

It is not my intention to scare the pants off anyone considering it.

I guess the chances of severe complications are very low indeed.

But if you are about to proceed, make sure the surgeon or consultant explains fully any potential risks.

20. pirouette

Gold Member

Brad,
    I knew I'd hear about someone's bad experience eventually. Glad I did. I was starting to think everyone had better medical luck than me! :mad Yes, I fully understand the risk of infection. After having 3 major surgeries and 3 minor ones, I know about the risks. My husband does piercing and has 5 piercings in his scrotum (all 6 gauge and bigger). None got infected. But then, he knows the drill for keeping it clean. He has several ultrasonic units and 1 autoclave. He does know how to keep from infecting or cross contaminating the wound when changing a dressing.
    But it's true, no matter how hard you try, mistakes happen. Even in the OR. And as clean as you keep a wound, it still may become infected. Personally, I'd take the risk. But the chances of me dying in childbirth are way higher than hubby dying during a vasectomy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.