vaginal dryness? lube? yeast infections?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by wolfie3005, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfie3005

wolfie3005 New Member

hey all,

just stumbled on this board and man am I glad I did. Me and my g/f are having a serious problem...we have a great sex life and are very, shall we say, active. Recently though, she's been under a lot of stress and seems to be getting really dry when we're together. I got some lube (first time I tried using lube...I didn't think we'd like but it turned out we did like the extra slipperyness...it got a bit sticky though and smelled kinda bad...) but every time we've used it, she's gotten a yeast infection.

Does anyone know anything about what I/she can do to help her get more wet and/or if there is a connection between lubes and yeast infections? Any suggestions for dealing with the yeast infection problem?

thanks for your help with this and for being part of a forum where people talk about this kind of stuff.

wolfie

2. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

Can I ask what kind of lube you're using? If it's got a spermicide in it, it's been known to cause yeast infections. Plus, stress will help the growth of yeast too so that could be another factor. If she's been having these regularly, I'd suggest a gyno visit. There might be a bigger problem that is causing the yeast infections.
    Mainly it's a trial & error type deal. First try a different kind of lube (I like Astroglide since it's not a thick & the smell isn't bad. Plus it's spermicide free). If that doesn't help, have her see a doctor about it or at least give the doc a call.
    OH...are you using condoms? If so, have you changed brands recently? She may be having an allergic reaction to the latex. Just another thought to play with. Good luck & hope to see you posting!:D

3. Mongolguy

Mongolguy New Member

I'm glad shellen took that one 'cause she probably knows more than me.
    But I'll throw my two cents in anyway. Tell your g/f to drink lots of water, eat some live culture yogert. And remember "If it isn't spit, it isn't love." ;)

4. ViviWannabe

ViviWannabe New Member

Follow their ^ advice first. If it is not working, have your girlfriend visit the doctor with her next infection. It is either:

1. A bacterial infection, for which the yeast infection medicine will only make things worse,

or 2. She keeps recatching it from you, in which case she should tell her doctor she's sexually active, then they'll give her a pill and they'll give her one for you to take, too.

Men don't show symptoms of a yeast infection, but if they have sex with a girl who has one, they can give it back to her or infect other girls with it.

5. jasmine17

jasmine17 New Member

wolfie,

Boy do I understand the problem! Sounds very similar to my experience. I tried everything mentioned and more (went to an herbalist, did "candida cleanses", saw an acupuncturist, stopped eating wheat or dairy...) and nothing helped until I found the right lube.

Here's what I've learned: most lubes have glycerin in them that comes from animals or is synthetic (basically alcohol). These kinds of glycerin turn into sugar immediately in the body and feed the candida (the fungus that causes yeast infections). So, we tried a few non-glycerin lubes. There was a little imporvement but not that much. Then, I found this amazing stuff called "O'My Natural Lubricant with Hemp". It has vegetable glycerin which is different apparently in the way it breaks down but it also has HEMP in it. Hemp, it turns out, is absolutely amazing. I's really moisturizing but most importantly, it is anti-bacterial (and anti fungal) and actually helps inhibit yeast infections. Mine are gone...I just don't get them anymore. It's so fabulous. Oh, and the lube is also the best lube we've ever used (not gross tasting or sticky or staining etc.) Its available on line but we get the best price and, importantly, the 8oz. size with a pump (for times when one hand is all that's available ;) ) at www.InformedChoiceProducts.com

It's the best and has worked super well for us. That said, I agree with the others that , in addition to trying the O'My, you should probably get checked for yeast by your doctor and your gf should get a gyno check-up. I really hope this is helpful. It's

jasmine

ps. I also got their Kegelmaster device - which we absolutely love - from that site!! It's made me become ejaculatory - totally amazing - I don't mean this as an advertisement but I've become kind of obsessed with telling people about it becuase I think it is so so important for women to know that they can strenthen their vaginal muscles and how tremendous the effects are...talk about worthwhile exercise!

6. jasmine17

jasmine17 New Member

wolfie,

one other thing to consider...is she on the pill? The pill can be a factor in both vaginal dryness and yeast infections...aarg....

good luck and let us know how things go

jasmine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.