V Bulletin over phpBB Forum Software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Logger, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Logger

Gold Member

Dear Ryan,

I belong to a religious non-profit organization, and their discussion forum gets very little traffic, but it is a simple Earthlink Forum, with no editing, no search engine, and no list of posts by member.

I have seen some phpbb software forums. phpbb is supplied by sexyhosting.com, with their basic fee. I surmise that Sexual Fourms has downloaded V-Bulletin to the Sexy Hosting Server. The price is around $150.00 as I understand it. Are there any advantages that you particularly like with V-Bulletin over pphpbb, as an administrator?

I visited a website, for website administrators, webmasterforum.com, but it did not seem to focus on administering forums. Is there a website that has a forum for adminstrators of Forums, or for comparing features of Forums, Forum Software, and server host providers?

Thanks again for an enjoyable forum.

2. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

The main advantages are the support, fast replies, knowing that the developers are paid to work on the releases, not doing it in their free time. The software is flexible, easy to use and has a lot of power behind it.

The license cost was $100 'second hand'. Although it actually was brand new and the account was created for me under my name.

3. Logger

Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am just trying to list possible options for forum software and hosts, and listing advantages and costs for each.

I also read on a webmaster thread that V-Bulletin is faster than phpbb, particulary if there is some traffic. When I do a search on SF, I am always amazed at the speed of the results. Almost Instantaneous.

Another forum that had some hits for phpbb and V-bulletin was webhostingtalk.com

I heard of a new high end service called Wiki Wiki, but have not looked at it yet.

Thanks for the Info.

4. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

The forum software won't be changing any time soon. I have lifetime access to the software. My members area has expired, so when we need it I will have to pay $30 a years worth of upgrades.

5. markx

markx New Member

i really like vbulletin. it has a better look and feel