Unix/Linux

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Acid7711, May 4, 2006.

1. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard for Windows users. There's a LOT of people wanting it ported over, but it's too good of a program :D

I dunknow, it has everything. An underlying plugin interface that is capable of pretty much anything, the way it groups your music and playlists is far supirior to anything else I've found. It shows can grab covers, lyrics, has rating system implanted into it, music brains, last.fm all integrated. It is also able to suggest songs based on not only what your currently listening to, but what it knows you like. The dynamic playlist mode is pretty cool. The built in wiki tab is also handy :) Above all, it's euphoria in a music app :)

I've searched around to try to find any other app that does what this single one does and makes it look good with a low memory footprint. I haven't found anything that compares to it yet.

[​IMG]

2. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Looks like an iTunes clone. ;) I don't use Linux enough, nor my laptop for that matter. I think I will clean up my desk this weekend and make some changes.

3. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

As far as I know, amaroK was released way before itunes was :) I could be wrong though. I'm not a huge fan of Apple, so I'm not up on their stuff. You should make some changes on it ;) A nice dual boot setup? hehe

4. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

My laptop is dual booted with Windows XP and Fedora Core 4. I'm not dual booting on my desktop. ;)

5. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Good plan.

Yeah, I've got a dual boot on here, but honestly, I don't remember the last time I even booted into WinXp. I do remeber, the last time I did, I found it to be way to...I dunknow? Just, not in place I guess. Hah, if that makes sense. Probably not. I kept the dual boot for the sole purpose of very occationally being able to enjoy games that I still can't get to work properly under Linux. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of Gimp, I still like Photoshop better. And to that, Crossover Office does a wonderful job :)

I laugh whenever the new virus/spyware/adware crap comes out and starts taking the world by storm. Not having to fear going to webpages and having stuff being able to mysteriously install itself. Safe once again :)

6. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I just loaded up Fedora on my laptop, problem is I can't get my wireless card to work in Linux, it does in WinXP though. A major download to it. I'm using the Intel Pro Wireless, any ideas?

7. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Here's my laptop specs:

Fujitsu N3510
    Win XP Home/Fedora Core 4 | Intel Centrino 1.73Ghz | 60GB HD | 512MB Ram | DVD-RW/+RW | 15.4" WXGA Widescreen | ATI X300 64mb PCI-E | Intel 2200BG Wireless

8. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Hmmm. I got mine on my laptop to work perfectly. It's a linksys usb adapter. I don't remeber the model number off the top of my head. My desktop was a piece of cake with just gigabit ethernet. Wireless is still a pita.

I know a lot of people have had success, myself included, with using NDIS Wrapper. It takes your windows drivers, copied to a local directory of course, and loads them under Linux for use. It did take some screwing with. It was kinda a pita the first time getting to properly take, but after that, everything went nice and smooth.

I found this, but I'm unsure if it will help you, or if it's even your particular model or anything: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

Edit: Well, it apears that page is made specifitically for your adaptor :D Hopefully it can help you get it to work? It looks a little more involved than the using the wrapper.

9. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I tried using that a long time ago and I didn't get it to work because I got confused. :(

10. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Well, it's past 5am here, I'm not thinking so good right now hehe. In any event, feel free to hit me up on aim if you need anything.

I lost all the pages that I used to get my laptop's wireless up and runing. I need to find the list for the wrapper, then it shouldn't be to hard. I've searched around and found out that, at least I think that your adaptor should be ndis compadible. Sooo. Yeah.

Tomorrow I'll try to see if I can bring up that list and find some info on what I did again.

11. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Alrighty, thanks. :) I'll hit you up tomorrow on AIM.

12. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Well, I was hopin to see ya on, but you aren't, sooo...

You'll need to find, I'm assuming you'll still be using RedHat, n rpm file in that case for ndis wrapper and get that installed. After that, we can work on getting the driver to work and then setting up the wlan file.

13. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I'll just plug it in manually and use yum to download ndis wrapper.

14. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Back to the music topic. I run iTunes on my WinXP laptop. I HATE Windows Media Player so I switched over to iTunes and haven't looked back. It automatically organizes my files. Since I don't know how to use bit torrents and don't care to learn how to use WinAMP, I'm happy.
    Current Library- 1899 songs 5 days, 19 hours and 2 seconds of music on 8.49 gigs ... not too shabby.

15. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Hah, well this kinda got split off from the original music topic, buut, yeah I always used winamp. Moving to amaroK (or any much larger, more advanced program) from a tiny one took some time to learn but yeah. I live with the shortcut keys now, winkey+c = pause, etc..

Just so we're clear, that isn't my screenshot up ontop ;) Don't get me wrong, I think he's got a couple alright songs, but not a die hard fan :D

Actually, Ryan, I was working on writing my own amaroK-clone for win32 based platforms. It was durring my "I love Linux but I'm not good enough to use it constantly" and I got sucked back into windows. What better thing to do than to start coding a player :D I never actually finished it. It was fully working, but the suggested songs and database still needed a bit of work. It downloaded and loaded all the album covers, playlists, downloaded and saved all lyrics, etc. Pretty decent program. I used it all the time even while still working on it. Here's a couple screenshots. I know this is kinda the wrong section maybe, so move at will. :D

The crappy one is from the day I started writing it, and the better looking one is what I ended up with the day I stopped working on the project.

Attached Files:

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

17. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I've YUM'ed NDIS Wrapper. I was going to work on it tonight but working on launching my new site, maybe I'll work on it some tonight.

18. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Ok, first things, you need to get the .sys and .inf file for the card copied to a location on your root partition in linux. Those files are a must. Any other ones related to the card would be a good idea, and might be required too.